Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,946 times

Advertisements

Our Top 10 Reasons
1. Close to family (w/o having to live in TX)
2. Clean air, water, land
3. Limited fracking
4. Rural
5. Trees, lakes, wildlife
6. Mild four seasons
7. Cost of living/taxes
8. Senior friendly
9. Central location for U.S. travel
10. Minimal traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 PM

291 posts, read 377,662 times
I am an Arkansas native that moved away for a bit, returned met my now husband of 7 years and am now here for his job. Arkansas is not my 1st choice, however if I look at NWA now compared to the NWA I grew up in -it is so much better! Better schools, school choices-charter, private etc. More people from different areas diffusing the closed mindedness a bit, low unemployment, and so on.We are close to family. Although I honestly think we saw them more when I lived elsewhere and we all set aside time to visit. Also the cost of living allows us more freedom of choice as far as me staying home with our kids.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:10 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,101 times
Moved to Northeastern Arkansas because i wanted to get away from "Diversity". Diversity to me means tons of poor hispanics and blacks, democratic machines that control the politics of the entire city, county or even state to the point where everyone is overtaxxed and has to accept liberal ideals. Everyone here is christian and not liberal and thats just how i like it

Old 01-06-2016, 06:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Moved to Northeastern Arkansas because i wanted to get away from "Diversity". Diversity to me means tons of poor hispanics and blacks, democratic machines that control the politics of the entire city, county or even state to the point where everyone is overtaxxed and has to accept liberal ideals. Everyone here is christian and not liberal and thats just how i like it
wow, I don't know where, in AR you live, but you view of AR is a bit different from what we have found and what we like about AR. WE are in NWA: it is very diverse which is great. Yes, it leans conservative which fits us just fine, but not everyone is Christian and that too is fine. There are plenty of Hispanics living here and blacks as well. Our granddaughter's husband is Hispanic, educated and a conservative as well as a Christian. One of our favorite grocery stores is a Mexican one on 8th street in Rogers.

We moved from NM to be closer to family, and yes to get away from some of the poverty and prejudice we experienced there. We say too many Mexicans living on government handouts and they were not receptive to Anglos living in their neighborhoods, but this is not all Hispanics by any means. Please do not generalize so much. There are good and bad in all cultures.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:17 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,121 times
Quote:
You are disgusted by poor blacks and hispanics, so you moved to a part of the state that has tons of poor whites... ok. Since I would be considered an "upper middle class black", I guess that I would just ruin your Utopian world if I suddenly became your next door neighbor. You'd be perfectly fine if I was a poor, uneducated white person that moved a double-wide mobile home beside you, though.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 AM

229 posts, read 585,051 times
Quote:
Gotta love ignorance

Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
Gotta love ignorance
What do you bet, he won't be back posting much on this tread. I am sure most of us, here on CD and most of those we know in NWA would much prefer living on the same street, working with, going to church with and socializing with educated, law abiding minorities than living next to drug using white trailer trash. BTW, so I don't get clobbered, I am not saying everyone who lives in a trailer or mobile home is trailer trash by any means.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
I am confused. I look at maps with elected officials and they show the Western side of the state as Republican, most of the state as Conservative, the far East, almost border of the state as Democratic leaning. 79% of the state is white with only 7% Hispanic or Latino. 15% are African American. Most of your state (86%) is Christian. Another 7% are Catholic which just so happens are people that believe in Jesus Christ.

To top it off you don't even have 3million people in the state. That leaves about 207,645 or so Hispanics in the entire State of Arkansas. I live in Oxnard CA and we have just under 160,000 Hispanics living in our city. Just about 78% of the people are from South of the Border. These are hard working people. The joke is that you don't pay a Mexican to dig a ditch. You pay him to stop digging. These are people that will not ask for a handout. They don't beg on the street. They may put two or maybe more families into a home but that is only temporary. What happens is they will do that until they can buy a second home. Before you know it, lets say 15 or 20 years, the families all have their own homes. These are people willing to do any job to make it in life. They will sacrifice themselves so that the next generation has an education. Watch out for those poor Latino's. Watch them build a life from nothing and in 20 years have a home, a business, kids that have gained an education. I have watched that my entire life. My wife's family is an example of that.

By the way, Oxnard California is one of the top places to live in the nation. It is one of the safest cities in the nation. Homes are not cheap. The average price in my neighborhood that was built in 1962 is $440,000 and that is for a 1,500 square foot single story, 4 bedroom home on a 6,000 square foot lot. It was not always that way. We used to have a large population of Poor Hispanics, mostly Mexicans. They own many of the business's, they get elected to office, they teach our kids, they are our Police and Fire Departments. They have assimilated. They are more American than you and me.

I love Arkansas. I spent some time visiting my grandparents when I was a kid over in Hot Springs. Loved going there. My great grandmother was born, raised, and spent her entire life on the same spot of ground. My family has history there. I would love to own a home there. Don't get me wrong on what I am saying about where I grew up in California. I am just saying that to bring some perspective to the conversation.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
You are disgusted by poor blacks and hispanics, so you moved to a part of the state that has tons of poor whites... ok. Since I would be considered an "upper middle class black", I guess that I would just ruin your Utopian world if I suddenly became your next door neighbor. You'd be perfectly fine if I was a poor, uneducated white person that moved a double-wide mobile home beside you, though.
That is so funny how people think. Here is one for you, it seems that in many affluent areas it is not color that is the problem, it is not being in the same economic standing. Maybe I have only seen this in Southern California. Maybe it is not happening in other parts of the nation. Share your own situation, taking out the uneducated emphasis that many still have. I mean have you found yourself accepted because of your status in life? When people of means have worked to get where they are financially and happen to be with other accomplished people does color matter anymore? I guess that is the real question that I am asking.

What many fail to realize is that accomplished people know what it takes to get from where they were to where they are now and when they see someone else in the same status or position in life they have the same respect that they would have for anyone else. Maybe I have no clue as a white male. I have no idea. Also realize that many in my part of the world don't care what you look like as much as what you have accomplished in life, or how well you do what ever it is you do. I guess that would be accomplishment over color.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am confused. I look at maps with elected officials and they show the Western side of the state as Republican, most of the state as Conservative, the far East, almost border of the state as Democratic leaning. 79% of the state is white with only 7% Hispanic or Latino. 15% are African American. Most of your state (86%) is Christian. Another 7% are Catholic which just so happens are people that believe in Jesus Christ.

To top it off you don't even have 3million people in the state. That leaves about 207,645 or so Hispanics in the entire State of Arkansas. I live in Oxnard CA and we have just under 160,000 Hispanics living in our city. Just about 78% of the people are from South of the Border. These are hard working people. The joke is that you don't pay a Mexican to dig a ditch. You pay him to stop digging. These are people that will not ask for a handout. They don't beg on the street. They may put two or maybe more families into a home but that is only temporary. What happens is they will do that until they can buy a second home. Before you know it, lets say 15 or 20 years, the families all have their own homes. These are people willing to do any job to make it in life. They will sacrifice themselves so that the next generation has an education. Watch out for those poor Latino's. Watch them build a life from nothing and in 20 years have a home, a business, kids that have gained an education. I have watched that my entire life. My wife's family is an example of that.

By the way, Oxnard California is one of the top places to live in the nation. It is one of the safest cities in the nation. Homes are not cheap. The average price in my neighborhood that was built in 1962 is $440,000 and that is for a 1,500 square foot single story, 4 bedroom home on a 6,000 square foot lot. It was not always that way. We used to have a large population of Poor Hispanics, mostly Mexicans. They own many of the business's, they get elected to office, they teach our kids, they are our Police and Fire Departments. They have assimilated. They are more American than you and me.

I love Arkansas. I spent some time visiting my grandparents when I was a kid over in Hot Springs. Loved going there. My great grandmother was born, raised, and spent her entire life on the same spot of ground. My family has history there. I would love to own a home there. Don't get me wrong on what I am saying about where I grew up in California. I am just saying that to bring some perspective to the conversation.
much of what you are saying about Oxnard fits NWA as well. Yes, we do have Hispanics here and I am sure many are illegals. Some are not hard working I will add, but many are. They too own businesses, one of the few true Mexican restaurants in the area is in our little city. The service is outstanding, the prices moderate and the food wonderful. The restaurant is owned by a Mexican family and all who work there are from the family.

We too have been voted many times as one of the best places to live, to retire, to whatever in the country and we have very little crime. Yes, some of the crime we do have is gang related and many of the gang members are actually from California, but compared to other places we have lived we can be proud of our community, our diversity and our friendliness. Believe or not, (many people do not know this) people in NWA are educated, many are from all over the country and other countries because of large corporations having headquarters here. We take pride in our community, we have a great university that gains in recognition yearly, we have good medical facilities and excellent entertainment as well as outdoor activities.

Thanks for your positive posting: I was born and raised in So. Ca. I will add: Oxnard is a wonderful part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas