Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM

19 posts, read 103,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royearl View Post
There is a deverse population here. People from many states and countries move and retire here. There are areas of poverty around the village, as in all of Arkansas, but not such a large population of impoverished people as you would find in the larger cities in our state. Many churches of different types to support the diversity of the population. Peace and quiet, natural beauty, and a simple life is what we have to offer. Sorry, no big name restaurants or shopping centers. I think many come here and try to change it to what they had somewhere else. I left somewhere else for the changes I have experienced here, with no regrets at all.
We welcome all newcomers to CV from all walks of life and indeed hope to meet up sometime for a sweet tea on a quiet afternoon. I recognize some names on here from the village2ya, CV forum, and also welcome you to join there for interesting discussion of CV issues.
IMO, "areas of poverty" sounds a bit unappealing for a retirement community. I mean, even among those who celebrate diversity, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "Hey, I know what this place needs! It needs some poverty!" Could you be more descriptive about these areas and what identifies them as being poverty stricken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 02:20 PM

58 posts, read 194,961 times
Thumbs up Hi Timetheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
Congrats on your decision! September is wonderful time to arrive in CV. The churches are great and should be a real solid basis of community. The fact that CV is a retirement community primarily provides many positives and possibilities to meet folks from all over with diverse views on life. Some of the posts that are critical do speak certain truths about the state of the local economy, pace, and some need for expanded thinking in some quarters. (Isn't that last one true everywhere?) But my take is that CV is getting better and better each day in every regard. I have found folks truly freindly and wanting CV to "develop" while holding on to its core vision as a welcoming retirement community with a village feel. In the years to come, I see great promise for all who have made the move and like you are part of the bright future of this community. May the Lord bless you richly as you establish your new home.
Hi Timtheman!

That is so encouraging! I cannot wait to get there! I still have to sell my townhouse here....before the move is permanent....But at least I'll have a couple days to soak in the peace and quiet.

My only real concern at this point is that I won't want to fly back home!

The Lord is so good. I have met so many wonderful folks on this site!

Thanks much!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 PM

21 posts, read 85,308 times
Default Cherokee Village

Hi Maggiemae, I was simply replying to something Raventeeth said in a previous post. I was not saying that it was a good thing to have poverty areas, but that in most areas of Arkansas you will find these areas. This state has a lot of folks just making ends meet. The wages here can be low. It sure is not a good thing at all. It is sad to see. My point was that Raventeeth was saying how depressed economically we are here in and around CV. I was jusy replying to him that it is not much different here than anywhere else in the state, maybe with exception to the NW corner of the state.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM

111 posts, read 504,064 times
Default Visit

Victor219,

Thanks for your kind reply. What did you think of your visit to Cherokee Village and your house hunting experience? I would be curious on your intital impression about life there. All the best!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor912 View Post
I am considering buying a retirement property in Cherokee Village AR. Can anyone give me an idea of what I might run into in terms of race issues. I'm single over 60 with no children..

I have already read a lot of the threads regarding shopping, rural conditions, weather, Bible Belt, etc. etc. I am fine with all of that. I'm moving from CA and am looking forward to a much slower pace. And I am a Christian so I'm also fine with a Christian community. I want peace and quite and maybe a little fishing now and then..

BUT I don't want to have crosses burned on my lawn or anything. And I don't want to be afraid to go out of my house to shop or recreate.

I would appreciate candid comments. I've worked too hard to end up in a retirement location that causes me more stress than my job!

Thanks

Ha...there are some racists in the South, to be sure, but no one is going to burn a cross on your lawn or harass you when you are out and about. Most people are going to treat you just like any other person, provided you treat them kindly and with respect. But some things are still taboo here, like interracial dating. But there are white churches here with black members. I think the main form of racism that still exists here is more like the "anti-thug" thinking. A young black male with sagging shorts and doo rag looking gangsta is not looked kindly upon - but for that matter, a white person with the same look and mentality is looked upon the same way.

But basically, being a 60+ christian woman I don't think you are going to have any problems. You won't receive any hatred anyway, you'll be treated kindly probably, but, truthfully you might not have an easy time making white friends, because there is still racial segregation in the South. Not physical segregation, but social. Don't get the wrong idea, no one is going to harass you and they will be kind to you, but there is a certain "barrier" that still exists here that make interracial relationships, even friendships, taboo.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM

That taboo won't be happening at my house and you can count it won't at many other houses in the Cherokee Village coming into being more and more every day. I appreciate folks talking about "real life" issues but let's give credit to the forward-moving face of CV.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
That taboo won't be happening at my house and you can count it won't at many other houses in the Cherokee Village coming into being more and more every day. I appreciate folks talking about "real life" issues but let's give credit to the forward-moving face of CV.
Tim, I hope you get to meet Roz - she's certainly on her way, and I would expect she will get a nice welcome once she gets settled in. CV is moving ahead - all of Arkansas is moving ahead, and we're being "found" as a great retirement spot. The best thing we can do for our state is to put our best foot forward and welcome people who want to relocate here for our beautiful scenery, clean air, outdoor activities....there's so much here, and we all need to be thankful for the Roz's of the world who can appreciate our state!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
Quote:
But many it will,

Old 09-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Hi Roz,

How are things going with your plans? Keep us posted!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:08 AM

58 posts, read 194,961 times
Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. Things have been most crazed at work.
I am a realist and I want honest feedback from each of you who are willing to share. I appreciate all of your posts.

I expect to keep a low profile and don't plan on forcing myself on anyone. I have been raised to treat everyone with respect and I live my life in that manner. If anyone gives me the impression they don't want to be around me I will respect their wishes, be as friendly as I can and leave them alone.

I know i'm moving to the South and I understand the history there. I tired to place myself in an area that would afford me the most comfort as well as those around me. I'm still hoping CV is that place!

Everyone on this site has been so tremendously helpful I am certain the Lord was in my finding this site.

I will be there for a few days the end of this month. Tickets have been purchased. So I will be there! 9/28/07 - 10/-2/07

My property here has not sold yet and things are SO SLOW due to all the mortgage loan problems these days....Lord only knows how long it will take now. So plans to move permanently are on hold. Could be a blessing, the Lord is never late. Perhaps there are some things He knows I need to take care of at a slower pace than I wanted. I still have a job and can prepare better so I'm looking at it in that light.

FYI there are daily commercials on TV here for some place in AR called "Bella Vista" Erik Estrada is the pitch man. Don't know how successful they are but they are really pushing it and the actors or those giving testimonials are "Diverse"......

Looking forward to my trip. I will be getting in touch with Sam we'll go from there.

Regards,

Roz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas