U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

2,673 posts, read 753,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
great story and thank you and all the aforementioned for your service!
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,171,248 times
Another of our MIAs has been identified. Sgt. Donald Baker, age 20, of Thornton, Dallas County, has been identified, returned to his family, and was buried June 19th in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

He was a member of Company H, 2nd Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. He was declare MIA after a battle near Haman South Korea on September 6th, 1950. Un-identified remains were recovered on January 6th, 1951 but Baker was not identified until after October 2017.

The Defense POW MIA Accounting Agency is doing a superb job considering what they have to work with, which often, are only bone fragments. If they were in commuting distance I'd be happy to work there as a volunteer.

Monday is THE day

P.S. If anyone who reads this has family, or knows a family, who are unaccounted for in any of our wars back through WWII, you may contact the DPMAA through this Web Site to find out what to do. http://www.dpaa.mil

Last edited by Old Fossil; 06-23-2018 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 PM

North Korea, X Corps, spring 1951, the scenic route.
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-type-road-almost-caved-off-me.jpg  

Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Tonight I saw on eBay a copy of the armistice agreement which it said was scanned from a book.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 AM

So Trump met with Kim, came home and implied 200 remains of our troops would follow. Weeks later, Pompeo met with Kim's underlings, came home and implied 200 remains of our troops would follow. Wonder! 400 of our troops are on their way home. Oops, it turns out they both were talking about the same 200. Then the U.S. and North Korea agreed on a place, date, and time to pass those 200. No surprise that NK did not show up, and as far as I can find out, still hasn't.

For those who are old enough to remember, or care, we have been through all this before. Twenty five or thirty years ago when the remains were being returned it was not unusual to find animal bones in the boxes with the remains of our troops, and when the human remains were sorted it was not unusual to find that some of them were Asian, not American. Then North Korea wanted to charge megabucks for each set of remains returned.

And what about the remains of the other side? When we were headed to Pyongyang in the spring of 1951 so many Chinese were killed they were buried in mass graves. What happened to them? Do their families know.

And it ain't gonna change

Old 07-19-2018, 12:09 PM

644 posts, read 141,902 times
A skunk doesn't lose its stripes.

North Korea pulled the same stunt nearing the end of the Korean War.

Agreeing to meet to arrange the war's end and then storming out of the room using the shape of the negotiating table as an excuse.

North Korea never could be trusted.
North Korea never can be trusted.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
A skunk doesn't lose its stripes.

North Korea pulled the same stunt nearing the end of the Korean War.

Agreeing to meet to arrange the war's end and then storming out of the room using the shape of the negotiating table as an excuse.

North Korea never could be trusted.
North Korea never can be trusted.

That's a BIG 10-4

Old 07-20-2018, 11:43 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,712,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Early this morning 60 years ago the North Koreans moved south across the 38th Parallel and the war was on. Most Arkansas National Guard units were in summer camp in July 1950 and many were alerted for possible mobilization to go to Korea. (Where, what was Korea we asked?) August 2nd, 1950 they were ordered to stand by and August 21st 1950 they were mobilized. September 1950 they were sent to Camp Hood TX, and Camp Carson CO (I think) and February 10th 1951 they landed in Korea. There were Arkansas National Guard units from; Ft. Smith, Mena, Paris, Ozark, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Berryville, Rogers, and Harrison. Mena sent two artillery batteries, many WW II Reservist, many draftees, and many volunteers. Even at that time Mena had about 5,000 population, and there were very few males between age 17 and 50 left in town.

When it was over, three years, one month, and two days later, the remains of 8,051 POW, MIA, and KIA had not been recovered and 100 of those were from Arkansas.

Just so you know, and remember.
Thanks for the reminder, Arkansas Slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
The Korean War was the forgotten war. I was glad when a Korean War Memorial was finally built on the National Mall. I think the statues are awesome!Korean War Veterans Memorial National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)
That Korean War memorial is the most haunting thing. My wife and I both were struck by it.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM

644 posts, read 141,902 times
I did a search of Korean War casualties and was surprised under the heading of ."remains recovered"......there was an "N" instead of a "Y"

One of the "N" lived about 3 miles from us and attended the same church as me.

I was 7 when the priest made the announcement at mass on Sunday.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I did a search of Korean War casualties and was surprised under the heading of ."remains recovered"......there was an "N" instead of a "Y"

One of the "N" lived about 3 miles from us and attended the same church as me.

I was 7 when the priest made the announcement at mass on Sunday.

If you can still make contact with that family please check to see if they have submitted their DNA for comparison. They are doing DNA on all the remains but family submitted DNA must be in their data base before they can make a match and get the remains "back home". Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas