Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Annie7 wrote that she was saying this law might affect her decision to move here.

I know that I don't want 1070 to attract the wrong type of people moving here. Lord knows we don't need any racist uneducated good ole boys wanting to move here; that's not going to help the state. You may not like them but Liberal yuppies who are educated at Ivy Leagues schools are the ones who bring jobs to this state and head up Fortune 500 companies not good ole boys without college degrees. Think about what type of people you want to attract. If I have a choice between a liberal engineer from the Bay area or a "Patriot" blue collar worker from Texas who thinks his state is too easy on immigrants, I'll take the engineer every time. You guy are always complaining about not enough corporate headquarters and white collar jobs being available, guess what, Billy Bob with his gun on the border and his hatred for Mexicans aren't the types of people who are starting the next high tech company here.
You are worried that 1070 puts people in buckets (being judged by the color of your skin). I suspect if I was Hispanic, I might be a little concerned about 1070 as well. I also would worry that I might be wrongly questioned occasionally. As in, once every few years would be bad enough. I'd be upset if that happened to me but could deal with that (IF it ever happened). BUT... I'd give the police some crap if I got pulled over because of the color of my skin and let his superiors know about it as well if it was way out of line.

Saying all of this, now you are making judgments on who is in favor of this. You assume Red-Neck uneducated Billy Bob types. Who is guilty of prejudging people now??

People running companies are Capitalists. They went the "Ivy League" schools because they knew it would open doors and they are THE finest educational institutions in the world. On average, I'd predict most CEO's are Republicans (Ivy League educated or not). On average, the surplus of money as well as the lack of money has a way of changing our political view points.

For me. I'm looking to move to AZ at least 1/2 time. I don't want to move to a State like CA (my 1st choice by the way) that cannot say no to spiraling budgets. Illegal’s are a big part of their financial problems. AZ was bleeding in red ink with all of the giveaways. 1070 was about the only way to fight back from drowning in debt. So for me, I'm more convinced than ever to move to AZ.

Oh, I'm a Republican, college educated (Engineering and Business) and own a business what would hire people in AZ. I also know plenty of business owners. In my sphere of people that I deal with, well over 1/2 are Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM

117 posts, read 251,206 times
I have been planning our move to AZ since December and now I want to go even more. We leave on June 18th and are more excited than ever. We feel the law is a good choice. This is something that should have always been enforced. The people that are against it don't know the law and just like something to cry about anyways. It isn't hurting any citizens, it is helping them!!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 PM

21 posts, read 101,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basebcs View Post
I will be moving to Phoenix in the fall (from Minnesota) and closed on a house just before the whole immigration flap started.

While I support stricter enforcement against illegal immigation, I don't know if I would have moved forward with the home purchase at this time if I hadn't already closed on the house. I'm concerned that all the negative publicity (whether justified or not) will ultimately further hurt the AZ economy and cause housing prices to fall even further.

Just curious if anybody else is considering moving to AZ and holding off as a result of the negative publicity regarding the new immigration law?
I do worry a bit about the affect it will have on my family ( my husband is Mexican) But after we weighed the pros and Cons we still think that moving to AZ is the best idea for is. So to answer your question yes SB1070 made me thank twice about moving but we are hoping that it will handled like it should with lots of training so we don't run into profiling and other issues like that.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYLD View Post
I do worry a bit about the affect it will have on my family ( my husband is Mexican) But after we weighed the pros and Cons we still think that moving to AZ is the best idea for is. So to answer your question yes SB1070 made me thank twice about moving but we are hoping that it will handled like it should with lots of training so we don't run into profiling and other issues like that.
What people miss is the fact that profiling happens no matter what law is on the books or whatever training is done.
It's human nature to "profile" ones surroundings including people/animals around you, that's how you make decisions about where to go,stay or run from.
As an example, let's say you're walking down the street and a stray tea cup poodle comes up to you and starts barking. Are you going to be afraid? Most likely no, you're going to look at the dog and think "really?"
Now change that dog to a pit bull or german shepard and what would the thought process be?
You don't know the dogs BUT generally you know what their behavior has been as a breed so your brain profiles the breed and you go on alert.
Yes it's a bit simplified of an example but it makes you think....

Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 PM

128 posts, read 447,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What people miss is the fact that profiling happens no matter what law is on the books or whatever training is done.
It's human nature to "profile" ones surroundings including people/animals around you, that's how you make decisions about where to go,stay or run from.
As an example, let's say you're walking down the street and a stray tea cup poodle comes up to you and starts barking. Are you going to be afraid? Most likely no, you're going to look at the dog and think "really?"
Now change that dog to a pit bull or german shepard and what would the thought process be?
You don't know the dogs BUT generally you know what their behavior has been as a breed so your brain profiles the breed and you go on alert.
Yes it's a bit simplified of an example but it makes you think....
What da! Seriously? Can you put it in terms of humans please? I'm curious to hear what you have to say?

As far as answering the OP's concern, I don't think people in general will change their minds moving here to AZ because of SB1070. Personally, I have no problem with that law as long as it requires everyone (and I mean everyone) to carry a proof of citizenship or legal status.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 AM

15 posts, read 30,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
I will certainly limit my time spent in Arizona now. I must drive through it, and sometimes I used to stop in certain places. I will minimize the time I spend there.
Same here except I won't be going to Kalifornia. I live outside Phoenix.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
Well my problem is that I'm a liberal (atheist, womanizing) engineer with a Master of Science who is a California native and moved to Arizona in the mid 1990s. In the classical liberal sense I am for civil rights and the free market, meaning I don't believe in taxation nor do I believe in social spending. I don't like people picking my pocket for their subistence.

Either open the borders and abolish all social spending or build a wall and check everyone's ID. There cannot be any middle ground because it's going to be murders, home invasions, more people caught in crossfilres, more AK-47s used by illegals to shoot police and civilians.

If you want open borders you better push for an abolition of taxes and social spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Annie7 wrote that she was saying this law might affect her decision to move here.

I know that I don't want 1070 to attract the wrong type of people moving here. Lord knows we don't need any racist uneducated good ole boys wanting to move here; that's not going to help the state. You may not like them but Liberal yuppies who are educated at Ivy Leagues schools are the ones who bring jobs to this state and head up Fortune 500 companies not good ole boys without college degrees. Think about what type of people you want to attract. If I have a choice between a liberal engineer from the Bay area or a "Patriot" blue collar worker from Texas who thinks his state is too easy on immigrants, I'll take the engineer every time. You guy are always complaining about not enough corporate headquarters and white collar jobs being available, guess what, Billy Bob with his gun on the border and his hatred for Mexicans aren't the types of people who are starting the next high tech company here.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 AM

209 posts, read 502,863 times
We used to live in AZ now we are definetly thinking about moving back due to this bill. I would be proud of a state that stands up and does this. Unlike North Carolina where we welcome illegals into our colleges Community College Policy on Illegal Immigrants Decried :: WRAL.com this is another reason to move back to AZ.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Well my problem is that I'm a liberal (atheist, womanizing) engineer with a Master of Science who is a California native and moved to Arizona in the mid 1990s. In the classical liberal sense I am for civil rights and the free market, meaning I don't believe in taxation nor do I believe in social spending. I don't like people picking my pocket for their subsistence.

Either open the borders and abolish all social spending or build a wall and check everyone's ID. There cannot be any middle ground because it's going to be murders, home invasions, more people caught in crossfires, more AK-47s used by illegals to shoot police and civilians.

If you want open borders you better push for an abolition of taxes and social spending.
I am a little surprised that you an I are on the same fence. I agree with you on this post.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
I think 1070 is a good decision. Everyone should be free to chose where they want to live- but just be here legally- that's the problem so many people are here illegally. It's mostly the illegals that are upset about it since they are here illegally in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona