Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,042,704 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some input. Right now I live in central North Carolina and after having given it 8 years, it isn't working for me. My reasons are the terrible job market and the culture of the state. I'm originally from Miami, but after going back to Miami several times to visit and checking on jobs, things don't look good there.

Aside from Florida, I've lived in the Cleveland area too for a few years. The reason I left there was of course the weather. I have visited Arizona a few times and loved it. The sunsets were awesome and waking up to sunshine every day was tremendous. My only reservations about it and New Mexico are the heat and I guess the fear of the unknown, i.e. what if I move there and it doesn't work out, then I've spent on a cross-country move?

I'm currently doing temp work in administrative capacities and have taught ESL to adults part-time off and on. Many years back, in Miami, I worked in human resources at two hotels, and I really loved it, so after getting laid off here in NC, I had the opportunity to take a short human resources assistant certificate course which I completed in 4/10.

What I'm looking for in a place to live is a place that is accepting of people from other places, unlike here in the South. I am female, single and 50-ish. I like outdoor festivals, music, art, dining out with other singles, and ethnic diversity too. I thought weather was very important in the past but now I'm wondering about that. Being comfortable with the people of the area is probably outranking that for me nowadays. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:38 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times
Maybe try Austin,Texas- the economy is better there than in Phoenix and there are a lot more educated, skilled people than Phoenix. The weather is warm most of the year and they have a good downtown. Phoenix is a nice place to live but the main problem is job quality here tends to be not good.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
In all fairness: factoring in the lack of humidity; it is no hotter here that Miami Fla IMHO.

Why I say that is I had to make an emergency trip (family reasons) to near Palm Beach last October and; despite it only be ca. 86F, I thought I was going to die due to the damn humidity---------man, I was missing our 100F days here.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: factoring in the lack of humidity; it is no hotter here that Miami Fla IMHO.

Why I say that is I had to make an emergency trip (family reasons) to near Palm Beach last October and; despite it only be ca. 86F, I thought I was going to die due to the damn humidity---------man, I was missing our 100F days here.
I wonder if you adjust to humidity over time. AZ-ans are so sensitive to it they can tell when a pot is boiling in a room. Maybe people who live in humidity day in and day out don't notice it like we do.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wonder if you adjust to humidity over time. AZ-ans are so sensitive to it they can tell when a pot is boiling in a room. Maybe people who live in humidity day in and day out don't notice it like we do.
Not true in my case. I had less tolerance for Wash DC summers 35 years ago than I do for our much hotter albeit drier ones here. Although; places like Bullhead City are indeed nasty and dangerous in the summer-------that 5+ degrees plus the humidity from the Colorado River make things worse.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:41 PM

I've been to Phoenix twice, once in April and then for Christmas. I did experience the heat in April, as it was just starting to go into the triple digits, but I haven't been there in the middle of summer. Maybe I need to do that too. April didn't bother me at all.

The job situation is bad everywhere right now, but it's very bad here in the Triangle in NC. I just recently read that the economy is doing much better in Arizona. Not true?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:48 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You could be right, if people are born to it or live with it long enough. I spent five summers in Detroit and I honestly never did get used to the humidity. I was born and raised in the desert but figured I'd acclimate. I didn't deal well with their winters either though. Does that mean I was "spoiled" weather wise??

Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I've been to Phoenix twice, once in April and then for Christmas. I did experience the heat in April, as it was just starting to go into the triple digits, but I haven't been there in the middle of summer. Maybe I need to do that too. April didn't bother me at all.

The job situation is bad everywhere right now, but it's very bad here in the Triangle in NC. I just recently read that the economy is doing much better in Arizona. Not true?
Triple digits in April???? When was that? It's mid May now and I don't think it's hit triple digits anywhere in the state yet. In fact it's been downright gorgeous...except for the wind sometimes. June is a different story but still not the hottest.

Don't know about the economy. Where I live there's tons of ads for jobs in the hospitality business. Guess they haven't heard we are being boycotted by everybody.

Oh yeah, and if you speak Spanish that's a bonus and you're more likely to get hired.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
April 21st 2009 was one of the recent days it hit triple digits in Phoenix, AZ. It's hit triple digits in the month of March and the earliest triple digit was in Feb 1987.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Aside from weather, how is it for transplants, particularly like myself, middle-aged plus, and "not being from around here"...are the locals generally open and welcoming? In the years I have lived in North Carolina, I have repeatedly gotten questions such as "what brought you here?" and "what church do you attend?"...it wasn't like that in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona