U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM

12,439 posts, read 5,358,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Well I've been told that morphine goes good with whiskey.

I don't know why you keep referring to the good ole boy network again and again. Where did you even get that from? I think there probably is some old money that Baker tries to keep happy and people in the country do sometimes refer to each other as ol' boys. Other than that what the heck is The good ole' boy network?

Can you back up what you are saying? Who exactly told you all of this?
You have actually never heard on the good old boy network...really? Every small town in america has it. You have a few people that have families that have been in the town for generations, who virtually contol a lot of what goes in the town both politically and economically...good ole boys.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 978,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You have actually never heard on the good old boy network...really? Every small town in america has it. You have a few people that have families that have been in the town for generations, who virtually contol a lot of what goes in the town both politically and economically...good ole boys.
There are good ole' boys all over this part of the world. I met some ole' boys in Charlotte.

I just want to know what exactly is THE good ole boy network that bchris keeps referring to. Do they have a website? Can you prove that such a group really exists?

There is old money of course and some of them probably do refer to each other as ole' boys. That doesn't make a conspiracy though.
I'm not even for Baker but if your going to start making claims at least be able to back them up.
There are certainly men who dress in black but that doesn't mean that The men in black exist.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:02 PM

7,947 posts, read 8,968,605 times
Quote:
Well I've been told that morphine goes good with whiskey.

I don't know why you keep referring to the good ole boy network again and again. Where did you even get that from? I think there probably is some old money that Baker tries to keep happy and people in the country do sometimes refer to each other as ol' boys. Other than that what the heck is The good ole' boy network?

Can you back up what you are saying? Who exactly told you all of this?
My grandfather, who was a manager at Whirlpool for over 30 years.

As for "good ole' boy network"..it is a way of life in most small towns and rural areas across the US. Fort Smith is no exception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_ol'_boy_network

Last edited by bchris02; 10-17-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
My grandfather, who was a manager at Whirlpool for over 30 years.

As for "good ole' boy network"..it is a way of life in most small towns and rural areas across the US. Fort Smith is no exception.

Good ol' boy network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well my friend was a manager at whirlpool for 35 years and he said it doesn't exist.

Nothing can be proven here, until it can be it's just a conspiracy theory.
I personally believe there is actually at least some degree of truth to it.

I also believe that Baker probably does actually believe in maintaining Fort Smiths history and personality, I don't think it's all just some kind of elaborate scheme.
I believe he also does cater to old money or the good ole boys if you want to call it that, thats politics for you.
Those are just my opinions though, I can't prove my opinions.

Why would anyone think that Fort Smith was an exception to the good ol boy rules?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Well my friend was a manager at whirlpool for 35 years and he said it doesn't exist.

Nothing can be proven here, until it can be it's just a conspiracy theory.
I personally believe there is actually at least some degree of truth to it.
Your right, it cannot be proven, but I have the personal experience of being cheated out of an IT internship at Rheem when I was in college due to the good ole' boy network. I was by far the most qualified candidate but one of the higher-ups had a nephew graduating high school that year so he got the position. The good ole' boy system is more than a conspiracy when it personally affects you.

Quote:
I also believe that Baker probably does actually believe in maintaining Fort Smiths history and personality, I don't think it's all just some kind of elaborate scheme.
I believe he also does cater to old money or the good ole boys if you want to call it that, thats politics for you.
Those are just my opinions though, I can't prove my opinions.
There should be a balance between preserving history and economic growth..something that Baker doesn't realize. Given Fort Smith's location on the river, under the right leadership it could have seen some considerable benefit from the boom in NWA over the past two decades, yet in Baker's Fort Smith, you would never know you were a mere 40 minutes from what was (before the recession) one of the fastest growing areas of the country. Its simply sad when you consider the potential that was squandered.

Quote:
Why would anyone think that Fort Smith was an exception to the good ol boy rules?
You yourself said in a previous post there wasn't a good ole' boy system in Ft Smith.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Your right, it cannot be proven, but I have the personal experience of being cheated out of an IT internship at Rheem when I was in college due to the good ole' boy network. I was by far the most qualified candidate but one of the higher-ups had a nephew graduating high school that year so he got the position. The good ole' boy system is more than a conspiracy when it personally affects you.

You yourself said in a previous post there wasn't a good ole' boy system in Ft Smith.
What you don't think I've never been screwed out of a job.
I joined the army when I was 17. My dad killed himself on fathers day when I was 18. You want to tell me how bad your life is some more?
I still consider myself lucky, I knew people that got murdered at 18-21. I've had 10 years of life that they never got to enjoy!

There may be a "good ole boy network" in Fort Smith with a secret handshake and everything. I don't know, you can't prove that anymore than you can prover the illuminati controls the world.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 AM

11 posts, read 14,763 times
Mr. FriendFeller, I'm a bit confused about your statement and question to bchris02...First, I see only ONE post from bchriso2, so why do you say, "...keep referring to the good ole' boy network again and again..."? And, second, I know exactly what people in Fort Smith are talking about when they refer to "The good ole' boy network." anyone who has lived in Fort Smith since at least the early 90's know exactly who this network involves, but to drop names will cause problems for the soul brave enough to do it. Fort Smith is well know for it's cliques, there are many of them. I was in one of them that was very large and we knew all those good ole boys; we listened and we watched and we know what is truly going on with the Board of Directors and Mr. Baker. To try and explain who this network involves and what each of them are doing, what they have to protect, etc., would be like writing a book. For now, it's easier and much more hopeful that we just get new blood in power and Mr. Sanders is the only person on the ticket who can do that. Some people believe Mr. Sanders is part of the good ole boy network because he knows and associates with them, however, I believe Mr. Sanders will let his integrity shine through and drop these good ole boys, with their deceitful practices in hand, directly to the mud hole they belong in. And, then I hope he washes his hands REALLY, REALLY, WELL. If not, it may be time to write a book...

Last edited by Renae101; 10-22-2010 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Default A new mayor can't help us!

Well, I'm very disappointed...I thought Fort Smith had the "Mayor-Council" form of government, which I believe is the best form, however, Fort Smith does indeed have the "City Administrator" form of government.

So, this is what it boils down to: The Good Ole' Boy Network which is well and thriving in Fort Smith while the masses are striving to survive, is set firmly in it's place...no person elected as Mayor in Fort Smith has the power to do much of anything; why do we even pay for a Mayor??? I couldn't help but right more about The Good Ole' Boy Network at the end of this post because I am certain this is the REAL problem Fort Smith must overcome...I hope you have the patience to read it...

I do hope everyone on this forum, as well as all guests, carefully read the laws governing our city that I have copied and pasted below...it sickens me. IF WE REALLY WANT TO CHANGE THE LEADERSHIP OF FORT SMITH, WE MUST CHANGE OUR FORM OF GOVERNMENT BACK TO MAYOR-COUNCIL OR WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHO TO REPLACE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND LIKELY REPLACE THE CITY ADMINISTRATOR. AS YOU WILL SEE, THE ADMINISTRATOR HAS AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF POWER AND THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS HAVE MORE THAN THEIR FAIR SHARE, THE MAYOR HAS LITTLE TO NONE.

Here is the law that explains the duties of the Mayor of Fort Smith, they are in bold print and underlined if you want to jump to a quick read:

City administrator. Any first-class city may adopt the city administrator form of government.

In any city with city administrator form of government there are seven elected directors and one elected mayor.

The legislative and executive authority rests with the board of directors, subject to certain powers granted the mayor. The board is required to
meet in regular session twice a month. The mayor presides over all board meetings and has the power of veto except in matters of personnel. The board may override the mayor’s veto by an affirmative veto of five or more.

To be eligible to run for mayor or director, an individual must be more than 21 years of age, and have resided within the municipality for at least six months, and be qualified elector. All terms are for four years and all elections are non-partisan.

The mayor is not required to give full time to the office and may receive such salary or compensation as determined by the board of directors within the limits set by law.

In a city with administrator form of government, the board of directors employs a city administrator who serves at the pleasure of the board.

The officers of treasurer, city clerk, city attorney, heads of departments, and city employees are filled by the administrator with the approval of the board of directors.

It is also the city administrator’s responsibility to supervise all city employees, departments, agencies, and offices and to perform such other cuties as may be assigned by the board of directors.

Three cities in Arkansas had the city administrator form of government in 2003. They were Barling, Fort Smith, and Siloam Springs.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW WE ADOPTED THIS FORM OF GOVERNMENT AND WHO WAS BEHIND IT???

MORE ON THE GOOD OLE' BOY NETWORK:

The Good Ole' Boy Network may be best summed up by using a few of the most famous phrases in history...The NETWORK develops early on, sometimes from generations past, among family, friends, close acquaintances; and mostly with people in power and those with business ties for they are key and detrimental to forming the NETWORK, who all work together under the cover of leading a city to wealth and prosperity, while secretly using the SILENT philosophy of, "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours"; the NETWORK thrives, and if left undisturbed long enough will inevitably lead to stagnation and decay of the city, but not for the NETWORK: "a decadent life of excessive money and no sense of responsibility; this NETWORK of wealth grows steadily as the wealth of the city itself and it's masses dwindles to the point that, "Morality—the idiosyncrasy of decadents, with the ulterior motive of revenging themselves on life—successfully,"is finally exposed. And, because our city is one full of cliques with knowledge of the NETWORK, and FED UP WITH POVERTY, the final phrase may be, "...in vain is the net baited while the bird is looking on..."

Even the "good" Good Ole' Boys in the Network that runs the city can come to wear rose colored glasses, causing them to be unable to see the suffering of the lowly masses, the stagnation of our city. The vital interests of the individual parties in the NETWORK become the priority and the protected, first and foremost, like family...

However, a fool knows that monetary losses for the few are worthy of the sacrifice for the monetary gain of the masses. The birds in this city are fed up with settling for crumbs, we are tired of living in poverty and we have been doing so for more than 20 years. We are searching for a leader who will not only represent, lead, and guide us to true wealth and prosperity, but a leader who will look among the birds to find the EAGLES, and put them in positions to lead Fort Smith into the city we've all known it could be for decades. BUT, a new Mayor cannot even look among the birds, the Eagles are useless because The Good Ole' Boys don't want them in their NETWORK, too much to lose if things begin moving and shaking, and they have ALL OF THE POWER...

We ARE stagnate, we ARE a poor city, and we need movers and shakers. I believe Mr. Sandy Sanders has the intelligence, education, experience and the vision to take us where we should have been a decade ago, but now I know he should be the City Administrator, not the Mayor. I only hope and pray the voters of Fort Smith realize the effort it will take our city leaders to pull us out of this recession, and realize how deep we were into our own private recession long before the nation found itself in it, too, and vote Mr. Sanders into the position he has opted for...I suppose it is better than nothing at all.

ON OCTOBER 22, 2010, Mayor Ray Baker made it very clear that his only role was ceremonial. That is not entirely true, he does have a FEW more obligations, but none that really matter. No wonder Mayor Baker wants this job so badly, shoot, I now know I am qualified to run. I'm pretty good at cutting ribbons myself...I wouldn't have to work full time and there would be no stress at all!

These are quotes from Mayor Baker given at the forum debate on October 22, 2010:

"I like my job ladies and gentlemen," Baker told the room. "I like doing the ceremonies."

He had a message for sanders and his supporters.

"If you don't like the role of mayor change the form of government," the incumbent candidate challenged.

I SAY, I AGREE MR. BAKER, I HOPE THE BIRDS AND THE EAGLES OF FORT SMITH COME TOGETHER AND CHANGE THE FORM OF GOVERNMENT BACK TO MAYOR-COUNCIL...THE ADMINISTRATOR HAS FAR TOO MUCH POWER AND SO DOES THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Question is, do most Fort Smith residents want change? Or are they content with just preserving the status quo? I remember when I lived in Ft Smith, a select few, mostly in the younger generation and at UAFS, were actively working for change and against Baker and the good ole' boy network...yet the vast majority of established Fort Smithians were happy with the town the way it is. They spoke of the boom in NWA like it was a bad thing and it seemed they wanted to keep Fort Smith a quiet, sleepy town uncorrupted by wealth and people moving in from out of state.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Default I'm not sure

I think there is a better chance now than ever before to begin making the changes, I know more people want change and I know more people are truly fed up with trying to survive in this town, but I think this thing runs so deep that it will take a large group of very determined and intelligent people with some pull somewhere to ever break through this mess. It's 20 years of decay we must dig through. People aren't LIVING here, they're surviving. The young people go out to dinner and party on the week-ends and most everyone else sits home trying to entertain children on their last dollar without traveling to Fayetteville or some other city with affordable attractions for children. Every age group goes to Fayetteville quite frequently,now, because they have so much to offer.

I see the growth in NWA and I'm truly envious of their lifestyle now. The pay is even higher up there. I would like to know the absolute truth, bottom line, as to why nothing good ever makes it to Fort Smith. Channel 5 is extremely biased toward Mayor Baker and the City Administrator, Board, the works. They start a story about the possibility of something great coming into Fort Smith, but then we here it is shut down and Channel 5 never reports as to WHY. They wouldn't even show the clip on TV or the internet where Baker said, "The role of Mayor is Celebratory, the Administrator runs the city...if people don't like what the Mayor does they need to change Arkansas law.", because Baker came across as an arrogant, lazy, selfish fool and channel 5 didn't want to hurt his reputation. Channel 40 showed it though! Go KHBS! Ray Baker would not come near running for mayor if we adopted Mayor-Council form back in because there would be far too much work for him to do! It appears that Fort Smith adopted the Administration Form in 2003, so Baker would have been Mayor when this was done. He was planning his retirement right there and then! The past 7 years he has had nothing to do but cut ribbons and draw a salary...you gotta give it to him, he's pretty smart.

I don't know how old you are bchris, or how long you lived here, but if you lived here from the early 90's up until you left, I know you are talking of the very same people I am, you know exactly who they are. Have you ever just sat down and thought of names, careers, etc., and realized how far reaching this all is? Everyone in that network has their close family and friend's set for life, too, so long as nothing stirs the pot...but it IS far reaching.

That's why so many residents are content to live here in this sleepy little town. After all, those in the network have the money to travel out of this place any time they want and I am not exaggerating.

Well, I'm going to do some research...I want to know Baker's salary; I want to know how the form of city government was changed and who initiated it; and I want to know how to go about changing it back because that's the only way to pull the power from the Good Ole' Boy Network. Maybe Mr. Sanders already has this in mind, wouldn't that be a dream come true? Why is the 2nd largest city in Arkansas ONE OF ONLY THREE cities who adopted this ridiculous form of government? It's fishy, stinky fishy. It's the perfect way to keep a Good Ole' Boy Network in power, though. perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas