U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
I was going to respond to Soon2bnsurprise but I get the hint and will refrain so we can get back to the original post of bashing or defending Ft. Smith.
Ya gotta know when to hold 'em

Ya gotta know when to fold 'em

I didn't make that up you know, but I coulda, if Kenny hadn't beat me to it.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,705,251 times
What is a 'reformed church'? Geez, I live in Oklahoma (yep, reddest state in the union and I can count 8 freaking churches within 1/2 mile of my house) and I have not a clue as to what is a 'reformed church'. Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,899,825 times
We have 3 reformed churches ( that I know of) in Minnesota

Dutch Reformed.

They are located in 3 different rural areas of the state, have big congregations, and opertate a school also.

The people who belong to them I highly respect and they live their life by example.
The farmers who belong to them do not work on Sunday in the fields and won't even deer hunt on Sunday.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The farmers who belong to them do not work on Sunday in the fields and won't even deer hunt on Sunday.
I had to chuckle at that, as the church I attend has pretty much all hunters, and many have said, "I won't be here next Sunday because I'm going hunting".

The minister took a Sunday off for turkey.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:12 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
This thread needs to be cleaned up. People will look to this thread to find info about Fort Smith, not the Reformed Church.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,705,251 times
Well, back on track then. I've heard nothing but good things about Fort Smith and my 25 y/o daughter loves Fort Smith. She has many friends over there and likes to go visit.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 AM

77 posts, read 205,524 times
I am hardly religious in any way shape or form but I find Ft. Smith to be the most delightful place in Arkansas. It certainly has the nicest downtown north of Little Rock and while it is almost shameful that the town abandoned its core for a bunch of crappy strip malls. What they have done in an attempt to rejuvenate it is quite nice.

I get quite a kick out of that nice micro park they have, and despite the fact that they have less cash than NWA, the apparent volunteerism of the community means they have much nicer public goods than other metros of similar size.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 50,203 times
Default Try meeting people here; it is impossible!

I am a college student. I work part-time, so spare time is a rare treat. Even with such limited time, I have made the tough decision to commute to a school an hour away just to remove myself from being educated by the stuck-up Fort Smith "elite".
Furthermore, it is impossible to have an educated conversation with students my age in FS; they are so focused on video games, sports, drugs, and the idea of sex that they do not know how to converse with others, they could care less about meeting new friend, and they are unaware of current events. The only people my age that I associate with are the few friends I had in high school who have not moved away to college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjarhead View Post
I visited a lot of churches in Fort Smith and honestly people around here are just rude. They're rude everywhere you go here. I am grateful for the few folks I have met who are decent people.

Fort-Smithers really think they got something here man. And it's just kind of one of the crappiest places in the world. I understand everyone loves their mom and their childhood home and all that, but I'm telling the world it sucks because it doesn't just suck here....it sucks so bad its just unacceptable.
I completely agree that the residents of Fort Smith are rude. I have grown up here, and the older I get, the more I realize how horrible this town is; Fort Smith is like a cesspool that people fall into and are cut off from the outside world. I live south of FS, work in FS, and take college classes in Ozark. I love the people in Ozark, just wish it was a larger town. It may be quaint, but Ozark residents are the kindest, most genuine people in the area. I have had MORE SUBSTANTIVE CONVERSATIONS WHILE IN THE CHECKOUT LINE in Ozark THAN WITH "FRIENDS" IN FORT SMITH!

It frustrates me that FS locals think this city is great. I have traveled all over the US and have yet to find a comparably-sized city that is as utterly depressing as Fort Smith. I will never understand how the second-largest city in Arkansas (that is just off I-40) has developed into the deplorable state it is in. The roads are bad. The people are pessimistic, backwards-thinking, extremely opinionated on topics such as religion and politics, and many FS residents communicate as though they are uneducated. Besides, there is absolutely nothing to do here unless you fish, bowl, or bar-hop. I'm out of here as soon as I graduate.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 19,888 times
Are there any racial issues here, I see alot of negative comments about this town. I've never been to Arkansas, thinking about traveling here for a short period, from Mid Mo, small town were everybody knows everybody and for the most part it is a very peaceful little town. We don't have alot to do here either but no big issues.

Last edited by temple 15; 07-16-2010 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: add comment

Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
Fort Smith is one of the most, if not the most, culturally diverse cities in Arkansas. Are there ignorant rednecks and racist people? Yea, just like every other city in the world. You won't have any issues in Fort Smith - but there are some surrounding cities that have a reputation for being very racist (I'm looking at you, Greenwood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or