Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM

26,514 posts, read 36,385,293 times

Advertisements

As a dark haired citizen of the United States of America, this concerns me and I have a few questions to ask in the hopes of gaining some clarity.

Please bear with me. Although I lived in AZ for a short time years ago (Flagstaff), I've spent most of my life in the northern part of the country. Here in Alaska, illegal immigration isn't a problem, at least not in my part.

From what I understand, if I were to visit AZ, I could be stopped and asked for "papers" based on a subjective analysis of my appearance. I don't have papers. I have a driver's license and the other usual forms of ID.

My name could be interpreted by the not so very well educated as of being of Latin origin (which of course it is, being an Italian name).

This post isn't meant as "bait" of any kind; I really don't know the answers to this. I must admit that I dislike the idea of being subject to being asked for my papers based on my appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Nope, not a troll. I have some honest questions here. You might want to check my posting history and reputation points for some reassurance for your concerns, though.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 PM

675 posts, read 1,407,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As a dark haired citizen of the United States of America, this concerns me and I have a few questions to ask in the hopes of gaining some clarity.

Please bear with me. Although I lived in AZ for a short time years ago (Flagstaff), I've spent most of my life in the northern part of the country. Here in Alaska, illegal immigration isn't a problem, at least not in my part.

From what I understand, if I were to visit AZ, I could be stopped and asked for "papers" based on a subjective analysis of my appearance. I don't have papers. I have a driver's license and the other usual forms of ID.

My name could be interpreted by the not so very well educated as of being of Latin origin (which of course it is, being an Italian name).

This post isn't meant as "bait" of any kind; I really don't know the answers to this. I must admit that I dislike the idea of being subject to being asked for my papers based on my appearance.
It sounds like you've been getting your info from people who have not read the bill... like perhaps our AG Holder... or perhaps Napolitano... or maybe even Barack himself? All of whom have made crazy assertations similar to yours, and then later admit to not having read the actual bill.
Anyway, I would recommend reading the bill for yourself--
SB1070: ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW (Links to Bill Text, Chronology, Guide) « FactReal

before concluding that you need 'papers'. Do you have a driver's license? well then hey, you're all set. News flash- they're already asking for those in every state when you get pulled over, and that, or any of several other alternative ID's, is sufficient.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,009,382 times
To my understanding, you cannot get a valid drivers license if you're illegal? But perhaps thats just my state?

I think you'd be fine. They'd hear the difference in your accent at the very least and know,plus look at your license or even the tag on your car and know where you were from.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
To my understanding, you cannot get a valid drivers license if you're illegal? But perhaps thats just my state?

I think you'd be fine. They'd hear the difference in your accent at the very least and know,plus look at your license or even the tag on your car and know where you were from.
Well...I spend a lot of my off season time in Oregon and until recently it was relatively easy for illegals to get driver's licenses. A couple of years ago they enacted some new regs though.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,571,261 times
Simple answer, Metlakatla . . .

DON'T BREAK THE LAW AND YOU'LL BE JUST FINE.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,009,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well...I spend a lot of my off season time in Oregon and until recently it was relatively easy for illegals to get driver's licenses. A couple of years ago they enacted some new regs though.
Really? Here they must produce the original birth certificate and present some other form of picture ID (Bank card with picture, school badge, etc) when first obtaining a license.

Illegals can get an ID card for indentification purposes, but not a license.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
It sounds like you've been getting your info from people who have not read the bill... like perhaps our AG Holder... or perhaps Napolitano... or maybe even Barack himself? All of whom have made crazy assertations similar to yours, and then later admit to not having read the actual bill.
Anyway, I would recommend reading the bill for yourself--
SB1070: ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW (Links to Bill Text, Chronology, Guide) « FactReal

before concluding that you need 'papers'. Do you have a driver's license? well then hey, you're all set. News flash- they're already asking for those in every state when you get pulled over, and that, or any of several other alternative ID's, is sufficient.
Thanks for your post; yeah, I've got a driver's license as stated in my OP. But I've heard so much about these "papers" that I was wondering if that would suffice.

Nonetheless...I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of myself or a family member being asked for ID in AZ based only on the color of our hair. I have very little doubt that if that were to take place we'd be fine...it's just the thought of being possibly singled out because of physical characteristics that causes consternation.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Really? Here they must produce the original birth certificate and present some other form of picture ID (Bank card with picture, school badge, etc) when first obtaining a license.

Illegals can get an ID card for indentification purposes, but not a license.
In Oregon they have started doing what they call "facial imaging" and requiring an original Birth Certificate, but that was only a couple of years ago.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Simple answer, Metlakatla . . .

DON'T BREAK THE LAW AND YOU'LL BE JUST FINE.
Naturally I have less than no intention of breaking the law should I decide to visit AZ or anywhere else, and based on what has been said here so far, my ID would be sufficient to satisfy anyone who decided to ask for it. Once again, I'm wondering if just my physical appearance is enough to warrant my being questioned as to citizenship. Personally I have nothing to fear, but I do fear this kind of precedent being set in my country where people who look less than "white" can be questioned at will be law enforcement personnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona