U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 AM

66 posts, read 145,353 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have some questions about a possible relocation to the Harrison area.
I've read some of the previous threads so certain questions have been answered via those threads.

I'm a freelance programmer/web developer so I can do much of my work online and thus employment is not a major factor. But I'm wondering if this would be the right move for me.

I live in Upstate NY and while I had moved out to "the country" years ago, unfortunately the city has started to move to what was once a nice rural town. I generally do not fit the profile of New York State (at least areas where cities are creeping in). I enjoy small towns, rural areas, country music, and lean conservative on political and social issues. Ultimately, I also seem to like southern and midwestern culture over northeastern culture.

I've visited most of the states in this great country. I seem to particularly enjoy the Arkansas/Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma area. I have a friend in Kansas and have visited there multiple times. I've been to Branson a few times and absolutely love it. I also love the Ozarks, though I feel like things are more scenic over the Arkansas line. Being near mountain areas in NY, I'd want to be within reasonable distance of mountain areas if I relocated. I briefly visited Harrison in May and in talking to some of the people, it just seemed like the kind of area my own town used to be before things became built up. I want to be able to get to Branson occasionally but not actually live in Branson.

I've basically visited the area in the Spring and Fall. Is the summer humidity extreme in this area? That's not really something that's a deal breaker as the humidity up here has been miserable during parts of the summer and I've survived. I've heard about chiggers though thankfully never experienced them. Is this a huge problem for people living there?

Is there much frequency of snowstorms in the winter? Obviously, I'm used to them where I'm from.

I'm in my early to mid 30s and never married. In checking out certain other states, I have heard people get married in the early 20s. Am I out of luck in this region? Basically, where I'm from, my interests/leanings are not exactly compatible with the few unmarried women around here.

These are a few questions offhand. I may have others and if so will post a reply with them. Thanks very much for any insight anyone can give. I appreciate it.

Bill
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 AM

42,724 posts, read 28,325,154 times
Summer humidity can be extreme. And at other times, summers can be extremely dry and arid. Generally the heat starts building in late July and continues into mid-September. It tends to get dryer as it goes on, but there are exceptions. 2009 August was quite rainy, but that's unusual.

Chiggers are a terrible nuisance, but it really seems that the longer you live here, the less they bother you. Spray with OFF before going into the woods. If you are itchy after visiting the woods, wipe the area down immediately with rubbing alcohol. Some people who are especially attractive to chiggers and ticks take sulphur pills. Sulphur seems to repel them.

Snowstorms happen every once in a while. This past winter we had an exceptionally heavy snowfall. Snow is really not problematic. Ice is. Most winter storms are followed by above-freezing weather which causes snow or ice to melt quickly. However the ice can cause a lot of damage before it melts away. There is little that can be done to mitigate the ice.

As for your love life. People get married young. That means they get divorced young. There are plenty of singles in their 30's, or even older.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,913,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7719 View Post
Hi, I have some questions about a possible relocation to the Harrison area.
I've read some of the previous threads so certain questions have been answered via those threads.

I'm a freelance programmer/web developer so I can do much of my work online and thus employment is not a major factor. But I'm wondering if this would be the right move for me.

I live in Upstate NY and while I had moved out to "the country" years ago, unfortunately the city has started to move to what was once a nice rural town. I generally do not fit the profile of New York State (at least areas where cities are creeping in). I enjoy small towns, rural areas, country music, and lean conservative on political and social issues. Ultimately, I also seem to like southern and midwestern culture over northeastern culture.

I've visited most of the states in this great country. I seem to particularly enjoy the Arkansas/Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma area. I have a friend in Kansas and have visited there multiple times. I've been to Branson a few times and absolutely love it. I also love the Ozarks, though I feel like things are more scenic over the Arkansas line. Being near mountain areas in NY, I'd want to be within reasonable distance of mountain areas if I relocated. I briefly visited Harrison in May and in talking to some of the people, it just seemed like the kind of area my own town used to be before things became built up. I want to be able to get to Branson occasionally but not actually live in Branson.

I've basically visited the area in the Spring and Fall. Is the summer humidity extreme in this area? That's not really something that's a deal breaker as the humidity up here has been miserable during parts of the summer and I've survived. I've heard about chiggers though thankfully never experienced them. Is this a huge problem for people living there?

Is there much frequency of snowstorms in the winter? Obviously, I'm used to them where I'm from.

I'm in my early to mid 30s and never married. In checking out certain other states, I have heard people get married in the early 20s. Am I out of luck in this region? Basically, where I'm from, my interests/leanings are not exactly compatible with the few unmarried women around here.

These are a few questions offhand. I may have others and if so will post a reply with them. Thanks very much for any insight anyone can give. I appreciate it.

Bill
I think your attitude gets you on the "A" list, Bill.

It appears to me that you're a prime candidate for porch-sittin' & jack-jawing, which are durned near olympic events down here.

DC gave you straight info. I own a timber farm, and can't keep myself out of the woods/brush for more than a day at a time, so I cap sulphur and take it spring through fall, and it really deters the buggers.

We get wild blackberry patches, practically overnight, and although they are tasty, they are extremely invasive and require a process known as 'bush hogging', which is a mowing deck on steroids pulled by a tractor to chop everything up.

Chiggers absolutely love blackberry patches, so I add a deet spray when waging war.

I'm not that far from Harrison. It runs just a little cooler there than it does for me, and I haven't dried up and blown away.

Yet.

If you want to try the area again before you leap, avoid summer, because of heat and tourists. If it gets abnormally hot & humid, as it did this summer, nobody ventures out that much.

Not much porch-sittin' either, cause you'll burn yer arm on the warshin' machine.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 PM

66 posts, read 145,353 times
Thanks DC and RogMar for the information. I appreciate it. I'm considering a visit in a few weeks. Are there other places around Harrison I ought to see to get a good feel for the area? Also, since I'm interested in history, what are people's feelings about the Medeival Fortress? I remember seeing billboards for it last time I visited Branson.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,913,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7719 View Post
Thanks DC and RogMar for the information. I appreciate it. I'm considering a visit in a few weeks. Are there other places around Harrison I ought to see to get a good feel for the area? Also, since I'm interested in history, what are people's feelings about the Medeival Fortress? I remember seeing billboards for it last time I visited Branson.
There's more history around than you can digest, though I'm thinking the Medeial Fortress is not at the top of the list.

Arkansas Slim can give you a list as long as your arm to check out for history.

I'd suggest just generally checking out the area, chew the fat with some locals, stop in out-of-the-way places and be friendly.

I'll tell you this, before someone else brings it up, and...they will.

There has been a group of boys that like to rally under the "Klan" name over in Zinc, near Harrison. They've made enough noise in the past to get attention, but that's about it. They haven't done squat for years, and I'm sure if you want to inquire to the locals, when they get done laughing they'll tell you what they know.

However, on a regular basis somebody pops up here and advises that if you are within 50 miles of Harrison, somebody will burn a cross in your yard.

Every single state has their "racist" groups, of all makes and kinds, and I guess some people just feel left out to fantasize about Harrison.

Some folks use a history book as a learning tool, some try to use it as a weapon, ya know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas