U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:33 PM

63,942 posts, read 70,524,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
We all know the non-combatants are the ones who suffer the most in war, but the children even more so. All they know is that they are scared and their friends and family are getting hurt or killed.

This little beauty was selling walnuts that were similar to our English Walnuts. In the early spring of 1951, we, Battery A, 937th Field Artillery Battalion Arkansas Army National Guard from Mena Polk County, was pulled off the line and sent to the rear for special training. We went into position near a small farming community and the next day we were "covered up" with kids selling walnuts and eggs. We bought everything they had and were really happy to get the fresh eggs. We could already taste fried bacon and eggs.

That night after everything got quite some of us sneaked into the mess tent and "acquired" some bacon and bread and went back to our tent to cook a feast. But the eggs wouldn't break! None of them. Someone finally checked them out and found they all had been boiled. Oh well, sliced boiled egg fried in bacon grease ain't bad
Thanks for sharing. I can barely remember the war even though I was 14. I do remember a few of my older sister's boyfriends were involved. I remember WW2 better. Maybe that is because my dad was in the navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:20 PM

919 posts, read 888,757 times
Late Spring 1951. This is what happens when a vehicle looses an argument with an H.E. All these years I have remembered this truck being Russian, used by the Chinese. I remember on the top front of what was left of the radiator was stamped, stylized "3MC" with the "3" and the "C" reversed. I did a Web search before posting this to see where it was manufactured but found nothing for Russia or China. So, who knows or who cares. After 66 years it doesn't make any difference anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-russian-truck-had-been-used-chinese  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas