U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 PM

93 posts, read 226,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am just wondering; If it is reformed what did they start out with? I mean if the original isn't any good how can a reformed chuch be better? I mean lets say that Jesus started a church here on Earth, if that one isn't the correct one does reforming it make it correct again? Wouldn't all churches that are Protesting the Catholic Church make up some form of reformed church? They didn't like the way that the Catholics were doing it and they all broke away to start their own churches, reforming themselves I would suspect. I guess that would make the majority of churches reformed churches. What of those that broke off the break offs? Are they reformed reformed churches? Is it possible to reform a church back to the original? Just wondering how that would be and if it would be ethical. I mean isn't the Church supposed to have some kind of authority? Who gives it this authority? With all these churches they can't all be right because God just isn't the author of so much confusion. One church is the right church and it is up to you to find out what that is.
A bit too many questions for me so I will answer the first couple - I've got to get ready to watch the U.S. vs. Ghana in a couple of minutes. The reformed churches are from the reformers. The reformers, you know the guys: Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Bucer, believed the Catholic Church lost it way especially with the selling of indulgences and tried to recapture the origins of Christianity. By the way the reformers tried to discuss the problems with the Catholic Church, they didn't want to start anything new they wanted to fix some issues, that's why Martin Luther issued the 95 Theses - to have a discussion. The reformers didn't believe the original wasn't any good, they thought it was glorious and that is what they were trying to get back to . By the way the Catholic Church admitted in the Council of Trent that they had made some mistakes.

Finally, you're right there is one church according to Christian doctrine and we search the scriptures and discuss in a civil manner what correpsonds to scripture. That is exactly what the reformers did.

I hope this clarifies a little, sorry I didn't answer every question, Soon2bnsurprise. Also I didn't go in great detail because the post would be too large. My recommendation is to read a good church history book - try Justo Gonzalez.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:10 PM

362 posts, read 1,089,332 times
This thread is so interesting to me because just last month I was in Fort Smith for the first time in nearly ten years to attend a family member's graduation. I was at the mall there and a woman that work at one of the stores said, "You have a nice family there! Where do ya'll attend church?". Yes I am a regular church goer myself, but it was just odd that 1) she apparently assumed that I was from the area, and 2) that she assumed that I attended church at all. I told her that I lived in Sherwood and attended a church in North Little Rock, and after having to explain to her that Sherwood is near North Little Rock, she asked me if gang violence is still bad where I live I then remembered why I had not been to Ft. Smith in nearly a decade...

Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,596,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
A bit too many questions for me so I will answer the first couple - I've got to get ready to watch the U.S. vs. Ghana in a couple of minutes. The reformed churches are from the reformers. The reformers, you know the guys: Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Bucer, believed the Catholic Church lost it way especially with the selling of indulgences and tried to recapture the origins of Christianity. By the way the reformers tried to discuss the problems with the Catholic Church, they didn't want to start anything new they wanted to fix some issues, that's why Martin Luther issued the 95 Theses - to have a discussion. The reformers didn't believe the original wasn't any good, they thought it was glorious and that is what they were trying to get back to . By the way the Catholic Church admitted in the Council of Trent that they had made some mistakes.

Finally, you're right there is one church according to Christian doctrine and we search the scriptures and discuss in a civil manner what correpsonds to scripture. That is exactly what the reformers did.

I hope this clarifies a little, sorry I didn't answer every question, Soon2bnsurprise. Also I didn't go in great detail because the post would be too large. My recommendation is to read a good church history book - try Justo Gonzalez.
I posted because infact I do understand the idea. It just sounded interesing to me. Here is my point: If the Catholic Church is no longer the correct church then all others that broke from them are wrong with the Catholic Church. If the Catholic Church still holds the authority that Jesus Christ gave it then it is the only true church on the Earth and all others are wrong because they broke away. Either it is right or it is wrong, but leaving something that is wrong and starting your own church does not make that one right. What is needed is not a reformation, but a restoration. The only church that I know that claims to be the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Turns out that the area has a local congregation as well.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Greetings again - Soon2bnsurprise,

First of all, this topic is off-topic to the original post by Edgar (I forgot the second part of his name); I hope people don't mind. You made this statement:

If the Catholic Church is no longer the correct church then all others that broke from them are wrong with the Catholic Church

How so? I don't follow this logic at all. Please explain how not following an institution that is wrong makes your institution wrong.

What is needed is not a reformation, but a restoration.

The reformation was a restoration, that was the goal of the Reformation. To get back to Jesus as being the center of the Church not an institution that was promoting relics and indulgences.

The only church that I know that claims to be the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

See my above statement; same answer applies to this statement as well. Protestantism (Reformed Christianity) does this quite nicely.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and, again, I know this is a bit off-topic. My original post wasn't about theology but about agreeing with Edgar that having a Reformed Church in a community is important to us Reformed Christians; we love our redemptive, covenental churches with our liturgical servies and focus on the sovereignty of our Lord.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,596,959 times
31st State,

If Jesus set up a church that failed man can not set up a church and then say everything is better again. The only one that can set up Christ's church is Christ and not any man.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
31st State,

If Jesus set up a church that failed man can not set up a church and then say everything is better again. The only one that can set up Christ's church is Christ and not any man.
Is church over for awhile?

I think where we left off was edjarhead's inference that Arkansas should be nuked off the face of the earth, left to the cockroaches, and start anew.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM

3,391 posts, read 5,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Is church over for awhile?

I think where we left off was edjarhead's inference that Arkansas should be nuked off the face of the earth, left to the cockroaches, and start anew.
This forum really has had problems staying on topic lately. It's like forum ADD.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 AM

39,060 posts, read 23,165,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
This forum really has had problems staying on topic lately. It's like forum ADD.
Arkansas Disappointment Disorder?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 5,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Arkansas Disappointment Disorder?
Ha! Clever! But not from me!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM

I was going to respond to Soon2bnsurprise but I get the hint and will refrain so we can get back to the original post of bashing or defending Ft. Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or