Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVer72529 View Post
I now do not believe they are fighting against it purely on religious, moral, or any anti-drinking reasons. It doesn't add up.
Ooooookay, lets back up from the situation for a minuto.

Let's say I have a business that I'm making well over 1/2 million a year off of you with.

Johnnie Bluenose says, "Hey.....why should I drive *all* the way up there, and pay you, when I could be doing it right here, and not have to Tivo "American idol"?"

So, I find one fanatic, who also owns a business, of a diffirent nature, and I say, "Tell ya what, hoss, I know you don't like the idea of a bar going in next door to your business or your mother-in-law's trailer, so here's what I'll do......I'll start doing business with you, as will a few cohorts, and I'll bankroll a legal offensive to keep the Budweiser bottles outta the rose garden".

Now *that's* economic sdtimulas in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM

The figures are in.....

Expenses for the last war.

SERT (the pro-wet group) $10,549

Committee to Oppose (anti-wet group) $56,018

Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 PM

176 posts, read 419,916 times
20 yrs ago the same questions were being asked in Benton County and it looks like not much has changed except there was less than 10 private clubs back then and I was a resident manager at one.
With the numbers now I see no reason to keep it dry.I did have a hell of a good time at every club in Benton county back then.There was some great places.
If you wanted to see a fight you went to the Candle Lite
If you wanted to hangout with the higher class you went to Kenny's
And if you just wanted to dance and have a great time you went to The Cave
The rest you just went to for a quiet night of drinks and Dinner.
I pretty much knew everybody in all of them.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Interesting discussion and I think each has a good point. Polk County went dry when they built Camp Chaffee near Ft. Smith and has been dry since that time. The locals didn't like for the G.I.s to come over, getting drunk, and mess with our fair maidens. Bootleggers got so thick that the joke (more serious than a joke) in Mena was that the bootleggers had to wear name tags to keep from trying to sell to each other. I could write a book but was afraid to because it could lead to me having a fatal accident. A couple weeks ago I read the obituary of one of the main guys and he was almost 90 years old. Oh my, was it that long ago?!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Izard county is dry. CAN I BRING LIQUOR INTO THE COUNTY FOR MY OWN USE? darn caps!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM

54 posts, read 208,915 times
Dry counties are just a facade. I live in Craighead county; any restaurant that wants to operates as a 'private club'. Hardly a hindrance, at most of them this is nothing more than writing your name on a list as you enter. No fees or anything. You can drive 15 or 20 minutes and buy all the liquor you want to bring home. It's naive for people to think they're somehow keeping alcohol out of the county, all they're doing is costing themselves tax money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Izard county is dry. CAN I BRING LIQUOR INTO THE COUNTY FOR MY OWN USE? darn caps!
Yes.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yes you can.

All you want.

Give me a call if you have problems with excess inventory.

Also, I don't know what part of Izard you'll be in, but you can go to the Carriage Room in Horseshoe Bend, the Copper Feather in Cherokee Village, or the Tally Ho in Melbourne to have a drink, to mention a few.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,512 times
Dry counties are just a facade

Old 09-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjing View Post
Dry counties are just a facade
Uh....yeah...that's what he said.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
How much beer/liquor can a person legally buy in a wet county and bring home to their dry county? Are the rules different in bringing Liqour from Missouri into a dry Arkansas county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas