U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 PM

457 posts, read 424,043 times
Default Mountain route from Holbrook to Phoenix

Can anyone who's driven this route comment on it?

Specifically, taking 377/277 to Heber, then 260 west to Payson, and then 87 south into Fountain Hills?

Is it 2 lanes? 4 lanes? I can't quite tell from the satellite images.
How twisty & hilly is it?

Should I have any concerns with a trailblazer towing a 6x12 uhaul?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM

380 posts, read 561,731 times
I cut through once from I-40 (near NM) to Phoenix. I wouldn't do it again.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM

276 posts, read 418,776 times
If I were you, I would use I-40 to I-17. 2 lane divided all the way.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:56 PM

6,329 posts, read 6,066,840 times
Heber to Payson on the 260 isn't bad at all. Drove it in a B RV. Most is 2 lane, occasional 4 lane.

Can't help you with the Payson to Fountain Hills on the 87 South. We went Northwest (87 - 260 - 17 - 169) to Pine - Camp Verde - Dewey. On that route, I thought my sister was going to burn her brakes out. White knuckles with her driving!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 PM

128 posts, read 216,504 times
The route for the most part is downhill, HOWEVER, there is one uphill grade on 87 southbound that is a killer. Can't remember the name, but I think it's the Sunflower Grade. After that, it's once again primarily downgrade.

The roads are all good, with 4 lane from Payson to Fountain Hills. I ran this route with my 40' 5th Wheel on many occasions when I had a place in Heber.

Much shorter than taking 40 to 17. Good scenery, but avoid traveling it at dusk, night, and dawn due to the Elk!

George

Old 05-30-2010, 04:52 PM

4,548 posts, read 3,191,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Can anyone who's driven this route comment on it?

Specifically, taking 377/277 to Heber, then 260 west to Payson, and then 87 south into Fountain Hills?

Is it 2 lanes? 4 lanes? I can't quite tell from the satellite images.
How twisty & hilly is it?

Should I have any concerns with a trailblazer towing a 6x12 uhaul?

Thanks
I've driven that route dozens of times and it's great, to me. Most of the hiway is brand new, especially 260 and 87 to Fountain Hills. Some is two lanes but they are wide and easy. The four lanes on 87 are divided hiway, two lanes on each side. I lived up there when they were building it and it made the trip so much easier. It's a beautiful drive too from desert to mountains back to desert. It's not terribly twisty or winding. I haven't been up there, or on either road, for a long time but I'm sure it's still an easy drive. You shouldn't have any problems with a U-Haul. There IS one very long curve on 87 not far out of Payson that they call Dead Man's Curve because there have been lots of accidents there but it's because it looks deceptively 'easy', is all downhill, and you need to go fairly slow on that but that's about it.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Heber to Payson on the 260 isn't bad at all. Drove it in a B RV. Most is 2 lane, occasional 4 lane.

Can't help you with the Payson to Fountain Hills on the 87 South. We went Northwest (87 - 260 - 17 - 169) to Pine - Camp Verde - Dewey. On that route, I thought my sister was going to burn her brakes out. White knuckles with her driving!
When I lived in Payson I did that road from Payson to the Verde Valley a LOT. Once you get through Strawberry it's just short curvy hop up to the top and then it's pretty straight all the way to 260 west. That's a bit curvy till you hit the flatlands but, lordy, is it a gorgeous drive. I never saw anything "white knuckle" about the drive. I really enjoyed driving it myself. And it's all downhill so you save gas!

Old 05-30-2010, 05:02 PM

6,329 posts, read 6,066,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I never saw anything "white knuckle" about the drive. I really enjoyed driving it myself. And it's all downhill so you save gas!
Oh, it wasn't the road. Sorry for the confusion.

It was my sister's driving - driving downhill and not judging distances and riding the brakes. Next I drive.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:12 PM

214 posts, read 807,362 times
Your route is absolutely no problem. Even pulling that trailer unless you have it packed full of lead the down hills are no more or less than coming down I-17. And the simple fact is; if you are headed to the eastern or central part of Phoenix metro you'll save about an hour and a half.

I've towed the race car up down and around so many different ways back and forth to CO from Tempe that I can assure you this is not some back woods, never been there road. Two lanes south of Holbrook but easy 75+mph if you're willing. Then it's dicey...cops watch the Heber area very well so take note. Then 260 (now a lot of four lane) is mostly 65 so again 70 is not an issue.

The route is barren in places and forested in others. But totally drivable by any car/truck/trailer. We recently came back via St. Johns due to the dust storm a few weeks ago and the Salt River canyon is nice but we forgot how much longer in TIME that route truly takes. Should have weathered the dust as it didn't hit Holbrook.

Enjoy.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Oh, it wasn't the road. Sorry for the confusion.

It was my sister's driving - driving downhill and not judging distances and riding the brakes. Next I drive.
Ahhh, gotcha. Hey, I think I followed your sister down that mountain at least once! I got so good at driving that road I probably could have done it blindfolded after a couple of years. lol I lived in Payson 14 years and my whole family lives here so I was down here really often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona