Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times

Advertisements

Early this morning 60 years ago the North Koreans moved south across the 38th Parallel and the war was on. Most Arkansas National Guard units were in summer camp in July 1950 and many were alerted for possible mobilization to go to Korea. (Where, what was Korea we asked?) August 2nd, 1950 they were ordered to stand by and August 21st 1950 they were mobilized. September 1950 they were sent to Camp Hood TX, and Camp Carson CO (I think) and February 10th 1951 they landed in Korea. There were Arkansas National Guard units from; Ft. Smith, Mena, Paris, Ozark, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Berryville, Rogers, and Harrison. Mena sent two artillery batteries, many WW II Reservist, many draftees, and many volunteers. Even at that time Mena had about 5,000 population, and there were very few males between age 17 and 50 left in town.

When it was over, three years, one month, and two days later, the remains of 8,051 POW, MIA, and KIA had not been recovered and 100 of those were from Arkansas.

Just so you know, and remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,268 times
Thank you for sharing this. People do tend to forget.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,461 times
It is a shame that this war gets so little publicity, and so little coverage in the History books. Some of my students asked, "we had a war in Korea?" when they begin to read that chapter. I guess it is my job to make sure at least some of our students have a better appreciation of what our boys did over there.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 PM

45 posts, read 98,578 times
The Korean war was known as the "forgotten war".
Tucked in between WWII and Viet Nam wars- it lasted just over 3 years. about 37,000 Americans killed, an estimated 2,000,000 civilians killed.
(So many killed in a short time compared to 11 years for Viet Nam and about 55,000 killed there).

A shame it was the forgotten war.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
The Korean War was the forgotten war. I was glad when a Korean War Memorial was finally built on the National Mall. I think the statues are awesome!Korean War Veterans Memorial National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
The Korean War was the forgotten war. I was glad when a Korean War Memorial was finally built on the National Mall. I think the statues are awesome!Korean War Veterans Memorial National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)
Thanks. Only those involved with seeking approval of the Memorial know how many frustrating years passed while the process was playing out. The clout the Vietnam Vets used to get theirs built helped us get ours through by "default". There was even conflict over how the statues were to be presented, and how many. Oh well.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:16 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wconell View Post
Tucked in between WWII and Viet Nam wars- it lasted just over 3 years.
Did we surrender or what?

The last I heard, and the best I can document, is that it has not ended to this day, and a 'cease fire' was declared, never an end to the conflict.

To this day, we are simply under a 'cease fire', which could be revoked by either side, and, as I recall , N. Korea has mentioned that lately.

Not much different than the war of northern aggression, huh?

"Y'all remember that thing ya called the Civil War? We were just joshin' when we said we surrendered"

..........Overheard at a gas station near a local tourist spot.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Did we surrender or what?

The last I heard, and the best I can document, is that it has not ended to this day, and a 'cease fire' was declared, never an end to the conflict.

To this day, we are simply under a 'cease fire', which could be revoked by either side, and, as I recall , N. Korea has mentioned that lately.

Not much different than the war of northern aggression, huh?

"Y'all remember that thing ya called the Civil War? We were just joshin' when we said we surrendered"

..........Overheard at a gas station near a local tourist spot.
My understanding, we could call it a draw and you are right, it could flare up at anytime.

Arkansasslim, thanks for reminding us of this, I bet most people under 45 don't even know anything about the war, they know a little about WW2 and have heard nothing but negatives about Nam, but are never taught anything about the Korean war.

DRFoosball, please help you students learn something about the early 50s. It was a fasinating time for our country. I am sure you will.

Nita

Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
DRFoosball, please help you students learn something about the early 50s. It was a fasinating time for our country. I am sure you will.

Nita
There is actually a somewhat new class being offered across the state (but not required) called Contemporary American History. It is American History 1945-present. This class should help a lot.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
There is actually a somewhat new class being offered across the state (but not required) called Contemporary American History. It is American History 1945-present. This class should help a lot.
what a great class for kids to take. If taught correctly and not with any prejudise one way or the other it would be fascinating I would think. If could also help young people better understand our modern culture as things have changed so much since 1945.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas