Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 20,831 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Phoenix in the fall (from Minnesota) and closed on a house just before the whole immigration flap started.

While I support stricter enforcement against illegal immigation, I don't know if I would have moved forward with the home purchase at this time if I hadn't already closed on the house. I'm concerned that all the negative publicity (whether justified or not) will ultimately further hurt the AZ economy and cause housing prices to fall even further.

Just curious if anybody else is considering moving to AZ and holding off as a result of the negative publicity regarding the new immigration law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM

276 posts, read 805,321 times
If I could, I would move there now more than ever. But the Military still owns me for 3 more years, unless I re-up.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,663 times
I don't see how saving money because the state won't be paying for as many illegals is going to hurt the state.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
We've been planning on moving to AZ for several years. One thing that I've been apprehensive about is always reading about the flood of illegal aliens that are coming across our borders in CA, AZ, NM, and TX. I know that even though it's a federal law that's being broken, that basically the federal government does nothing about it. The fact that AZ has stepped up and is attempting to enforce the federal law is refreshing, and encouraging.
I know that some people (mostly people who have not read SB1070) think that the AZ law is a negative thing- however according to numerous polls, most Americans believe the immigration laws should be enforced, and support AZ's effort to do so.

There are estimates that the cost of dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona alone is in the billions- so as far as economic impact, I think that the cost of NOT addressing the problem is far greater than the cost of whatever boycotts are cropping up here and there. Many of the people ranting about this law have not read what it says... and you can tell they haven't by what they say.

So, to answer your question, no, this law has not deterred us. On the contrary, I am happy someone's trying to do something about it. And 4 weeks from tomorrow we'll be on our way there!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
SB1070 is actually making me proud of Arizona and more likely to buy a house than before this passed. I have been renting in Arizona since I became a permanent resident in the mid 1990s. I think Arizona will clean up, become less third-worldly, and the crime rate will go down if we get rid of the illegal aliens. Arizona will look golden compared to California.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Annie7 wrote that she was saying this law might affect her decision to move here.

I know that I don't want 1070 to attract the wrong type of people moving here. Lord knows we don't need any racist uneducated good ole boys wanting to move here; that's not going to help the state. You may not like them but Liberal yuppies who are educated at Ivy Leagues schools are the ones who bring jobs to this state and head up Fortune 500 companies not good ole boys without college degrees. Think about what type of people you want to attract. If I have a choice between a liberal engineer from the Bay area or a "Patriot" blue collar worker from Texas who thinks his state is too easy on immigrants, I'll take the engineer every time. You guy are always complaining about not enough corporate headquarters and white collar jobs being available, guess what, Billy Bob with his gun on the border and his hatred for Mexicans aren't the types of people who are starting the next high tech company here.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-18-2010 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,612 times
I will certainly limit my time spent in Arizona now. I must drive through it, and sometimes I used to stop in certain places. I will minimize the time I spend there.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
If I was going to move back to Arizona (believe it or not) SB 1070 would not affect my decision. The reason is I am a very pale skinned white boy. However, if I was Hispanic (or even looked it), I DEFINITELY would change my plans and not move to Arizona.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Annie7 wrote that she was saying this law might affect her decision to move here.

I know that I don't want 1070 to attract the wrong type of people moving here. Lord knows we don't need any racist uneducated good ole boys wanting to move here; that's not going to help the state. You may not like them but Liberal yuppies who are educated at Ivy Leagues schools are the ones who bring jobs to this state and head up Fortune 500 companies not good ole boys without college degrees. Think about what type of people you want to attract. If I have a choice between a liberal engineer from the Bay area or a "Patriot" blue collar worker from Texas who thinks his state is too easy on immigrants, I'll take the engineer every time. You guy are always complaining about not enough corporate headquarters and white collar jobs being available, guess what, Billy Bob with his gun on the border and his hatred for Mexicans aren't the types of people who are starting the next high tech company here.
Are you implying that only non-degreed people, or Texans with guns are in favor of enforcing our nation's immigration laws, and that Ivy League educated people are in favor of not enforcing these laws?
Because that's what SB1070 boils down to- enforcement of our immigration laws.

Where does Billy Bob who hates Mexicans come into play in this thing?

But if you insist on trying to assign some correlation of this bill to the likelihood of a given person moving here, let's compare apples to apples.

Instead of comparing a liberal Ivy League yuppie vs a gun-totin redneck, why don't we make the comparison between a liberal Ivy league yuppie vs a conservative small business owner, and then make a separate comparison between your gun-totin redneck vs some illegal jobless person moving here as a result of the bill.

Have you even read SB1070 and the amendments in HB2162? Can you tell me exactly what you find wrong with it?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
I've been looking into buying a second home in either Nevada or Arizona,both areas have good real estate deals right now. Arizona is now my only choice!

I'm happy to see the Governor cares about the people and her state rather than pissing off the Federal Govt. who should've been enforcing these laws all along! Most people against this bill are either ILLEGAL or have never read it and have NO IDEA what it's about!

I'm sick of living in a state that gives my hard earned LEGAL money to ILLEGALS.I still cannot believe this is even legal. We've been housing Obama's aunt here for years when she was ordered to leave in '04! My health insurance went up 40% this year and she receives hers FREE!!! What's wrong with this picture?

Those of you who are against this bill and don't have to deal with these issues would have a different opinion if it was happening in your own back yard or effecting you financially!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona