U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,755 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I along with our 2 yr old are planning a move to Arkansas from Nebraska. I've got family scattered all across the state and logistically speaking Hot Springs seems to be THE location. I've visited there in the past (2-3 times) and liked it, but that was from a tourists point of view.

Obviously jobs are important. I'm in architecture and also dabble in photography. My husband is blue collar and can and has done anything with his hands. We're looking for an apartment or rental home (that takes pets!) at first and then hope to buy a 4 bd. rm. home. Any ideas on how much that's gonna cost us in the area and also which parts of town are better/safer?

Also, our child will be starting school within a few years and I'm bound and determined to get my lil one into the best schools in Arkansas. If anyone can shed a little light in this area I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback! Can't wait to be closer to family and away from the WAY TOO COLD winters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM

2,458 posts, read 3,608,886 times
I'm sure Dr. Foosball will respond tonight. He moved to H.S. several months ago and did a lot of research before he did. I'm sure any suggestions he makes can be "taken to the bank". Good luck.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,545,486 times
Don't know where to get a pet-friendly rental; I left my pets in Fort Smith (still waiting to get them down here). When you get down here, the bad areas are pretty obvious. Send your kids to Lake Hamilton or Lakeside - not Hot Springs.

I really don't have time to explain everything (school starts in a week - I'm swamped). Here are some other threads with Hot Springs info:

Moving to Hot Springs AR

the truth about hot springs crime

Moving to Hot Springs or Arkadelphia soon, questions...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,545,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee26 View Post
Also, our child will be starting school within a few years and I'm bound and determined to get my lil one into the best schools in Arkansas. If anyone can shed a little light in this area I'd greatly appreciate it.
To elaborate on the schools thing, the only ranking I could find for Arkansas schools without looking too hard was conducted by the Arkansas Policy Foundation. They use a formula based heavily on the SAT scores. The top ten schools are:

#1 Lake Hamilton
#2 Bentonville
#3 Pottsville
#4 Fayetteville
#5 Conway
#6 Lakeside
#7 Mena
#8 Bryant
#9 Searcy
#10 Scranton

Highlighted are the two local Hot Springs schools - not including Hot Springs, of course.

Link: http://www.arkansaspolicyfoundation....t_rankings.pdf

Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
To elaborate on the schools thing, the only ranking I could find for Arkansas schools without looking too hard was conducted by the Arkansas Policy Foundation. They use a formula based heavily on the SAT scores. The top ten schools are:

#1 Lake Hamilton
#2 Bentonville
#3 Pottsville
#4 Fayetteville
#5 Conway
#6 Lakeside
#7 Mena
#8 Bryant
#9 Searcy
#10 Scranton

Highlighted are the two local Hot Springs schools - not including Hot Springs, of course.

Thank you SO much Dr. Foosball! You've given me a lot of great info/information to read. I appreciate it. (I just realized that I've got an old post on here from a few months back, asking about the same thing, so I'm sorry for the repeat! If I knew where the delete button was, I'd get rid of my duplicate post! Whoops!)

Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 PM

642 posts, read 901,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post

#1 Lake Hamilton
#2 Bentonville
#3 Pottsville
#4 Fayetteville
#5 Conway
#6 Lakeside
#7 Mena
#8 Bryant
#9 Searcy
#10 Scranton

I don't like rankings like that due to the things they really fail to take into account (like area they're in, socioeconomic population demographics served, etc.), but having worked in higher ed recently and looked into high schools in the state pretty in-depth, Lake Hamilton is excellent overall and Lakeside is also certainly one of the top group of schools in the state.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 AM

273 posts, read 578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee26 View Post
Hello all!

My husband and I along with our 2 yr old are planning a move to Arkansas from Nebraska. I've got family scattered all across the state and logistically speaking Hot Springs seems to be THE location. I've visited there in the past (2-3 times) and liked it, but that was from a tourists point of view.

Obviously jobs are important. I'm in architecture and also dabble in photography. My husband is blue collar and can and has done anything with his hands. We're looking for an apartment or rental home (that takes pets!) at first and then hope to buy a 4 bd. rm. home. Any ideas on how much that's gonna cost us in the area and also which parts of town are better/safer?

Thanks for the feedback! Can't wait to be closer to family and away from the WAY TOO COLD winters!

Same here about the winters, I have lived here for six years and have one more Nebraska winter to go through and will be moving to Hot Springs Village in June 2011. Bring on the HEAT!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas