Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,605 times

Advertisements

Well, guys, it's down to Scott Day, Sandy Sanders, and Ray Baker.

Scott Day has been a close family friend for a long time, and my vote goes to him. His myspace: myspace.com/375081128

Who are you voting for, and what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Ignea12; 07-14-2010 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: To fix link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,461 times
What makes Scott Day qualified to be mayor of the second largest city in Arkansas? Isn't he 25?

I would like to see Sanders win, but I expect Baker to win.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 PM

[crickets]

I guess Mr. Day doesn't really have much going for him in the mayoral race?

From my five-minute google search, I see that he has a house painting business, two children, and a wife. That seems to be all he has to offer Fort Smith at this point.

Scott Day For Mayor 2010

Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
I am just curious. Was Sandy Sanders part of the Whirlpool administration that asked their hourly employees to take a cut in pay and then after they accepted a pay cut, the company started moving their products to Mexico????
I really don't know........

Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM

He worked for Whirlpool, but says he retired in 1998:

http://www.thecitywire.com/?q=node/6076

Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,018 times
Quote:
Scott Day has been a close family friend for a long time, and my vote goes to him. His myspace: MySpace - Scott Day - 25 - Male - FORT SMITH - myspace.com/375081128
Well why don't you tell him he should update his blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outatowner View Post
I am just curious. Was Sandy Sanders part of the Whirlpool administration that asked their hourly employees to take a cut in pay and then after they accepted a pay cut, the company started moving their products to Mexico????
I really don't know........
Apparently not

I'm voting Sanders. It's largely just symbolic anyways so in this instance I think it is ok to vote for someone just for changes sake.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:25 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,556 times
If I still lived there, I would vote for Sandy Sanders. Mayor Baker needs to retire and deal with his health problems. He's been mayor for long enough--time for someone new.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM

11 posts, read 26,540 times
Mr. Sanders may have retired from Whirlpool in 1998, but he was definitely part of the administration in the mid 1980's that initiated the many lay offs while sending the product to Mexico, which turned out to be a miserable failure for Whirlpool. The quality of the product manufactured in Mexico was commensurate with the pay the Mexican's received...and to be fair, the people in Mexico just weren't trained to do what we did here. It all may be working out for Whirlpool this time around, I don't know, but regardless of all that, I believe Sandy Sanders to be a great leader. He is well educated; very articulate; caring and kind; has decades of experience in business leadership, and I believe he truly cares about the future of Fort Smith. We ARE the 2nd largest city in Arkansas but a visitor would never know that by just visiting us, we have no attractions, nothing to do and it is SAD. I would be willing to bet that Mr. Sanders not only has a vision for what this city needs and what it can become, but that he also has the wisdom to get us there, and I really and truly believe that. I am so tired of waiting for this city to change...we need new blood.

Last edited by Renae101; 10-12-2010 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Mistake in grammar.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Baker's primary objective is pleasing and preserving the existing good ole' boy network in Fort Smith no matter what the cost to the town's long-term future. From what I was told when I lived there (this was before the recession), its in the network's best interest that the city remain stagnant. Fort Smith employers pay very low wages for the jobs that are there and if new employers brought jobs into Fort Smith the existing employers would be forced to compete or lose employees. People are also not keen on a bunch of outsiders being relocated in. Its a very backwards, early 20th century way of doing business but its how it works in Fort Smith. Baker sells his vision to the public as "preserving small town charm" but in the background he is just trying to satisfy the people who really control Fort Smith. I am not sure if the recession had any impact on this as I moved away right when the recession began.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Baker's primary objective is pleasing and preserving the existing good ole' boy network in Fort Smith no matter what the cost to the town's long-term future. From what I was told when I lived there (this was before the recession), its in the network's best interest that the city remain stagnant. Fort Smith employers pay very low wages for the jobs that are there and if new employers brought jobs into Fort Smith the existing employers would be forced to compete or lose employees. People are also not keen on a bunch of outsiders being relocated in. Its a very backwards, early 20th century way of doing business but its how it works in Fort Smith. Baker sells his vision to the public as "preserving small town charm" but in the background he is just trying to satisfy the people who really control Fort Smith. I am not sure if the recession had any impact on this as I moved away right when the recession began.
Well I've been told that morphine goes good with whiskey.

I don't know why you keep referring to the good ole boy network again and again. Where did you even get that from? I think there probably is some old money that Baker tries to keep happy and people in the country do sometimes refer to each other as ol' boys. Other than that what the heck is The good ole' boy network?

Can you back up what you are saying? Who exactly told you all of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas