U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM

2,457 posts, read 5,721,522 times

Advertisements

Laundry day in the spring of '51 in the IX or X Corps. I don't remember which because we were on the move most of the time moving from the west coast to the east coast. Lots of action in this little valley several days before this photo. We were a heavy artillery battery "bas**rd" outfit sent where ever we were needed
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-laundry-day-001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM

The photo shows one of our guns and one of the mountain roads on the east coast we drove on. These mountains are now very popular ski resorts. You can see where the combat engineers have repaired the road after it was blown up. On another trip on a similar road I was driving the gun back to the rear for repair and came to a narrow place in the road that had not been completely repaired. The road was so narrow my Gun Sergeant, who was with me, got down to act as "ground guide". I was slowly inching along with his guidance when all at once he looked shocked and signaled for me to speed up and started running backwards continuing to signal for me to speed up. Shortly he signaled for me to stop and get out of the gun. When I got to him he said for us to go look at something and walked behind the gun. The side of the road had caved off and he said it was caving from under my outside track and when I speeded up I "out ran" the caving, then most of the road caved off. I could almost write a book on that trip because so many "interesting" things happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-type-road-almost-caved-off-me  

Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,702,718 times
I have read this entire thread from the very first posting , and not ONE person has mentioned that 31 OTHER countries sent troops to Korea.

The USA did NOT fight alone in Korea, not by a long shot.

It was a United Nations effort, and that means that, although the USA did have the majority of the manpower, others were also there, who fought just as hard, and died just as well.

Being proud is great, BUT you should be willing to acknowledge the sacrifice of other nations, as well.

Canada sent a full armoured brigade , and three infantry brigades, totaling 30,000 men, and 12 RCAF fighter squadrons, with F86 sabre jets, and six RCN ships to patrol the North Korean coast line. Not a small contribution, for a country that only five years before, in WW2 had lost sixty thousand dead, and 125,000 wounded. As a matter of fact, 70 percent of the Canadians who served in Korea were WW 2 veterans, who VOLUNTEERED , again, to fight. Canada has never had a draft system, unlike the USA.

And finally, I will mention the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, who received a Presidential Unit Citation, for their stubborn defence at Kap Yong, that allowed a retreating USMC battalion to get away to the rear. Look it up.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM

1,869 posts, read 2,280,475 times
Jim B., don't think for a minute that those other countries have been forgotten. They have not. This thread is in the Arkansas section and Arkansas is in the United States. Look it up.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I have read this entire thread from the very first posting , and not ONE person has mentioned that 31 OTHER countries sent troops to Korea.

The USA did NOT fight alone in Korea, not by a long shot.

It was a United Nations effort, and that means that, although the USA did have the majority of the manpower, others were also there, who fought just as hard, and died just as well.

Being proud is great, BUT you should be willing to acknowledge the sacrifice of other nations, as well.

Canada sent a full armoured brigade , and three infantry brigades, totaling 30,000 men, and 12 RCAF fighter squadrons, with F86 sabre jets, and six RCN ships to patrol the North Korean coast line. Not a small contribution, for a country that only five years before, in WW2 had lost sixty thousand dead, and 125,000 wounded. As a matter of fact, 70 percent of the Canadians who served in Korea were WW 2 veterans, who VOLUNTEERED , again, to fight. Canada has never had a draft system, unlike the USA.

And finally, I will mention the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, who received a Presidential Unit Citation, for their stubborn defence at Kap Yong, that allowed a retreating USMC battalion to get away to the rear. Look it up.

Jim B

Toronto.
Yes, yes, yes, Jim. It was not intended to slight the other 31 Nations, but this Thread is about Arkansas' involvement in the war, not the total war effort. As we were moved all over the country to provide support with our heavy artillery to the various troops, we supported the Canadians, British, Turks, US Marines, and US 2nd ID. I don't remember the details but the British were almost wiped out in I Corps in the early days of the war because they were told to stop the North Koreans "here" at all costs. And they did stop them, but at a very high cost in loss of soldiers.

I'm so sorry if I offended you and you felt this Thread was ignoring all others involved in the war.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Slim:

Message received. I'll let you get on with your conversation here.

A final question .....did you know that the 2nd PPCLI won a US Presidential Unit citation, in Korea ? Most Americans don't know that fact. Or that Canadian RCAF pilots flew in USAF squadrons, in Korea ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Slim:

Message received. I'll let you get on with your conversation here.

A final question .....did you know that the 2nd PPCLI won a US Presidential Unit citation, in Korea ? Most Americans don't know that fact. Or that Canadian RCAF pilots flew in USAF squadrons, in Korea ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Jim, I fully understand your feelings when you thought I was slighting the other nations involved in the war. I have a "screaming fit" when I see a list or hear comments that goes from WW II to Vietnam and skips over Korea.

I knew about the RCAF pilots but didn't about the 2nd PPCLI. I now wonder if that was the unit I was referring to in my earlier Post. Now I gotta dig out my maps and check. Take care, and thanks for reading this Thread. Slim

Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Hey Jim, I looked it up, I was there! But this isn't the action I wrote about earlier. We (all the forces) were moving into the Iron Triangle when the Chinese hit early one morning. I can close my eyes and still see the MG tracers advancing down the mountain side toward us. We had supported the push, then supported the fall-back. Today's target would be yesterday's position. Long, long story short; Since we were a bas**rd battalion, we belonged to everybody, but nobody. We were forgotten and abandoned at Uijongbu. We got out but some of our neighbors didn't. Our air observers told us that our dust had barely settled when the Chinese moved into our old position.

I'm sorry. When I started this Thread my objective was only to show how Arkansas was involved in the war and bring it out of the "forgotten" status again. I had not planned to go into these details.

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 07-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM

Slim :

NO apologies needed......Its your thread after all.

I served in the Canadian Forces for 30 years, retiring in 1996, at what would be in the US system an E8.

In our rank system a Chief Warrant Officer first class. During the course of my career, at my own expense, I managed to achieve a Master's in Canadian military history. I was way over qualified, for my military trade , as a military Police investigator, or so my career manager told me ( grin ) .

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Slim :

NO apologies needed......Its your thread after all.

I served in the Canadian Forces for 30 years, retiring in 1996, at what would be in the US system an E8.

In our rank system a Chief Warrant Officer first class. During the course of my career, at my own expense, I managed to achieve a Master's in Canadian military history. I was way over qualified, for my military trade , as a military Police investigator, or so my career manager told me ( grin ) .

Jim B.

Toronto.
Way to go! Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas