U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
 
4 posts, read 20,905 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

There seems to be a large number of knowledgeable folks on this board. Hopefully a few of you won't mind another "Which area is better?" question.

We like Arkansas a lot. The thing is, we only really know the state as tourists, and we're aware that we might be missing some important points about life there. So I'm wondering, if you were given a choice of living in either the Harrison - Newton County - "Dogpatch" areas, or the Mena - Cove - Hatfield areas, which would a native choose, and why?

Here are a few background points for us - we are early 40's, and work from home. We're both northerners by birth, southerners by choice
We are moderately conservative in outlook - pro labor conservative - what used to be called "Conservative Democrats". We like rural, secluded living on acreage, not city "postage stamp" lots. We're happy anywhere so long as we can get DSL internet, and the water doesn't taste too bad once it's filtered. We don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue for us.

We like to garden, and areas that are good for fruit and nut trees, tomatos, and old-fashioned roses would be perfect. We don't mind a light snow now and then, but after winters up north, I can't imagine that's likely to be a problem.

We'd like to live in an area that has handymen, plumbers, and carpenters who at least have a basic working knowledge of English. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but we are living in Arizona now, and that is a big problem.

Finally, we do like to have a decent - sized city within a 3 or 4 hour drive, if that is possible.

We'd appreciate any and all opinions. I'm not certain we will move, but Arizona certainly is wearing out its welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannoniris View Post
There seems to be a large number of knowledgeable folks on this board. Hopefully a few of you won't mind another "Which area is better?" question.

We like Arkansas a lot. The thing is, we only really know the state as tourists, and we're aware that we might be missing some important points about life there. So I'm wondering, if you were given a choice of living in either the Harrison - Newton County - "Dogpatch" areas, or the Mena - Cove - Hatfield areas, which would a native choose, and why?

Here are a few background points for us - we are early 40's, and work from home. We're both northerners by birth, southerners by choice
We are moderately conservative in outlook - pro labor conservative - what used to be called "Conservative Democrats". We like rural, secluded living on acreage, not city "postage stamp" lots. We're happy anywhere so long as we can get DSL internet, and the water doesn't taste too bad once it's filtered. We don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue for us.

We like to garden, and areas that are good for fruit and nut trees, tomatos, and old-fashioned roses would be perfect. We don't mind a light snow now and then, but after winters up north, I can't imagine that's likely to be a problem.

We'd like to live in an area that has handymen, plumbers, and carpenters who at least have a basic working knowledge of English. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but we are living in Arizona now, and that is a big problem.

Finally, we do like to have a decent - sized city within a 3 or 4 hour drive, if that is possible.

We'd appreciate any and all opinions. I'm not certain we will move, but Arizona certainly is wearing out its welcome
wow, I dan't answer about DSL, we have it here in NWA, but that isn't a place you are considering. Harrison might be a good fit, I don't know anything about Dogpatch. Mena is also popular and because it is south you might have better luck with fruit trees. I will be anxious to see what others have to say.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Greers Ferry lake area
1 posts, read 2,335 times
Reputation: 15
In 1993 I retired and moved to Edgemont AR from CA, it was the smartest thing we ever did.
Edgemont is located on the North shore of Greers Ferry Lake. This area is known for excellent fishing and hunting with very low crime. The drawback is we have no major shopping in this area.
We have Heber Springs abt 25 miles South with a hospital & Wal-Mart, or drive 50 South with many large stores at Conway where we do our mega-shopping
Our area has only 1,500 population for the three towns, total, 25k in the whole county.
I think it fits your criteria nicely, low crime, people speak English, light snow, small farms, plenty of garden area, and broadband internet. And did I say you can find very reasonable housing, which means low taxes & low living expenses.
It sure fit our criteria.
KenC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
678 posts, read 1,445,309 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannoniris View Post
There seems to be a large number of knowledgeable folks on this board. Hopefully a few of you won't mind another "Which area is better?" question.

We like Arkansas a lot. The thing is, we only really know the state as tourists, and we're aware that we might be missing some important points about life there. So I'm wondering, if you were given a choice of living in either the Harrison - Newton County - "Dogpatch" areas, or the Mena - Cove - Hatfield areas, which would a native choose, and why?

Here are a few background points for us - we are early 40's, and work from home. We're both northerners by birth, southerners by choice
We are moderately conservative in outlook - pro labor conservative - what used to be called "Conservative Democrats". We like rural, secluded living on acreage, not city "postage stamp" lots. We're happy anywhere so long as we can get DSL internet, and the water doesn't taste too bad once it's filtered. We don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue for us.

We like to garden, and areas that are good for fruit and nut trees, tomatos, and old-fashioned roses would be perfect. We don't mind a light snow now and then, but after winters up north, I can't imagine that's likely to be a problem.

We'd like to live in an area that has handymen, plumbers, and carpenters who at least have a basic working knowledge of English. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but we are living in Arizona now, and that is a big problem.

Finally, we do like to have a decent - sized city within a 3 or 4 hour drive, if that is possible.

We'd appreciate any and all opinions. I'm not certain we will move, but Arizona certainly is wearing out its welcome
I'll put in a plug for the Mountain Home area (similar to Harrison size, but a big outdoors area with lakes, rivers, and such, and lots of small towns around it that you might really enjoy), El Dorado (completely different part of the state, but beautiful small city with low land prices and just a nice overall area), Heber Springs (smaller, but beautiful), and Russelville.

As for the two areas you mention- I used to have family that lived in the Harrison area (closer to Jasper, very close to Dogpatch), and it's a very pretty area but wasn't right for them (or myself, I've been there enough to know it just didn't fit what I was looking for). Home/land prices are reasonable and Harrison has most things you'd need on a daily basis (like Mtn. Home, El Dorado, etc. it is an anchor for a larger area than itself so it tends to have more than most cities that size). DSL is the one thing I'm not as sure about- depending on the age of the infrastructure in more rural parts of Boone (or especially Newton) county, you may not be able to get DSL, but there should be cable internet/tv pretty much everywhere I would think. Closer to town there should be a few options.
As for the Mena area, I'm not as familiar with it as I've only ever been there for work. It's a smaller area with a bit more limited shopping/dining, etc. but it is also a very pretty part of the state to live in. Accessibility isn't ideal, but it's not too bad. It is probably easier to get to and from (road quality wise) than most of Newton County, but it's quite a ways from most things of any size. The other areas I mentioned all have a nice charm about them with rural areas very nearby that might interest you and are a quicker trip to places like Little Rock, Springfield, MO, or in El Dorado's case, it's about split between Little Rock and Shreveport, LA.
Good luck with your search, and if you do start considering a place to move to, let us know if we can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I'll put in a plug for the Mountain Home area (similar to Harrison size, but a big outdoors area with lakes, rivers, and such, and lots of small towns around it that you might really enjoy), El Dorado (completely different part of the state, but beautiful small city with low land prices and just a nice overall area), Heber Springs (smaller, but beautiful), and Russelville.

As for the two areas you mention- I used to have family that lived in the Harrison area (closer to Jasper, very close to Dogpatch), and it's a very pretty area but wasn't right for them (or myself, I've been there enough to know it just didn't fit what I was looking for). Home/land prices are reasonable and Harrison has most things you'd need on a daily basis (like Mtn. Home, El Dorado, etc. it is an anchor for a larger area than itself so it tends to have more than most cities that size). DSL is the one thing I'm not as sure about- depending on the age of the infrastructure in more rural parts of Boone (or especially Newton) county, you may not be able to get DSL, but there should be cable internet/tv pretty much everywhere I would think. Closer to town there should be a few options.
As for the Mena area, I'm not as familiar with it as I've only ever been there for work. It's a smaller area with a bit more limited shopping/dining, etc. but it is also a very pretty part of the state to live in. Accessibility isn't ideal, but it's not too bad. It is probably easier to get to and from (road quality wise) than most of Newton County, but it's quite a ways from most things of any size. The other areas I mentioned all have a nice charm about them with rural areas very nearby that might interest you and are a quicker trip to places like Little Rock, Springfield, MO, or in El Dorado's case, it's about split between Little Rock and Shreveport, LA.
Good luck with your search, and if you do start considering a place to move to, let us know if we can help!
I was going to say Mountain Home as well, but because he didn't mention it as a choice I decided not to bring it up. I think, considering what he says he wants, Mountain Home would be a perfect fit.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
 
165 posts, read 455,285 times
Reputation: 83
Mountain Home is FAR superior to Harrison. It's prettier, and people tend to be a little more tolerant, sort of the same kind of conservative you're talking about.

My parents live in Cotter and I think they have DSL...and the water is pretty good too (although I live in Memphis now so I'm spoiled). I haven't ever run into the "not speaking english" problem in MH, although the further west in the state you go (Northwest, particularly Fayetteville/Springdale/Bentonville, etc) that becomes a major issue. I've heard people speaking Spanish/Chinese/Whatever in MH, but it's never been a big thing.

Good luck! As a teenager MH was boring, but it's grown a little and I've gotten older...I really miss it now in some ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 15,974,134 times
Reputation: 10024
I think if the OP is looking for a better, slightly longer growing season and some seclusion, the Mena area is a pretty good fit. It is an outdoors type persons paradise! My daughter has great luck with her gardens. Even growing some produce year round. I have found the younger population there to be alot more educated and talented than I was led to believe. Stereotypes are usually just that. Good luck and I hope you find Arkansas to be all you want it to be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think if the OP is looking for a better, slightly longer growing season and some seclusion, the Mena area is a pretty good fit. It is an outdoors type persons paradise! My daughter has great luck with her gardens. Even growing some produce year round. I have found the younger population there to be alot more educated and talented than I was led to believe. Stereotypes are usually just that. Good luck and I hope you find Arkansas to be all you want it to be!
good points, good post.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,360,937 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I'll put in a plug for the Mountain Home area
I'll stand by Mountain Home also.

I spend a little time over there now and again, and it has enough room and diversity in living conditions that there's no problem spending as much or as little to find what you want.

Beautiful area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere Arkansas
3,326 posts, read 2,616,537 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannoniris View Post
There seems to be a large number of knowledgeable folks on this board. Hopefully a few of you won't mind another "Which area is better?" question.

We like Arkansas a lot. The thing is, we only really know the state as tourists, and we're aware that we might be missing some important points about life there. So I'm wondering, if you were given a choice of living in either the Harrison - Newton County - "Dogpatch" areas, or the Mena - Cove - Hatfield areas, which would a native choose, and why?

Here are a few background points for us - we are early 40's, and work from home. We're both northerners by birth, southerners by choice
We are moderately conservative in outlook - pro labor conservative - what used to be called "Conservative Democrats". We like rural, secluded living on acreage, not city "postage stamp" lots. We're happy anywhere so long as we can get DSL internet, and the water doesn't taste too bad once it's filtered. We don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue for us.

We like to garden, and areas that are good for fruit and nut trees, tomatos, and old-fashioned roses would be perfect. We don't mind a light snow now and then, but after winters up north, I can't imagine that's likely to be a problem.

We'd like to live in an area that has handymen, plumbers, and carpenters who at least have a basic working knowledge of English. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but we are living in Arizona now, and that is a big problem.

Finally, we do like to have a decent - sized city within a 3 or 4 hour drive, if that is possible.

We'd appreciate any and all opinions. I'm not certain we will move, but Arizona certainly is wearing out its welcome
Fact is any party of arkansas north of little rock and west of the delta area and just about all of the quachita mountain area would suite you right down to the ground. Whereabouts are ya'll living in arizona? I spent some time there in my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top