U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 AM
 
570 posts, read 1,364,969 times
Reputation: 494

Advertisements

I'd say, if you don't like it, go back to California, it sounds like you belong there....

what you described is a bad generalization of the whole state... keep your assessments to yourself..

and don't get me started on California, I lived there for 30 years......

 
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I'd say, if you don't like it, go back to California, it sounds like you belong there....

what you described is a bad generalization of the whole state... keep your assessments to yourself..

and don't get me started on California, I lived there for 30 years......
Boy do I agree: I was born in Southern Calif, spent part of my college days in Colorado, the rest Calif, married there, all 3 kids born there:we lived in So Ca, the Bay area, Eureka area and Sacramento. I think I know the state backwards and forwards.

Generalizing about anyplace is not the best thing to do.

Nita
 
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,611,059 times
Reputation: 4457
I'm sure California has its problems. Many people leave to get away from the rat race that is life out there. They move to AR to live the simple life. This is good for SOME people. Also, anybody who thinks life should be solely about hunting, fishing, and going to church on sunday....AR is great for.

However, for the young educated professional with the drive to succeed, I do not think there is any WORSE place to be than Arkansas, with the possible exception of NW Arkansas (Fayetteville northward). At my college, all people do is go on about how trashed they got the night before and gloat about their glorious high school football days. There are few jobs for educated people, most people graduate high school and leave for college (UAFS is known as a "college of last resort" that few want to attend), then go on to work in NW Arkansas, Dallas, Tulsa, Houston, etc. People who stay in Ft. Smith are the uneducated, many of them high school dropouts, who get blue-collar factory jobs.

And anybody who wants to say UAFS doesn't suck, many high schools in other parts of the US have higher academic standards than this "college". The only people who go there are people who are too dumb or lack the drive to go anywhere else, or people who have no other choice because of finances, like me. I am worried about my ability to succeed in the real world beyond Ft. Smith because of the low-standard education I have recieved at UAFS.

The only jobs in this town for educated people are in the medical field, and that is pretty secure because of the aging population. Yet we have a city government actively trying to keep the jobs and entertainment away to preserve the "small town quaintness" of Ft. Smith.

God get me out of here!
 
Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm sure California has its problems. Many people leave to get away from the rat race that is life out there. They move to AR to live the simple life. This is good for SOME people. Also, anybody who thinks life should be solely about hunting, fishing, and going to church on sunday....AR is great for.

However, for the young educated professional with the drive to succeed, I do not think there is any WORSE place to be than Arkansas, with the possible exception of NW Arkansas (Fayetteville northward). At my college, all people do is go on about how trashed they got the night before and gloat about their glorious high school football days. There are few jobs for educated people, most people graduate high school and leave for college (UAFS is known as a "college of last resort" that few want to attend), then go on to work in NW Arkansas, Dallas, Tulsa, Houston, etc. People who stay in Ft. Smith are the uneducated, many of them high school dropouts, who get blue-collar factory jobs.

And anybody who wants to say UAFS doesn't suck, many high schools in other parts of the US have higher academic standards than this "college". The only people who go there are people who are too dumb or lack the drive to go anywhere else, or people who have no other choice because of finances, like me. I am worried about my ability to succeed in the real world beyond Ft. Smith because of the low-standard education I have recieved at UAFS.

The only jobs in this town for educated people are in the medical field, and that is pretty secure because of the aging population. Yet we have a city government actively trying to keep the jobs and entertainment away to preserve the "small town quaintness" of Ft. Smith.

God get me out of here!
I understand what you are saying about FT Smith, we didn't like it from what we say. That is why we decided not to consider buying a home there, but when you talk about what young people, in college, out working or inbetween do on weekends: guess what?> That is the real world and that is college life, especially for the very young kids. I was a college kid at one time, I have raised kids that were college kids and have grandkids.

As for Ar, have you checked the stats on other states and opportunities for your college educated kids? WV, Miss, NM, Montana, etc. Any small state with a low population isn't going to offer a whole lot of jobs for the educated. I think many of you, those under 30 particularly see the grass as greener on the other side.

Again, the advantages of big city living or moving to a higher populated state may outweigh the negatives for some. For others, going back to the simple life is worth the sacrifices. There is a reason why many are leaving places like Ca and choosing middle America.

And now off to church I go, yes, I am one of those you refer to as going to church on Sundays.

Nita
 
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
 
154 posts, read 595,911 times
Reputation: 52
What is ironic about this thread is that the forum members defending Arkansas either do not live here or are new / future residents who probably have never stepped foot in most parts of the state.

As a long time citizen of the state who currently lives in northwest Arkansas, I can tell you that Hillbilly makes some valid points. Arkansas ranks amongst the worst when it comes to drugs, education, crime (Little Rock ranks as one of the worst cities in murders), teenage births, divorce, and poverty.

Northwest Arkansas is unlike the rest of Arkansas - it looks different, feels different, moves at a faster pace, and people act different.
 
Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
What is ironic about this thread is that the forum members defending Arkansas either do not live here or are new / future residents who probably have never stepped foot in most parts of the state.

As a long time citizen of the state who currently lives in northwest Arkansas, I can tell you that Hillbilly makes some valid points. Arkansas ranks amongst the worst when it comes to drugs, education, crime (Little Rock ranks as one of the worst cities in murders), teenage births, divorce, and poverty.

Northwest Arkansas is unlike the rest of Arkansas - it looks different, feels different, moves at a faster pace, and people act different.
I am still saying, what you say about Arkansas can be said about any smaller state. For me, no I don't live there, but my granddaughter does, we have friends who do and granddaughters boyfriend as well as most of her college friends are from AR. They are young (early 20s) most educated or about to be educated and a mixture of conservative and liberal, with more being conservative. Not all have made their homes in Fayetteville, they come from all over the state.

you mention Little Rock, let's talk about Memphis which isn't in AR. What about the crime rate, poverty, horrilbe schools etc. The point here: the problems which exist in AR are everywhere. Many of your complaints are a mirror of the county we are now living in. Small town government (this exists everywhere) Poverty is rapid as well as teen age births (they usually go together) This doesn't mean we don't have people in middle and upper class brackets, it doesn't mean all our neighborhoods are run down or we don't have $500,000 houses. We have golf courses just like everywhere, bridge groups, yes, lots of church groups, cultural activities not too far away, etc.
We have the same organizations you see throughout the country, moms and dads both work to make ends meet (if there is a dad in the family) many jobs are low paying, just like AR, OK, Miss, WV, Montana and so forth.

BEchris talks about the college and how bad it is, he/she said they have no choice but to attend school there because of finances. If they are so superior to other students why not a scholarship to another university? Sorry I don't buy that one either. Believe it or not, after graduation having a degree will be the important thing, not the school you attended unless you are trying to compete with Stanford, Harvard, or MIT graduates. If your degre is in business most companies will look at the overall picture. What you do with your career after that has more to do with your skills and attidude than where you got your education.

Take it from someone who has been there, done that and watched kids and grandkids do the same.

Again, for those of you who think AR is so bad, it beats me why you are still living there? Move to Calif, Or, New England or where ever. How bout Texas or is that below you as well?
 
Old 07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
 
4 posts, read 22,850 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am still saying, what you say about Arkansas can be said about any smaller state. For me, no I don't live there, but my granddaughter does, we have friends who do and granddaughters boyfriend as well as most of her college friends are from AR. They are young (early 20s) most educated or about to be educated and a mixture of conservative and liberal, with more being conservative. Not all have made their homes in Fayetteville, they come from all over the state.

you mention Little Rock, let's talk about Memphis which isn't in AR. What about the crime rate, poverty, horrilbe schools etc. The point here: the problems which exist in AR are everywhere. Many of your complaints are a mirror of the county we are now living in. Small town government (this exists everywhere) Poverty is rapid as well as teen age births (they usually go together) This doesn't mean we don't have people in middle and upper class brackets, it doesn't mean all our neighborhoods are run down or we don't have $500,000 houses. We have golf courses just like everywhere, bridge groups, yes, lots of church groups, cultural activities not too far away, etc.
We have the same organizations you see throughout the country, moms and dads both work to make ends meet (if there is a dad in the family) many jobs are low paying, just like AR, OK, Miss, WV, Montana and so forth.

BEchris talks about the college and how bad it is, he/she said they have no choice but to attend school there because of finances. If they are so superior to other students why not a scholarship to another university? Sorry I don't buy that one either. Believe it or not, after graduation having a degree will be the important thing, not the school you attended unless you are trying to compete with Stanford, Harvard, or MIT graduates. If your degre is in business most companies will look at the overall picture. What you do with your career after that has more to do with your skills and attidude than where you got your education.

Take it from someone who has been there, done that and watched kids and grandkids do the same.

Again, for those of you who think AR is so bad, it beats me why you are still living there? Move to Calif, Or, New England or where ever. How bout Texas or is that below you as well?

If everywhere is all the same then why are you moving all over the country? The people are simply saying what they feel about thier area. I dont see any reason to be bringing in other areas. You dont like that the OP has negative things to say about AR , well how do you think you are making some feel from the places you are being negative about? Do you really think you know more than the folks that live in AR every day because you have family and friends there? Alot, not all, of what the OP says is the truth. Plain and simple
 
Old 07-08-2007, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoILikeJello View Post
If everywhere is all the same then why are you moving all over the country? The people are simply saying what they feel about thier area. I dont see any reason to be bringing in other areas. You dont like that the OP has negative things to say about AR , well how do you think you are making some feel from the places you are being negative about? Do you really think you know more than the folks that live in AR every day because you have family and friends there? Alot, not all, of what the OP says is the truth. Plain and simple
We could all debate this forever and not agree. I am pointing out but obviously it is going un-noticed by some, the problems in AR are everywhere. Why am I moving? For your infomation, and it isn't any of your business, we want to be closer to our family. That, you certainly can understand. I would love to know what you mean by moving all over the country. I was born and raised in So. Calif. When I got married my husband, just out of college worked for a major newspaper, eventually going into Public Relations for a untility company. We were transferred all over the state. While in our 30s he was offered a chance to be part of the, then governors staff and accepted, eventually we moved to Wash DC as part of the administration. Would you like more details? I can assure you we never moved because we weren't happy in an area. again, unless you have lived in some of the smaller states it is hard to realize most are very much alike and we make our own lives. people are people everywhere, some good, some bad, mostly good I may add.

I think this debate has no end, so, for me, I will say no more.

Nita
 
Old 07-08-2007, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Cherokee Village, AR.
21 posts, read 75,670 times
Reputation: 28
Default Education here is improving, not as bad as some think

United States School Rankings K-12

20062007 rank State 20042005 rank
1. Vermont 3.
2. Massachusetts 1.
3. Connecticut 2.
4. New Jersey 4.
5. Maine 11.
6. Virginia 12.
7. Montana 10.
8. Wisconsin 5.
9. Iowa 8.
10. Pennsylvania 9.
11. Nebraska 13.
12. New Hampshire 14.
13. Minnesota 7.
14. Rhode Island 23.
15. Kansas 15.
16. New York 6.
17. South Dakota 22.
18. Maryland 18.
19. Wyoming 16.
20. Idaho 29.
21. North Dakota 19.
22. Missouri 26.
23. North Carolina 25.
24. Indiana 17.
25. Texas 33.
26. South Carolina 32.
27. Colorado 21.
28. Delaware 27.
29. Florida 39.
30. Tennessee 41.
31. Kentucky 37.
32. Arkansas 36.
33. Washington 30.
34. Ohio 20.
35. Illinois 24.
36. Oklahoma 40.
37. West Virginia 33.
38. Utah 28.
39. Michigan 31.
40. Oregon 35.
41. Georgia 38.
42. Hawaii 42.
43. New Mexico 50.
44. Louisiana 46.
45. Alabama 44.
46. Alaska 45.
47. California 43.
48. Mississippi 47.
49. Nevada 49.
50. Arizona 48.
 
Old 07-08-2007, 06:20 PM
 
155 posts, read 577,537 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm sure California has its problems. Many people leave to get away from the rat race that is life out there. They move to AR to live the simple life. This is good for SOME people. Also, anybody who thinks life should be solely about hunting, fishing, and going to church on sunday....AR is great for.

However, for the young educated professional with the drive to succeed, I do not think there is any WORSE place to be than Arkansas, with the possible exception of NW Arkansas (Fayetteville northward). At my college, all people do is go on about how trashed they got the night before and gloat about their glorious high school football days. There are few jobs for educated people, most people graduate high school and leave for college (UAFS is known as a "college of last resort" that few want to attend), then go on to work in NW Arkansas, Dallas, Tulsa, Houston, etc. People who stay in Ft. Smith are the uneducated, many of them high school dropouts, who get blue-collar factory jobs.

And anybody who wants to say UAFS doesn't suck, many high schools in other parts of the US have higher academic standards than this "college". The only people who go there are people who are too dumb or lack the drive to go anywhere else, or people who have no other choice because of finances, like me. I am worried about my ability to succeed in the real world beyond Ft. Smith because of the low-standard education I have recieved at UAFS.

The only jobs in this town for educated people are in the medical field, and that is pretty secure because of the aging population. Yet we have a city government actively trying to keep the jobs and entertainment away to preserve the "small town quaintness" of Ft. Smith.

God get me out of here!

Sounds like its time to move for you. You sound like a whiney little baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top