U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,605,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, how old were you when you lived in Ft Smith and for how long? Everyone has his/her opinions and that is what you are posting, an opinion. To say no one should ever visit of live there is a little over the top, especially when you talk out of both sides of your mouth. You talk about all the drinking and smoking and the next paragraph you mention all the So Baptist. Most people conplain about the So Baptist is Ft Smith, but I have rarely seen anyone talk about the amount of drinking people do. If the So Baptist influence is so strong how come the drinking is such as issue?

Now, as for some of your other comments, you really don't seen to have been exposed to much whether you think you have or not: Many of the things you disliked such as the crime issue and the zoining issue exists throughout our country in small towns and rural states particularly. As for education, people can be good and caring and successful without have formal educations.

I don't know why you had the problems you had but obviously you must have really experienced a horrible period in your life to hate a place quite that much.

Nita
Fort Smith has more Independent Fundamental Baptists (they make Southern Baptist look liberal) and Assembly of God than true Southern Baptists.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Fort Smith has more Independent Fundamental Baptists (they make Southern Baptist look liberal) and Assembly of God than true Southern Baptists.
I think that is what I am trying to say: Yes, from the little bit I know about Ft Smith, it is loaded with fundemental religious people period, so how does that match with a bunch of people who do nothing but drink constantly and smoke all the time. I was questioning the poster who was talking out of both sides of her mouth.

Nita

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,955,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think that is what I am trying to say: Yes, from the little bit I know about Ft Smith, it is loaded with fundemental religious people period, so how does that match with a bunch of people who do nothing but drink constantly and smoke all the time. I was questioning the poster who was talking out of both sides of her mouth.

Nita
Oh yeah plenty of fundies here. I am generalizing again, but my anecdotal evidence with some of the fundies here is that they are holier than thou one day and the next day falling in the gutter drunk and then they day after that giving their testimonial. There does not seem to be any moderation.

Again only anecdotal evidence, but there does seem to be more alcoholism here...and drinking and driving. There is only one taxi service here and a few bars downtown. I hope they have designated drivers. I have nothing against drinking...actually big fan, and if you live in Fort Smith you have to get through the day some how, but I do not drink and drive.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Oh yeah plenty of fundies here. I am generalizing again, but my anecdotal evidence with some of the fundies here is that they are holier than thou one day and the next day falling in the gutter drunk and then they day after that giving their testimonial. There does not seem to be any moderation.

Again only anecdotal evidence, but there does seem to be more alcoholism here...and drinking and driving. There is only one taxi service here and a few bars downtown. I hope they have designated drivers. I have nothing against drinking...actually big fan, and if you live in Fort Smith you have to get through the day some how, but I do not drink and drive.
Pretty funny stuff: glad you don't drink and drive, heck I am probably not safe driving even sober, just ask my husband and kids.

You are young, I am quite a bit older and remember when we did drink and drive (back in the 60s and 70) it scares the heck out of my just thinking about it.

Nita

Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 50,233 times
Unlike most comparably sized cities, the root of the Fort Smith culture revolves around religion. As mentioned above, there are three predominant religions (or denominations - if you prefer) in Fort Smith: Fundamentalist Baptist (ULTRA conservative), Southern Baptist/Catholicism (largely characterized by hypocrisy, as aforementioned), and Assembly of God (where I have had the most experience, so see below).

I don't have a problem with the fundamentalists, per se; however, they are the most conservative, head-in-sand group of people I have ever come into contact with (except for Mennonites and the Amish). On the other hand, they don’t seem to mind letting you know you are bound for Hell if you ignore their rules and regulations, which is a bit repulsive to me.

The remaining groups are the ones that really annoy me.
Southern Baptists/Catholics: I grouped these together because theological differences don’t really seem to matter in Fort Smith, but the characteristics of the members of these two groups are similar. This group is characterized by a stuck-up, pious attitude, although much hearsay is circulated and many micro-scandals occur in the city among the members of this group. As hotair2 observed, Southern Baptists abhor the consumption of alcohol while at church functions, but drink in excess at other occasions. Catholics do differ in that they do not mind being seen with a beer in hand. This is the “elite” group that seems to have taken over the entire city.

Assemblies of God (AG): I love wrongturnRonda’s apt description of local churches as “Christian hardcore rock/laser light show churches-in-a-shed”. I presume, based on my own experiences, that she must have attended some of our unique AG churches. Not only do these “places of worship” more closely resemble a hard-core death metal/rock concert than a church, but they also provide some of the most awkward, unnerving experiences you will ever encounter in an upper-end and safe suburban area. [the creepiest cult worshiping experience I've ever [religiously] encountered! – wrongturnRonda] One interesting aspect of the local AG churches is that many of them hide their affiliation with the Assemblies of God. It was not until I became heavily involved in one of these churches that I realized this. Think you attend an interdenominational or nondenominational congregation? Think again!

In conclusion, Fort Smith is not a Christian utopia characterized by southern hospitality as some would believe (based on southern stereotypes and the proliferation of churches here). Instead, Fort Smith is distinguished by piety, hypocrisy, and other social ills – just look at the number of bars and liquor stores in and around Fort Smith, and watch the news for all the rapes, stabbings, shooting, and drug arrests.

Of course there are good things about the city, and decent, well meaning people and churches located here, but this is the side of the story you most likely will not hear about around town or through other media. Fort Smith needs to confront its problems head-on through open dialogue if it hopes to ever become vibrant, healthy, and prosperous.

Disclaimer: I realize that not ALL churches and members of churches here are as conceited as portrayed in the above descriptions; I am sure you are not one of those people, so please don’ t take my post personally

Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 5,844,330 times
This thread has meandered pretty far afield from discussions of different aspects of life in Fort Smith, and has now evolved into rants about religious hypocrisy. The thread has exceeded its useful lifespan and is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or