Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,085 times

Advertisements

My preference of CV over BVV is primarily because CV is a lot less crowded. It has the feel of laid-back retirement living much more than BVV. BVV has a 4-lane US highway running through it (and right along many of the golf holes), the roads are bad, and its relatively crowded compared to CV.

Other comparisons:
HSV has the best roads
HSV is on a sewer system, BVV and CV are on septic
HSV is gated, BVV and CV are not
HSV is the only one that has stayed un-incorporated (Property Owner Assoc only)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post
My preference of CV over BVV is primarily because CV is a lot less crowded. It has the feel of laid-back retirement living much more than BVV. BVV has a 4-lane US highway running through it (and right along many of the golf holes), the roads are bad, and its relatively crowded compared to CV.

Other comparisons:
HSV has the best roads
HSV is on a sewer system, BVV and CV are on septic
HSV is gated, BVV and CV are not
HSV is the only one that has stayed un-incorporated (Property Owner Assoc only)
Thanks Jeff,

I understand what you are saying. After locating CV it dawned on me, the location wasn't convenient for what we need. We want to be NW AR or NE OK. thanks again. As for the gated community of HSV, having a daughter living in a gated community (which she loves) makes me wonder what the advantage of a gated community of thousnads of people really is. Of course it could simply be snob appeal and I don't mean this as a put down. Our older daughter and SIL are checking out areas to buy land. It has come down to HSV or BV. As for un-incorporated, it would be my guess this may not last much longer.

Again, thanks for your input.

Nita

Old 07-01-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for the gated community of HSV, having a daughter living in a gated community (which she loves) makes me wonder what the advantage of a gated community of thousnads of people really is. Of course it could simply be snob appeal and I don't mean this as a put down. Our older daughter and SIL are checking out areas to buy land. It has come down to HSV or BV. As for un-incorporated, it would be my guess this may not last much longer.

Again, thanks for your input.

Nita
You're welcome.

I understand your point about gating a big area... what's the point of having a gate if everyone is inside the gate? :-) But everyone isn't inside the gate, and it keeps our crime rate very low.

I don't see HSV ever incorporating, there is very little gained and much lost.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
You're welcome.

I understand your point about gating a big area... what's the point of having a gate if everyone is inside the gate? :-) But everyone isn't inside the gate, and it keeps our crime rate very low.

I don't see HSV ever incorporating, there is very little gained and much lost.
I wonder why BV found it necessary to incomporate then? Just cusious. We have a situation here that is similar. We have about 8,000 people living in Rio Communities but practically no business. Three times incorporation has been voted on, lost all three. If we incorporated we would have better police protection among other things, but with our tax base so low can you imagine what would happen to property taxes. Of course the other option is to let our neighboring city annex up. they would love the litte business we have but don't want any part of our community. A river (if you can call it that) separates us and the people on the other side are afraid if they annex us our side would take over the town. As I have said before, the mind set here is very different.

Nita

Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wonder why BV found it necessary to incomporate then? Just cusious. We have a situation here that is similar. We have about 8,000 people living in Rio Communities but practically no business. Three times incorporation has been voted on, lost all three. If we incorporated we would have better police protection among other things, but with our tax base so low can you imagine what would happen to property taxes. Of course the other option is to let our neighboring city annex up. they would love the litte business we have but don't want any part of our community. A river (if you can call it that) separates us and the people on the other side are afraid if they annex us our side would take over the town. As I have said before, the mind set here is very different.

Nita
There was a contingent that was upset with the way the POA was run, there were others that were unhappy with the developer control, and they had big money problems. Perhaps there are other reasons.

Regarding the financial. In AR, incorporated towns get "turn back" funds, which is tax money given to the town. Yes, the rural residents of AR pay taxes to pay for the expenses of the towns. Its not enough that the rural residents go to the towns to shop, and pay local sales tax. Very sad but a reality that we deal with.

My understanding is that the town of BV will get about $1,000,000/year that they didn't get as a POA. The POA still runs the amenties, but the town is now responsible for fire, police, etc.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
There was a contingent that was upset with the way the POA was run, there were others that were unhappy with the developer control, and they had big money problems. Perhaps there are other reasons.

Regarding the financial. In AR, incorporated towns get "turn back" funds, which is tax money given to the town. Yes, the rural residents of AR pay taxes to pay for the expenses of the towns. Its not enough that the rural residents go to the towns to shop, and pay local sales tax. Very sad but a reality that we deal with.

My understanding is that the town of BV will get about $1,000,000/year that they didn't get as a POA. The POA still runs the amenties, but the town is now responsible for fire, police, etc.
Jeff, that is pretty interesting. When we looked at BV (btw, we loved it) we were a bit taken back by the $24 per month POA dues. Not that we mind it, just never lived in a city that assessed everyone each month in this form. I told my hubby, to me, it is just another name for taxes. It certainly isn't the same as a fee you pay when owning a town house or condo. Again, I have no problems, the area is beautiful, I was just surprised.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas