U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 PM

138 posts, read 249,735 times
Well hell Dave, it sounds like just the savings on your next pair of glasses will pay for your move back to Tejas.

You know it's not a bad thing that you don't like it here, but I swear you whine more than an 8th grade girl who didn't get asked to the winter dance.

I have no doubts that if you ever do man up and move back to Tejas that you will soon be on the TX board complaining about all the mexicans, the traffic, and any other thing that offends your delicate nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 7,517 times
Ya'll are hilarious! I've been to Rio Rancho, NM. It is a bedroom community of Albuquerque, like Richardson or Mesquite is to Dallas. There is an interesting page about the CV, Bella Vista, etc. area I looked at and it said it can snow up to 3 inches in Jan there. Is that really the truth? Is it a snow that melts quickly or snow plows will be called soon. I lived in Utah where there is serious snow, and also in southern Mo, where it snowed, but wasn't particularly hard to get around in. Fruit is very important, but anything else can be ordered on line. Do you see the UPS or FEDEX truck often? Dare I even ask if there is curbside recycling? Is the landfill friendly? I'm being silly, but I am trying not to get too excited about moving there. My daughter said it is "quirky and quaint".

Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM

3,204 posts, read 1,792,937 times
Where are you moving to, New Mexico or Arkansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbott View Post
Ya'll are hilarious! I've been to Rio Rancho, NM. It is a bedroom community of Albuquerque, like Richardson or Mesquite is to Dallas. There is an interesting page about the CV, Bella Vista, etc. area I looked at and it said it can snow up to 3 inches in Jan there. Is that really the truth? Is it a snow that melts quickly or snow plows will be called soon. I lived in Utah where there is serious snow, and also in southern Mo, where it snowed, but wasn't particularly hard to get around in. Fruit is very important, but anything else can be ordered on line. Do you see the UPS or FEDEX truck often? Dare I even ask if there is curbside recycling? Is the landfill friendly? I'm being silly, but I am trying not to get too excited about moving there. My daughter said it is "quirky and quaint".

Old 07-18-2010, 04:10 AM

47,395 posts, read 37,409,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Where are you moving to, New Mexico or Arkansas?
I am little confused as well. In either case, yes it snaws a little in the mid winter months and yes, it melts pretty fast!!!

Nita

Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 7,517 times
Sorry for the confusion. My husband and I are retired. We are seriously considering a house in Cherokee Village. We have been doing lots of research on the area, and decided that Cherokee Village was were we would settle. Because of employment, I was able to live in lots of different areas of the US and the world. (Not the Army, Refining Engineer) Right now we live in Las Vegas, NV. Nice retirement area, but just too hot for us. 112 yesterday, expected to go down to 106 by Friday. I am a proud bred and born Texan, and my husband is from northern Utah. He thinks Arkansas it one big beautiful calendar picture, and wants to live in CV. I like the area as well. I was concerned about the POA being heavy handed but since I don't plan to do any drilling for oil in the front yard, maybe plant a Chinese Maple, some irises, daffodils and tulips, I think I can get along.
I enjoy the banter of this group of educated, street wise and generally all around nice people. Yes, I'm speaking about you. Thanks for your replies, Tinker

Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbott View Post
Sorry for the confusion. My husband and I are retired. We are seriously considering a house in Cherokee Village. We have been doing lots of research on the area, and decided that Cherokee Village was were we would settle. Because of employment, I was able to live in lots of different areas of the US and the world. (Not the Army, Refining Engineer) Right now we live in Las Vegas, NV. Nice retirement area, but just too hot for us. 112 yesterday, expected to go down to 106 by Friday. I am a proud bred and born Texan, and my husband is from northern Utah. He thinks Arkansas it one big beautiful calendar picture, and wants to live in CV. I like the area as well. I was concerned about the POA being heavy handed but since I don't plan to do any drilling for oil in the front yard, maybe plant a Chinese Maple, some irises, daffodils and tulips, I think I can get along.
I enjoy the banter of this group of educated, street wise and generally all around nice people. Yes, I'm speaking about you. Thanks for your replies, Tinker
Tinker,

You sound about like us: we spent many years in Dallas and then decided to retire or semi to Albuquerque, but it just wasn't us. Originally we thought we would move to Vegas or Parhump, we are glad we didn't.

We settled in BV for about the same reasons you are considering CV and the areas are similar, both originally developed by Cooper. If CV is like BV you are not going to find too many restrictions that will interfer with your living. Of course if your idea of a good life is riding a motorcycle up and down the street for hours or you think you have every right to have loud parties all night or let you property go to HELL, you might want to find someplace else to live, but overall, at least here, we haven't had any problems.

I will add, one of the posters on the CV board that is unhappy, used to live in Las Vegas and she was unhappy there as well. These are the types of posters I try to ignore (darn that can be hard)

Nita

Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 AM

511 posts, read 280,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncronejr View Post
Well hell Dave, it sounds like just the savings on your next pair of glasses will pay for your move back to Tejas.

You know it's not a bad thing that you don't like it here, but I swear you whine more than an 8th grade girl who didn't get asked to the winter dance.

I have no doubts that if you ever do man up and move back to Tejas that you will soon be on the TX board complaining about all the mexicans, the traffic, and any other thing that offends your delicate nature.

Haha, you do sound like a true Arkansas. And if you think I'm coming across as a whine bag, no one is forcing ya to read my posts, good buddy.

I like to think that my comments are factual, although impressions of rudeness are subjective. But my perceptions have been supported by others like the nice couple who posted here that not one kind Christian sole in this region would help them out. I also talked to a gal from Malvern, and she said it wasn't just me. She said Bryant is known for being a town of stuck up rude people, and she won't even go to Walmart there because of the poor treatment. I laughed and told her that I actually had to file a complaint against a Walmart employee there.

As for moving back to Texas, we are in a bad recession in case ya didn't know. Jobs are pretty scarce these days. I may be unhappy in this town, but at least I can pay my bills.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Haha, you do sound like a true Arkansas. And if you think I'm coming across as a whine bag, no one is forcing ya to read my posts, good buddy.

I like to think that my comments are factual, although impressions of rudeness are subjective. But my perceptions have been supported by others like the nice couple who posted here that not one kind Christian sole in this region would help them out. I also talked to a gal from Malvern, and she said it wasn't just me. She said Bryant is known for being a town of stuck up rude people, and she won't even go to Walmart there because of the poor treatment. I laughed and told her that I actually had to file a complaint against a Walmart employee there.

As for moving back to Texas, we are in a bad recession in case ya didn't know. Jobs are pretty scarce these days. I may be unhappy in this town, but at least I can pay my bills.
I am sure you know Texas has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Maybe you just can't convince anyone to look past your resume or you are trying to return to a small town like Tyler. I am sure jobs are harder to find there. Why you left who knows?

Yes, you post here often enough and read enough you will find a few that agree with you, but very few and yes, you are the number 1 whiner. Why do so many of us follow your postings? It reminds us how lucky we are to have a slightly more positive opinion of Ar and life in general.

We can all sight things we don't like about anyplace, even AR, but most of us don't keep harping on the negatives. After 2 years you can't tell me, there is nothing positive to report!!!

I hate the windy roads in Bella Vista, but it one of the things that makes the area pretty. I wish we lived a little closer to a main hwy, but that is the price we pay for watching the wild life or being able to walk out in our back yard with almost no cloths on and know, not a sole in the world will see us. Thank God~~

I sometimes miss having a zillion grocery stores to choose from, but I also love the friendliness of our little local store.

I too hate spending a fortune on glasses and dental work. Luckily we have insurance to help and no, we have priced crowns in several areas recently. AR isn't any more expensive than anywhere else and less than some places. As for glasses, it is crazy, but yes, if you want designer frames and all the extras like scratch proof etc you will pay a fortune. I have recently (from my experience in NM) learned to ask for the least expensive frames. I was surprised when they took out a brief case full of many I could choose from.

So continue to post, continue to entertain us with your never ending trails and tribulations that only you take seriously and we will continue to laugh at you; not with you, but at you.

As for the couple that posted about their misfortune, if you notice, as soon as she finished her ranting she dissappeared. She was having a rough time, our hearts went out to her even though she should have been better prepared for the move, but we also realized she just needed to vent. That was the end of it, a couple of postings, she apparently, eventually found a place to live and got a pay check and has gone on with her life. At least I hope so.

Nita

Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 AM

511 posts, read 280,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure you know Texas has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Maybe you just can't convince anyone to look past your resume or you are trying to return to a small town like Tyler. I am sure jobs are harder to find there. Why you left who knows?

Yes, you post here often enough and read enough you will find a few that agree with you, but very few and yes, you are the number 1 whiner. Why do so many of us follow your postings? It reminds us how lucky we are to have a slightly more positive opinion of Ar and life in general.

We can all sight things we don't like about anyplace, even AR, but most of us don't keep harping on the negatives. After 2 years you can't tell me, there is nothing positive to report!!!

I hate the windy roads in Bella Vista, but it one of the things that makes the area pretty. I wish we lived a little closer to a main hwy, but that is the price we pay for watching the wild life or being able to walk out in our back yard with almost no cloths on and know, not a sole in the world will see us. Thank God~~

I sometimes miss having a zillion grocery stores to choose from, but I also love the friendliness of our little local store.

I too hate spending a fortune on glasses and dental work. Luckily we have insurance to help and no, we have priced crowns in several areas recently. AR isn't any more expensive than anywhere else and less than some places. As for glasses, it is crazy, but yes, if you want designer frames and all the extras like scratch proof etc you will pay a fortune. I have recently (from my experience in NM) learned to ask for the least expensive frames. I was surprised when they took out a brief case full of many I could choose from.

So continue to post, continue to entertain us with your never ending trails and tribulations that only you take seriously and we will continue to laugh at you; not with you, but at you.

As for the couple that posted about their misfortune, if you notice, as soon as she finished her ranting she dissappeared. She was having a rough time, our hearts went out to her even though she should have been better prepared for the move, but we also realized she just needed to vent. That was the end of it, a couple of postings, she apparently, eventually found a place to live and got a pay check and has gone on with her life. At least I hope so.

Nita
Well, it's nice to know that you are entertained and taking pleasure from my negative experiences. As a human being, I try to treat people with respect, and not make fun of others. I guess that is not the Arkansas way based strictly on your post!

As for your comments on the job market, are you freaking kidding me? The recession has drastically reduced hiring everywhere. And the ones that you find aren't paying a decent wage. I'm seeing IT jobs requiring certs offering only 10 bucks an hour. In Dallas! I am thankful for the job I have here.

Obviously you are retired living in country club fantasy world up there. Things are different here. And oh, I did find one positive. My barber is pretty friendly and does a great job!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Well, it's nice to know that you are entertained and taking pleasure from my negative experiences. As a human being, I try to treat people with respect, and not make fun of others. I guess that is not the Arkansas way based strictly on your post!

As for your comments on the job market, are you freaking kidding me? The recession has drastically reduced hiring everywhere. And the ones that you find aren't paying a decent wage. I'm seeing IT jobs requiring certs offering only 10 bucks an hour. In Dallas! I am thankful for the job I have here.

Obviously you are retired living in country club fantasy world up there. Things are different here. And oh, I did find one positive. My barber is pretty friendly and does a great job!
I am living in a great area, you are right and I am semi retired, but guess what? I have kids and grandkids in the working world, some in OKC, some here in NWA, and many in the Dallas area. They are all gainfully employed with good jobs and working for companies that are still hiring. What is the unemployment rate in Texas, any idea and what is it nationwide?

beleive it or not, I am considered a very friendly, sincere and outgoing person, but I have a problem with whiners..I see the glass 1/2 full, unlike some who never see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas