U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 PM

95 posts, read 1,165,108 times

Advertisements

ES is great, but have you considered Branson, MO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:13 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
from what the original poster seems to want, I think Eureka Springs would be better than Branson. Again just my humble opinion.

Nita

Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM

9,601 posts, read 23,082,569 times
Nita is right. Retiring to Branson never crossed my mind.
Thanks for all of the helpful responses.My wife and I are looking for a place with creative types around, a place where one doesn't have to hide if they're politically left of center. On the other hand, we're in the Seattle area now, which is maybe a little too much in the politically correct "holier than thou" department.
It probably won't be for a couple of years til we relocate, but the more I hear about Eureka, the more it seems like my kind of place, the place where a "different drummer' type like myself would fit right in.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Nita is right. Retiring to Branson never crossed my mind.
Thanks for all of the helpful responses.My wife and I are looking for a place with creative types around, a place where one doesn't have to hide if they're politically left of center. On the other hand, we're in the Seattle area now, which is maybe a little too much in the politically correct "holier than thou" department.
It probably won't be for a couple of years til we relocate, but the more I hear about Eureka, the more it seems like my kind of place, the place where a "different drummer' type like myself would fit right in.
Sounds like you would do well there. good luck, I know how important it is to find a location that fits your political thinking: offers activities that interest you and the mind set matches what you can live with. Of course some diversity is healthy and needed. These are things we didn't look into when we moved here 6 years ago. We have learned the hard way.

Nita

Old 06-30-2007, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 66,275 times
Just a quick comment, I'm not sure I would have suggested to the original poster to look at the Lovely Citizen newspaper. hehe. I'm not sure the paper reflects the total population of Eureka. But then what newspaper in any city does for that matter? I have a small home in E.S. and love it there. I will have to say in the last few years real estate there has sky rocketed. But if a person is coming from somewhere like the west coast, then they will still be getting a lot for their money. The problem with Eureka is that it's really hard to find a place to buy. The victorian houses are greatly overpriced and then there's all the work that has to be done on a lot of them and then there's also dealing with the historic commission when doing any kind of work/change on the home. Their rules are very stringent. If you can find land and build, that's an option, also. I happen to love that little town. But I stay away from the politics that go on there on a regular basis by a small group

Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 AM

50 posts, read 289,973 times
lavender ~
I'm not sure what you're getting at regarding the Lovely County Citizen. Is it that the viewer might see photos of artists, old hippies, gay people? GASP! The original poster says he's not uncomfortable with those folk. Are you? You say you love the town. What do you love? For anyone with an open mind I can't imagine what harm could be done to them from simply looking at a newspaper. Now it's true that I have fond memories of Eureka. The LCC was not in operation when I lived there but I enjoy looking at it and catching up a little on the town I loved. I know some of the people involved in the paper. I see and read of people that I know, gay and straight, artist and not, old hippie and conservative. I had friends there of all persuasions. For the record I'm a straight male who isn't uncomfortable looking at a newspaper where there might be something I'm not comfortable with. For instance, I often read about the war in Iraq and our "leader". Of course you are right, no paper reflects the total population of a town. How could they. Pardon what may be an over-reaction, or maybe not, but your post smacked to me of perhaps an embracement/approval of censorship. That's not the Eureka I loved or I suspect the Eureka you love.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,443 times
Thumbs up you will DEFINITELY be happier here in Eureka area

Eureka Springs is MUCH quirkier and artistic than Hot Springs.
World of difference!

It cracks me up most people don't realize the actual little town of Eureka Springs is only the center. If in-town is too expensive, check out the surrounding areas.

I prefer the north side of ES. Especially cuz of the art colony and how i hear things are growing "culture" like crazy. ;-)

And the Missouri/Arkansas border is only about 10 miles north of ES. For right now, land is a little cheaper than on the Arkansas side of the street. And we have lakes and rivers on both sides!

Holiday Island is worth checking out. It even has it's own little shopping center! (thankfully) And you don't have to LIVE on HI, if you don't want all the restrictions. Just find something around it.

Knowing u are coming from Seatle, u may find us too slow and small town.
You may want to check out Fayettville, AR to Springfield, MO. Not as fun or liberal, but growing and we hope, evolving. God knows we're TRYING to set a good example! LOL!

Hope you find happy!
deborah

Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM

9,601 posts, read 23,082,569 times
Thanks Deborah!
I like small towns. I grew up in a town of about 900 people.
Seattle has become just a little too big, too trendy, and definitely too expensive. We live in a semi rural enclave about 12 miles from Seattle, with growth fast encroaching. Time to head for the hills?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 AM

7 posts, read 20,520 times
I'm wanting to move to Eureka Springs, too!! I make pine needle baskets and right now I live 2 hrs away and I go to Eureka to sell my baskets at the Sunday market, a really cool place--it meets in one of the parking lots in the historic district--where people sell art, crafts, veggies, etc. But I'm thinking of moving there-(I'll rent)
I heard that the whole town of Eureka Springs is suppose to be haunted--The Crescent Hotel is really haunted!! (So is the Basin Park hotel) The TAPS Ghosthunters visited it last year and was on one of their episodes on Sci-Fi. I felt it when I was there!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 16,903 times
I have lived in ES for a bit and it is very tolerant of liberal thinking, you will have no problems, also hot springs is a very artsy place. In HS you can go to the poets loft every wed. night and listen to poets bash bush and cheney.
The only problem with ES is that it is mostly tourist and in the winter they town partly shuts down. There is still a tourist traffic, but much less.
In HS you have Oak Lawn that starts up in the winter and it keeps things pumping, also you get a bit of snow in ES and none usualy in HS.
If you move out side of these areas, I have seen a lot of raceist thinking in some of the towns I lived.
Harrison is known for its KKK association and many there seem very proud of it, when I have talked to the avrage joe there.
Many of the small towns like harrison and mountain pine have a big population of original locals that do not like people from outside moving in to their area. So you get the "you aint from these parts are you"
But in ES and HS and HSVillage there are so many people from cal. wi. mi. in. and the like you will not feel out of place or need to go under cover as I put it, and put in the bad front teeth from wal-mart to fit in.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Eureka Springs wanted-russ_fur_hat_cropped.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or