Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,397,886 times

Advertisements

Dutchman, I can relate. I also lost my oldest son at age 19, although not to combat, a loss is a loss. My son died in 1987. (Police Explorer, NROTC, US Navy,) 26 years, It seems like yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,831 times
Truman should have left Mca cross the Yalu. Think about it for a minute. WWII was just over, we nuked the Japs, the Chinese play a 'long game'. Things would be diff today.......

Old 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,345,353 times
Today I rec'd an invitation to a 60th Anniversary Ceremony at the State Capitol, and the Title is; "Arkansas Remembers 'The Forgotten War'". It is being presented by the Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of the Secretary of State [AR], and The Butler Center for Arkansas Studies - [Central; Arkansas Library System] (CALS). The Butler Center has done a great job of interviewing and recording (print, tape, and video) the memoirs of people in the Korean War.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,320,422 times
ArkansasSlim. thanks for your service. This may be of interest to you. In 1967 as a brand new Army, Infantry 2nd Lieutenant my orders diverted from sending me to Vietnam which is what I had originally enlisted for and instead, plopped my down in Korea. Almost immediately my battalion from the 7th ID was sent to the DMZ. It took only two days and an ambush to learn that the DMZ really had gone "hot." As it turned out, the new, North Korean offensive was subversive consisting of small combat patrols, ambushes, infiltrations, the attempted assassination of the South Korean president, the taking of the USS Pueblo, etc.

This new "offensive" began in December 1966 and lasted until March 1969. I was there for most of it having arrived in-country in June '67 and staying until March '69. It was thought that the renewed hostilities were due to an agreement between Ho Chi Min and Kim Il Sung to keep the area hot in order to pin the 7th and 2nd Infantry Divisions there so one of them couldn't be sent to Vietnam.

Interestingly enough, a number of members of my first platoon and battalion of the 31st Infantry Regiment were Arkansas National Guardsmen and they still meet in Branson, along with others, every year.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Hey, after three years off this subject, I'm back Just a few comments and up-dates. Yesterday was the anniversary of the start of the Korea War, but not one word (that I saw) about it was printed in our statewide newspaper. During the past year, the remains of one of our own has been identified and returned to is home county (Montgomery) for burial. Also, one with the home-of-record in Missouri was identified and buried in the Arkansas Veterans Cemetery in North Little Rock. He was buried there because his surviving sister lives in Pine Bluff. They are making slow progress in identifying and returning remains from the war. When I started this Thread there were 8,051 KIA, MIA, and POW whose remains had never been recovered/identified. Now the number is a little under 7,000.
At least progress is being made. I don't remember as much about the Korean war as I do WW2, mainly cause my dad WW2. I do know he worried a little about being called back as an instructor, but his age kept him from going. My sister did have a couple of friends who enlisted, but we didn't have any close relatives involved. Thank goodness.

Prayers and thanks to all who served in Korea or any other war. You are the ones that keep us free, not the ones who protest at every opportunity.
Nita

Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Here are the remains of a Russian truck that was used by the Chinese until we "put it out of commission". You can't see it in the photo but it had the name "3MC" on the front and was about the size of our 3/4 ton. Spring 1951.
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-russian-truck-had-been-used-chinese  

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
We just got back from patriotic salute to our country, held annually at our church. One of the features is a salute to all vets, including the Korean war vets. As the choir sings a salute to each branch of the service, those in attendance that have served in that branch stand up. I spent a good part of the 90 minute program wiping my eyes and not because I was wearing too much makeup.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,397,886 times
Soldiers comfort each other during the Korean War in the early 1950's.
Attached Thumbnails
Korea War-korean-war-comforters-1950s.jpg  

Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Soldiers comfort each other during the Korean War in the early 1950's.
Yep, and the soldier in the helmet is making out the causality tag for the one who just got killed.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
ArkansasSlim. thanks for your service. This may be of interest to you. In 1967 as a brand new Army, Infantry 2nd Lieutenant my orders diverted from sending me to Vietnam which is what I had originally enlisted for and instead, plopped my down in Korea. Almost immediately my battalion from the 7th ID was sent to the DMZ. It took only two days and an ambush to learn that the DMZ really had gone "hot." As it turned out, the new, North Korean offensive was subversive consisting of small combat patrols, ambushes, infiltrations, the attempted assassination of the South Korean president, the taking of the USS Pueblo, etc.

This new "offensive" began in December 1966 and lasted until March 1969. I was there for most of it having arrived in-country in June '67 and staying until March '69. It was thought that the renewed hostilities were due to an agreement between Ho Chi Min and Kim Il Sung to keep the area hot in order to pin the 7th and 2nd Infantry Divisions there so one of them couldn't be sent to Vietnam.

Interestingly enough, a number of members of my first platoon and battalion of the 31st Infantry Regiment were Arkansas National Guardsmen and they still meet in Branson, along with others, every year.
And there were the G.I.s who got hacked to death while cutting down a tree that was obstructing their view at a border bridge, and the tunnels found that would allow a North Korean battalion to march under the 38th in a matter of several minutes. And so much more that our citizens don't know about, or really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas