Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 28,578 times

Advertisements

Guys,
I am driving to San diego from AZ(gilbert) this summer(mid june). How is the drive? and sceanic views while driving to san diego? Is the drive safe? I am planning to leave between 8-9 am. How`s the wheather is san diego?
I heard that it will be super hot and I need to take a lot of water with me. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM

76 posts, read 220,281 times
It's pretty boring. The mountains are pretty, but other than that, it's a dry, desolate drive. Take a few extra gallons of water just in case, but as long as your car is in working order, you should be fine. Gila Bend is an interesting town. The former KDKB djs always bagged on it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
It's amazing scenery once you get to the Imperial Sand Dunes. Before that, not so much. And then going up that mountain on the Indian reservation is also super scenery.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
The sand dunes are amazing if you have never seen them before, and going through the mountains is pretty fun, lots of boulders in some parts.

Make sure your car is in good running condition and you have plenty of water, you can EASILY overheat driving through the dunes. Don't use A/C unless you need too.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM

228 posts, read 818,158 times
Strange question for someone that lives in Arizona. But if you are new to the area or just visiting, the drive to San Diego is a bit boring (use to it by now) with most of it taking place in the desert. The short climb out of the desert begins around Ocotillo, CA with the steepest grades on the eastern slope. That's the only stretch of road (15 miles at the most) where it is recommended that air conditioning be shut off. Personally, I don't think it's necessary if you have a newer vehicle and not hauling something. I don't know what heard or what you're concerned about regarding safety but the condition of I-8 is very good. Elaborate some if you have a specific concern. Otherwise, I think it's a exceptionally safe drive. The only thing you may have to confront is boredom and the irritation of stopping for at least two border patrol checkpoints. Be advised that all of the Arizona rest stops are probably still closed. That only leaves two on the California side if you find them necessary. Gila Bend is not a bad place to take a break (Space something restaurant, McDonald's, Dairy Queen, etc.). Yuma is obviously larger with more dining choices. One of the few locations enroute that has a Starbucks. Another one is in El Centro, CA. You might like the sand dunes west of Yuma, unique. Probably the most interesting terrain begins west of Ocotillo, CA with rock formations, mountains and the start of some green vegetation if it doesn't brown or subsequently burn by the time you get there. Of course the desert weather in June is hot and dry but San Diego is still cool to somewhat cold. We have what is called May gray and June gloom. Temperatures don't really begin to pick up until late July. The exception is the occasional Santa Ana that brings in warmer and drier air. Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 28,578 times
Thanks all for you response espacially Trumph for great information. Well I am from Kansas and new to AZ. I read that these illegals hide in the bushes,near mountains..etc. As its very close to the border, so was little concerned about the safety.

But I really appreciate for great information. Thanks You all !!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 AM

228 posts, read 818,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimlightdiamonds View Post
T... I read that these illegals hide in the bushes,near mountains..etc. As its very close to the border, so was little concerned about the safety.
True but it's to escape detection by the Border Patrol. They're not there to hassle motorist, just to get across I-8. Be careful however if you see someone crossing the road (highly unlikely especially during the day) so you don't hit anybody. Thank media hype for exaggerating the criminal element that crosses the border illegally and the threat they pose to your safety. It is a problem but not to the extent that you should worry about traveling from Gilbert, AZ to San Diego, CA. Statistically and realistically a far greater threat is the possibility of getting into a traffic accident, more so as you get closer to San Diego. Like I said before, the most difficult part of the trip will probably be the boredom.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM

140 posts, read 467,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The sand dunes are amazing if you have never seen them before, and going through the mountains is pretty fun, lots of boulders in some parts.

Make sure your car is in good running condition and you have plenty of water, you can EASILY overheat driving through the dunes. Don't use A/C unless you need too.
Unless you have an older 90's car I wouldn't be concerned about overheating unless there is something like a freeway closure where you aren't moving. The air running over the radiator at 75MPH is more than enough to cool the engine. Car manufactures test worst case where the car has no air flow over the radiator so going 75MPH won't hurt anything with a newer well maintained car.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
What do you mean by 2 "border check points" do you have to drive through Mexico to get to Cali? can you tell me where on this map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Strange question for someone that lives in Arizona. But if you are new to the area or just visiting, the drive to San Diego is a bit boring (use to it by now) with most of it taking place in the desert. The short climb out of the desert begins around Ocotillo, CA with the steepest grades on the eastern slope. That's the only stretch of road (15 miles at the most) where it is recommended that air conditioning be shut off. Personally, I don't think it's necessary if you have a newer vehicle and not hauling something. I don't know what heard or what you're concerned about regarding safety but the condition of I-8 is very good. Elaborate some if you have a specific concern. Otherwise, I think it's a exceptionally safe drive. The only thing you may have to confront is boredom and the irritation of stopping for at least two border patrol checkpoints. Be advised that all of the Arizona rest stops are probably still closed. That only leaves two on the California side if you find them necessary. Gila Bend is not a bad place to take a break (Space something restaurant, McDonald's, Dairy Queen, etc.). Yuma is obviously larger with more dining choices. One of the few locations enroute that has a Starbucks. Another one is in El Centro, CA. You might like the sand dunes west of Yuma, unique. Probably the most interesting terrain begins west of Ocotillo, CA with rock formations, mountains and the start of some green vegetation if it doesn't brown or subsequently burn by the time you get there. Of course the desert weather in June is hot and dry but San Diego is still cool to somewhat cold. We have what is called May gray and June gloom. Temperatures don't really begin to pick up until late July. The exception is the occasional Santa Ana that brings in warmer and drier air. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Sceanic drive between AZ to San diego?-az-ca.jpg  

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 AM

76 posts, read 220,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What do you mean by 2 "border check points" do you have to drive through Mexico to get to Cali? can you tell me where on this map?

Two border patrol checkpoints. You are still in AZ, but BP set them up as monitoring posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona