Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creolediva View Post
Your Post on Fort Smith was hilarious. I've just taken a position there and expect to stay for 1 to 2 years. You've got me scared now!!!
which post has you scared and was hilarious? There have been so many. Don't let a few influence you that much. Ft Smith has a lot to offer. Is it right for everyone? Of course not, no place is, but enjoy what the area does have to offer, if you are not from AR get out and learn what a wonderful state it is and appreciate why it is called the natural state.

Then in a year or two, when you re-locate you can look back on all the area did offer.

Normally when someone posts a totally negative review they are not looking at things through clear eyes and can't see the positives in most experiences. They let one or two unfortunate things enfluence their entire outlook.

We once lived someplace for about a year that was certainly not suited to our family. We couldn't wait to move but I still have fond memories of things the area did offer. So do our kids, who are now grown with kids of their own.

Nita

Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creolediva View Post
Your Post on Fort Smith was hilarious. I've just taken a position there and expect to stay for 1 to 2 years. You've got me scared now!!!
I lived in Fort Smith for 5 years. After two I was ready to get out. 1-2 years in Fort Smith isn't the end of the world but be sure you make the right preparations to get out when the time comes. One of the worst things about Fort Smith in my opinion is once you are there its very difficult to get out. A lot of it has to do with the culture and isolation of the area.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,798 times
Fort Smith is an amazing place to live if you ask me.

The number one problem with Fort Smith is the people. You see citizens of NWA and all they do is brag about their area. All we do is *****. Go live in Roland, or Van Buren. If you don't like Fort Smith shop somewhere else. Go to the hospital somewhere else. Fort Smith is far better than any city of it's size in Arkansas. Like children, you guys aren't grateful for what you have.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsclark View Post

The number one problem with Fort Smith is the people. You see citizens of NWA and all they do is brag about their area. All we do is *****. Go live in Roland, or Van Buren. If you don't like Fort Smith shop somewhere else. Go to the hospital somewhere else. Fort Smith is far better than any city of it's size in Arkansas. Like children, you guys aren't grateful for what you have.
good defense of Ft Smith. Everyone should be proud of where they have chosen to live. This doesn't mean our home towns do not have problems, but hopefully, there are lots of positives as well.

Nita

Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsclark View Post

Fort Smith and Little Rock both have this problem. If a newcomer says they like it, the natives will be like "why?..this place sucks." In NWA they are proud of their area and in my opinion civic pride makes a huge difference. I honestly think this is one of the biggest reasons NWA is so pro-economic development and Fort Smith seems to be in such opposition to it. It is a vicious catch-22 cycle in Fort Smith and to some extent Little Rock. It sucks because of the attitude of the people, but because of the people's attitude it will never improve.

That said, Fort Smith especially is just to small and rural to compete with true urban areas. People who prefer a larger city will generally not be happy in a place as small as Fort Smith.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That said, Fort Smith especially is just to small and rural to compete with true urban areas. People who prefer a larger city will generally not be happy in a place as small as Fort Smith.
Fort Smith will probably never be able to compete with places like Houston or Chicago in terms of being urban. I'll probably never walk on Mars either, life goes on.

I did read an article in the Times Record (local paper) a few weeks ago about how the average population of an area where two major interstates cross is about 800,000 people. I-49 and I-40 should cross in Kibler, of all places, just north of Fort Smith.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,257 times
Quote:
Fort Smith and Little Rock both have this problem. If a newcomer says they like it, the natives will be like "why?..this place sucks."
you have got to be kidding me.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
I found that article

Quote:
“There are statistics that where two interstates cross the average population is 800,000 people,” said Mat Pitsch, WAPDD intermodal manager. “I don’t know that’s our number. ... Some that go into that average may be 300,000 or 1.6 million, but even at 300,000 we’ll undergo tremendous growth. ... It’s a storm that’s waiting to rain. We have to keep going. We’ll have growth stronger than we have now.”
Source
I-49 Has Promise, Problems - The Times Record: Special Reports (http://www.swtimes.com/special_reports/article_83924506-b78d-11df-ab48-001cc4c03286.html - broken link)

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
you have got to be kidding me.
bchris is back...

Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
bchris, you are really doing a disservice to many people who are looking to move to Ft Smith or Little Rock. You would serve them better by just stating that "many people in those cities are homophobic and they are not havens for people who live alternative lifestyles." That would be a true statement. But to bash ever aspect of those cities because of one person's individual experience does not help anyone. Helping people relocate is the main focus of this forum.

I know a lot of people in FSM and LR who do not thing their city "sucks." I also know people from all over the country, some of whom live in wonderful cities, who do think that their city "sucks." Many in NWA think that their area "sucks." I don't see that issue being any more widespread in the cities that you mentioned than it is in any other city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas