U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM

65,018 posts, read 72,711,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
We all know the non-combatants are the ones who suffer the most in war, but the children even more so. All they know is that they are scared and their friends and family are getting hurt or killed.

This little beauty was selling walnuts that were similar to our English Walnuts. In the early spring of 1951, we, Battery A, 937th Field Artillery Battalion Arkansas Army National Guard from Mena Polk County, was pulled off the line and sent to the rear for special training. We went into position near a small farming community and the next day we were "covered up" with kids selling walnuts and eggs. We bought everything they had and were really happy to get the fresh eggs. We could already taste fried bacon and eggs.

That night after everything got quite some of us sneaked into the mess tent and "acquired" some bacon and bread and went back to our tent to cook a feast. But the eggs wouldn't break! None of them. Someone finally checked them out and found they all had been boiled. Oh well, sliced boiled egg fried in bacon grease ain't bad
Thanks for sharing. I can barely remember the war even though I was 14. I do remember a few of my older sister's boyfriends were involved. I remember WW2 better. Maybe that is because my dad was in the navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 08:20 PM

962 posts, read 949,980 times
Late Spring 1951. This is what happens when a vehicle looses an argument with an H.E. All these years I have remembered this truck being Russian, used by the Chinese. I remember on the top front of what was left of the radiator was stamped, stylized "3MC" with the "3" and the "C" reversed. I did a Web search before posting this to see where it was manufactured but found nothing for Russia or China. So, who knows or who cares. After 66 years it doesn't make any difference anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-russian-truck-had-been-used-chinese  

Old 08-20-2017, 05:14 PM

Tomorrow will be a big day with the eclipse, and I hope to take photos, but in 1950 it was a very big day. My 937th Field Artillery Battalion, Arkansas Army National Guard, mobilized for the Korea War. Battalion Headquarters was in Fort Smith, Service Battery in Mena, Gun Battery A in Mena, B in Paris, and C in Charleston. We took a train to Camp [Fort] Hood Texas where we drew our needed equipment, received special training, and were given the men to make us at 100% strength. We arrived in Pusan on Valentines Day 1951.

The troops we received were a very interesting mix. Many were WWII retreads who had stayed in the Reserve, some were draftees who had just completed their training, but the most interesting were the ones who had been in the stockade but were given the option to volunteer for an overseas tour, or complete their sentence. They knew there was a battalion scheduled for deployment to Germany, but hadn't heard about us. Needless to say they were not happy troops when they found out where they were really going! But after the initial shock they knuckled down and made good troops.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 PM

518 posts, read 431,732 times
great story and thank you and all the aforementioned for your service!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
great story and thank you and all the aforementioned for your service!

Thanks, but we were just doing our job that we were paid to do. Just as G.I.s all over the globe are doing now.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Daughter just gave me a book on the war, "The Coldest Winter" by David Halberstam, that has many maps and things I didn't know or have forgotten. After all, I was just a "cannon cocker" and didn't know anything about the big picture. Anyway it got me thinking so decided to see what was available on eBay and Amazon. eBay has something called "Military Armistice in Korea and Temporary Supplementary Agreement" dated July 27 1953. I wonder if it covers the that's going on with North Korea today?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 PM

So I got to wondering if the North Korean missile activity is in violation of the Korean War Armistice, it isn't. I got a copy of MILITARY ARMISTIS IN KOREA AND TEMPORARY SUPPLEMENT AGREEMENT dated July 27, 1953. It appears that everything revolved around the DMZ. It states "6. Neither side shall execute any hostile act within, from, or against the Demilitarized Zone." It also states in another place that the only new combat type equipment and material that can be brought into the country is replacement, in kind, of worn out or destroyed equipment and material. With that in mind, the missiles do not apply because they are not brought in, but are constructed in country.

I was amazed at the number of people involved in the armistice negotiations. After I do the number crunching I'll post it here. But in just one example in Para.10, it states "---but in no case shall the total number authorized by either side exceed one thousand (1,000) persons at one time.---"

Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 PM

1,902 posts, read 671,874 times
Hi old fossil-

married to a Korean (adopted by his GI stepparent) American-
who grew up eating snakes and boiled pine needles as a 5 yr old in an orphanage there-
(he was lucky he was in the country side, city orphans couldn't forage for food like they could)

most americans have NO CONCEPT of the devastation enacted upon Korea-

so lets just say threatening more devastation on a country that REMEMBERS what was done to them- well IT is awful that Kim Jong looks like a better bet, to them-

and DIRECTLY because of the suffering from that WAR.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:01 PM

Thanks for your Post, Chick, and you are absolutely correct. Unless someone actually sees it, they have no concept of what war does to the non-combatants and their property.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 2,318 times
We are not at war with Russia. How the **** are people more concerned with Russia than North Korea developing nuclear weapons is beyond me.

Could you please inform us when North Korea and China conducted war games on US borders? Is South Korea in the Pacific Northwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas