U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM

69,478 posts, read 79,700,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You're right about that. Like i said, I apologize for badmouthing UAFS, it has come a long way in the short time since it has been a 2-year school, and it still has a long way to go. If they wanted to improve it, the thing to do would be to hire full time college professors instead of taking the cheap way out and hiring part time out of Fort Smith public schools. As it stands UAFS and UA in Fayetteville are two completely different ballgames. UAFS is more on par with NWACC.
And things will change as years go by. We have a 2 year college in our county that is nothing more: a basic community college with things like a 2 year nursing program etc. However it is connected with the University of NM and considered the UNM, Valencia county campus. Every year they add more AA majors, I would guess in 5 years or so it will actually be a 4 year school but still without full professors. 20 years from now, who knows.

As years go by UAFS will change and as years go by you will change as well. You may not be thrilled with what you consider your only choice for futhering you education< I do feel you did have a choice if you had been wiling to make the sacrafice. That being said, you have decided to continue with your education, that is never a bad decision. Hang in there, make top grades, graduate with honors or as close as you can and you may be surprised at what comes your way. You might even miss AR when you move away. Of course not a first, but someday.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 AM

4 posts, read 23,304 times
Wink For the Spence & Kim crowd....

Only Boulder got the point, and tempered an analysis indicative of intelligence. I happened upon this site by accident while looking up some data and laughed my head off at rosy picture's of the AR river valley regions quality of life. Boulder's right, few writer's responding even live here. Nita is naive at best (sorry) and Spence and Kim's diatribe isn't about AR at all, it's generic middle of road Americana and also riddled with an emotional and anger bent repsonse that is indicative of the stresses of society. Left coaster? Can you not read. I see that you weren't born here, nor live here now. I WAS born here, raised here, held every job you mentioned while growing up here in the Ozark mtns, know more about the cultivation of various culitvars of okra than you could possilby imagine, and clearly understand more about Ozark culture than you've managed to so far. This is MY countryside north of the AR river to the headwaters of the White and Buffalo. I have walked thru it in places most locals don't even know exist. I did not do this while taking potshots at the wildlife with high powered weaponry and calling it hunting. And catfish, if you call what's available in the market here as catfish, you're not a southerner, you're an emulator. All the local native species of fish now contain unhealthy levels of mercury (we're downwind from the massive coal fired power plants of OK), and their water's are green from excessive nutrient (N, P, K ) from billions of pounds of poultry waste being applied to pasture. And Sam Walton, give me a break....If you honor money he can be your hero, the truth - He was successful at cultivating a cancerous form of capitalism that has decimated small town America. His legacy employs 1.2 million, and profits by outsourcing cheap good production and pressuring it's suppliers to produce offshore (China), while displacing 10 or 100's of thousands of OUR American workers. While you're out in the road popping one open, and I'm betting I've done that a lot more than "y'all", did you bother to bring your cans back with you? Most here don't.

For decade's in the Stanford University community where I lived and worked I passionately defended everything about AR and my upbringing here. I admit I lost touch with the reality of the culture during decades when my friends and I refered to the south central US as fly over states. I watched as thousands of 20-something mediocre midwestern 4 to 5 yr degree types flooded the bay area in the 90's, and us old timers from silicon valley watched as these kids blew billions in investment dollars building fancy office space, sat around behind high powered work stations and imagined they had a product, someone interested in buying it, and an infrastructure to deliver it. The dot com wonders mostly ended up working as coffee barista's by late 2000.

I returned here for personal reasons and to develop a sustainable agriculture farm. It did not take these past 3 years to assess and condense the "scathing" opinion I put out to shine the light on the nonense I was reading about here. I LOVE the countryside of the Ozark escarpment. Spence & Kim do you even know what that is? Do you know which county in the NWA region produces the most poultry? Do you recycle? Do you volunteer to clean the roadsides. ( Absolutely accurate about the MO state line and the clean roadsides Boulder. We have 20 something horses just over the line up towards Monett and I go ther a lot. I noticed the clean farms there immediately.) Do you fly over this area and take a look at the acreage lost to poultry houses and cattle operations? This is not sustainable agriculture.

Blindly defending the condition of the state's culture is absurd, and yes my dear Nita, we suffer everywhere in this country. Anyway fellow Arkansans, stand at the door of your Wally Mart and ask 100 people going thru the door anything about the facts of the condtion of the state's schools, environment, and society. Not many could answer even one. I am disappointed to find this here, and unafraid to call out the truth. I am here to make a difference and will not be leaving. The wild Alaskan salmon is flown in from the tribe that harvest it responsibly, and comes straight out the lonesome road to my property at the exact price I would have payed at the market in Palo Alto, as do the Peet's coffee beans and other "things" not available here. I will give back to the area what it gave me. I wonder what people who wrote these odd little replies are doing for their homeland?

Boulder is obviously more patient with you than I. Let's see if my left coast brain can put this little colloquialism out correctly.......I'm betting I was a pissin' in these woods long before you were a glint in your daddy's eye, and so was my father, and his father before him. Wherever you people moved to, please stay there, or at least have the decency to come back with your chain saw and cut down a few mecury vapor lights. Then pull up a jug of your best mash, we don't drink outa cans up here on the mountain, and we'll talk about how to fix it. It IS broke......And Sam you poor individual, it's obvious intellectual banter is well over your head - anger has nothing to do with it. YOU can't read either. I'm disappointed, not angry, and nowhere near stupid enough to live in Clarksville or LR......no reply required.

Last edited by Hillbilly60; 07-10-2007 at 05:13 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,928,603 times
Hillbilly, you need anger management in a town much larger than the entire state of Arkansas can provide. I'm sure our uneducated physicians and counselors can't even begin to scratch the surface of your obviously bitter psyche. I'd also bet it pained you severely to use your "colloquialism"....you're much too high brow to be using phrases like that. No wonder you don't fit into the niche of Clarksville.

Spence and Kim, I salute your EXCELLENT post.

Yes, there are shortcomings. Find me a place where there isn't, and I'm there. For the majority of us, we are here by choice - we will keep it that way - and those who find it just simply too constricting for their urban lifestyle will move on. Different strokes and all.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
OK, sorry if my degradation of the Ft. Smith area has offended anyone. I was speaking based off my personal experiences and I have the right to make them being that I've only lived here for 5 years, spent the rest of my life travelling around the country to several different places so I've been around and have a lot to compare it to. I sometimes get real emotional about it because I have wanted to relocate for so long but cannot due to personal obligations which I wont talk about here. And sorry for trashing UAFS. While it still has a long way to go, it is improving.

nmnita is right in that most rural areas across the country have these same problems. That is why rural areas are not for everyone, if they were, they wouldn't be rural. I admit, rural areas are nice to get away, enjoy a slower pace of life, and enjoy simple things. It was refreshing to me when I first moved here, but soon I started to miss the amenities of city life and the greater diversity. To the people that live in rural areas however, the benefits of the quiet life outweigh the sacrifices.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anybody.

Thanks, bchris - it's just hard to watch the state we love being trashed over and over and over again......and you and Nita are absolutely correct - the rural south is NOT for everyone....there's a place for everyone - we're not perfect here, but many of us like our imperfection. There's a whole wonderful world out there and if life in Arkansas isn't what you imagined, find the wherewithall to go on about your business. I know the Caribbean wasn't for us....but I'm careful what I say on Virgin Islands boards. Although I lived there, the locals have been there for generations and they DON'T really want my opinion as to how to make their islands bigger, better, more friendly, more ecologically sound, whatever.....they wil come to that in their own time, but I won't be the one to drag the entire Caribbean through the mud based on my short stay there.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 AM

419 posts, read 1,346,983 times
Yea, certain places may not be for certain people, thats no reason to out and out trash them. I have spent quite a bit of time in Arkansas and know quite a few fine people up there, they're not running a meth lab, they aren't stupid and they're kids are going to great colleges.

There is some truth to what you speak of, there's no doubt about it, that's why I never moved to the river valley. Anytime you move to an area like that, particularly if you're not religious, you're going to have a hard time finding people like yourself. Yet again, thats no reason to attack them, they didn't ask you to move in next to them, I doubt many of them would love my traffic laden existence in exchange. My solution, I didn't move there, it's fairly easy to solve. Stop trashing the local folk and move to Fayetteville.

Btw, try to stop using so many overgeneralizations, it can't all be so bad. All the way down to the house construction isn't as good, thats quite a stretch isn't it? Expecially considering the types of homes they're throwing up in California atm, for hundreds of thousands of dollars higher than what they should be selling for, definately no better construction than new home construction in Arkansas. In fact, I would argue construction is better in Arkansas.

Basically, I've always had a respect for Arkansas for their culture, always friendly and inviting. Ninety percent of Arkansas I would not want to live in because I don't expect the populace to be different than it is and they shouldn't be. There are demographic studies to match places to you're own desires. Many Californians are in different states forums criticizing the place they tried to escape too, whether it be Texas or Tennessee or Arkansas for you. I just have yet to figure out why you guys think you want to change all these places into the same type of environment you fled from. When you move to a place you're supposed to try to fit in, they are not required to fit you, end of story.

I'm not saying you have to agree with the area in which you live, or even that you shouldn't post it, because people need to be aware of the negatives an area has. But when you just take reckless and demeaning aim at every aspect of the local environment, it begins to appear the problem is with you instead of the area. Especially when several of the things you attempt to convey about the area are just not statistically supportable.(see your meth lab diatribe among other things)

Last edited by DFWMike; 07-10-2007 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly60 View Post
Only Boulder got the point, and tempered an analysis indicative of intelligence. I happened upon this site by accident while looking up some data and laughed my head off at rosy picture's of the AR river valley regions quality of life. Boulder's right, few writer's responding even live here. Nita is naive at best (sorry) and Spence and Kim's diatribe isn't about AR at all, it's generic middle of road Americana and also riddled with an emotional and anger bent repsonse that is indicative of the stresses of society. Left coaster? Can you not read. I see that you weren't born here, nor live here now. I WAS born here, raised here, held every job you mentioned while growing up here in the Ozark mtns, know more about the cultivation of various culitvars of okra than you could possilby imagine, and clearly understand more about Ozark culture than you've managed to so far. This is MY countryside north of the AR river to the headwaters of the White and Buffalo. I have walked thru it in places most locals don't even know exist. I did not do this while taking potshots at the wildlife with high powered weaponry and calling it hunting. And catfish, if you call what's available in the market here as catfish, you're not a southerner, you're an emulator. All the local native species of fish now contain unhealthy levels of mercury (we're downwind from the massive coal fired power plants of OK), and their water's are green from excessive nutrient (N, P, K ) from billions of pounds of poultry waste being applied to pasture. And Sam Walton, give me a break....If you honor money he can be your hero, the truth - He was successful at cultivating a cancerous form of capitalism that has decimated small town America. His legacy employs 1.2 million, and profits by outsourcing cheap good production and pressuring it's suppliers to produce offshore (China), while displacing 10 or 100's of thousands of OUR American workers. While you're out in the road popping one open, and I'm betting I've done that a lot more than "y'all", did you bother to bring your cans back with you? Most here don't.

For decade's in the Stanford University community where I lived and worked I passionately defended everything about AR and my upbringing here. I admit I lost touch with the reality of the culture during decades when my friends and I refered to the south central US as fly over states. I watched as thousands of 20-something mediocre midwestern 4 to 5 yr degree types flooded the bay area in the 90's, and us old timers from silicon valley watched as these kids blew billions in investment dollars building fancy office space, sat around behind high powered work stations and imagined they had a product, someone interested in buying it, and an infrastructure to deliver it. The dot com wonders mostly ended up working as coffee barista's by late 2000.

I returned here for personal reasons and to develop a sustainable agriculture farm. It did not take these past 3 years to assess and condense the "scathing" opinion I put out to shine the light on the nonense I was reading about here. I LOVE the countryside of the Ozark escarpment. Spence & Kim do you even know what that is? Do you know which county in the NWA region produces the most poultry? Do you recycle? Do you volunteer to clean the roadsides. ( Absolutely accurate about the MO state line and the clean roadsides Boulder. We have 20 something horses just over the line up towards Monett and I go ther a lot. I noticed the clean farms there immediately.) Do you fly over this area and take a look at the acreage lost to poultry houses and cattle operations? This is not sustainable agriculture.

Blindly defending the condition of the state's culture is absurd, and yes my dear Nita, we suffer everywhere in this country. Anyway fellow Arkansans, stand at the door of your Wally Mart and ask 100 people going thru the door anything about the facts of the condtion of the state's schools, environment, and society. Not many could answer even one. I am disappointed to find this here, and unafraid to call out the truth. I am here to make a difference and will not be leaving. The wild Alaskan salmon is flown in from the tribe that harvest it responsibly, and comes straight out the lonesome road to my property at the exact price I would have payed at the market in Palo Alto, as do the Peet's coffee beans and other "things" not available here. I will give back to the area what it gave me. I wonder what people who wrote these odd little replies are doing for their homeland?

Boulder is obviously more patient with you than I. Let's see if my left coast brain can put this little colloquialism out correctly.......I'm betting I was a pissin' in these woods long before you were a glint in your daddy's eye, and so was my father, and his father before him. Wherever you people moved to, please stay there, or at least have the decency to come back with your chain saw and cut down a few mecury vapor lights. Then pull up a jug of your best mash, we don't drink outa cans up here on the mountain, and we'll talk about how to fix it. It IS broke......And Sam you poor individual, it's obvious intellectual banter is well over your head - anger has nothing to do with it. YOU can't read either. I'm disappointed, not angry, and nowhere near stupid enough to live in Clarksville or LR......no reply required.
OMG, snobbery at it's best. It is sad to see people like you so unhappy with life or the life you are living I should say. Maybe it won't be long before you can do yourself and the good people of AR a favor and return to California. Nita

Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Yea, certain places may not be for certain people, thats no reason to out and out trash them. I have spent quite a bit of time in Arkansas and know quite a few fine people up there, they're not running a meth lab, they aren't stupid and they're kids are going to great colleges.

There is some truth to what you speak of, there's no doubt about it, that's why I never moved to the river valley. Anytime you move to an area like that, particularly if you're not religious, you're going to have a hard time finding people like yourself. Yet again, thats no reason to attack them, they didn't ask you to move in next to them, I doubt many of them would love my traffic laden existence in exchange. My solution, I didn't move there, it's fairly easy to solve. Stop trashing the local folk and move to Fayetteville.

Btw, try to stop using so many overgeneralizations, it can't all be so bad. All the way down to the house construction isn't as good, thats quite a stretch isn't it? Expecially considering the types of homes they're throwing up in California atm, for hundreds of thousands of dollars higher than what they should be selling for, definately no better construction than new home construction in Arkansas. In fact, I would argue construction is better in Arkansas.

Basically, I've always had a respect for Arkansas for their culture, always friendly and inviting. Ninety percent of Arkansas I would not want to live in because I don't expect the populace to be different than it is and they shouldn't be. There are demographic studies to match places to you're own desires. Many Californians are in different states forums criticizing the place they tried to escape too, whether it be Texas or Tennessee or Arkansas for you. I just have yet to figure out why you guys think you want to change all these places into the same type of environment you fled from. When you move to a place you're supposed to try to fit in, they are not required to fit you, end of story.

I'm not saying you have to agree with the area in which you live, or even that you shouldn't post it, because people need to be aware of the negatives an area has. But when you just take reckless and demeaning aim at every aspect of the local environment, it begins to appear the problem is with you instead of the area. Especially when several of the things you attempt to convey about the area are just not statistically supportable.(see your meth lab diatribe among other things)
Attempting to fit in is the secret. Am I the only one who gets the impression people like Hillbilly spends much of their time letting their neighbors know how bad AR is compared to Calif. Understanding a locales way of life goes along way toward acceptance. Not everyone is going to be happy with any one place or situation, but nothing can be all that bad either. There are 50 states last time I checked plus the District of Columbia, each has it's own personality, problems and strong points. None, not even Arkansas is all bad. And for the likes of Hillbilly, what do you hope to accomplish by blasting away. Gee, the more people you scare away the less likely anyone with the credentuals you consider important will want to move to AR.

BTW, I do realize some areas of Ar are better than other areas, isn't this the case in most states. We are settling in BV, but not because we think we are better than anyone living in Clarksville or the surrounding areas, we were looking forward to investigating Russellville. Our reason for settling in the NW corner has to do with finances and a proposition our daughters purposed to us. Are we excited about this? You better beleive it, but that doesn't make me think any less of other parts of the state. NMNita

Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
BTW, I do realize some areas of Ar are better than other areas, isn't this the case in most states. We are settling in BV, but not because we think we are better than anyone living in Clarksville or the surrounding areas, we were looking forward to investigating Russellville. Our reason for settling in the NW corner has to do with finances and a proposition our daughters purposed to us. Are we excited about this? You better beleive it, but that doesn't make me think any less of other parts of the state. NMNita
Nita - I didn't know ya'll had decided for sure on BV - well, best of luck to you! I hope you love it here! It surely is a beautiful part of the state and I think you will love the state and the (mostly friendly people)...WELCOME!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM

24 posts, read 65,406 times
Default No reply necessary, but certainly warranted.

To Sam and the rest of the posters on this thread, thank you for understanding my point. To Hillbilly...yes, I can see where a lot of folks missed your point. However you headlined your thread with something indicating you had something to say regarding the entire state. Staying true to your topic you should have chosen a title more fitting like, "I just really need to b*tch about Clarksville" and you wouldn't have gotten so many others riled up. You've got some valid points regarding that region of the state but guess what, it's just one region.

When we were looking at houses around the state years ago we happened to that town you spoke of and before too long we were asking the realtor, "What is that smell?!?" Her honest reply? "What smell?." That just means that she, along with the other residents have gotten used to it along with the way things are down there. If they didn't like it they would have moved far away. My Point? People are just fine with the way things are sometimes, until someone comes along and tells them they shouldn't be.

I am not going to type out a defense for every line I wrote or where it came from. I'm not the sort of person to say, "I did this or I'm better than that." The opinions I expressed are merely a reflection of MY time in that state. MY memories of the way things were. MY hopes of a life for my newborn son more like what I grew up with. My rant was that of pure joy in remembrance of the people, places, sights, sounds and yes even smells of the place I consider my home. I have lived damn near everywhere in "Middle America" and I can tell you for certain that was by no means a generic account. And hell yeah it's loaded with emotion because that's what comes through when you're speaking of something you truly love. That's what's got everyone else here so fired up along side me. Not too sure about the "stresses of society" can't really say I have them. Good home, great family, good looking and to boot, I'm rich be-och. All that and humble too. Nope, no stess there. See that comes from that whole laughing at yourself thing, remember?

I don't care if you're multi-generational Arkansan while I only spent a portion of my life there. So you're probably longer in the tooth than I am. What's your point? I think it's great that you know the reproductive cycle of Okra. Whoopie. I'm so happy that you keep a stock of horses north of the border, I bet they just fart Ode du Toilette. I think it's wonderful that you are so chocked full of knowledge that you feel the need to spread it like manure. And I can tell that you're the type of person who likes to puff out their chest, point to their recycling bin and say, "See, I'm saving the planet all by myself."

Did I forgot to mention that Arkansans are a humble bunch.

I agree that Arkansas can go a long way in cleaning itself up along with it's reputation. And part of me agrees that there are people into such endeavors are needed to help the rest of us make this world a little bit better. But I also firmly belive in to each his own. Meaning you take care of yours and I'll take care of mine and we'll get along just fine. But start bellyaching about another person's home, family, lifestyle or beliefs then you not only have a big problem, you've got yourself a Californian. If you really want to try and make a difference somewhere that really needs the help try moving to Newark. I hear folks in Jersey love it when outsiders try to move in and tell them what to do. Hope you can swim.

And one last note regarding Uncle Sam. Now it's your turn to miss the point.I was not trying to indicate that Sam Walton was a personal hero. I was illustrating a crontrast to the stereotypical dumb hick associated with that fair state. Sam Walton developed a smart business plan that proved to be a huge success because of the shortcomings of his competition. He would not have been successful had the public not wanted what he was offering. You need to go back to your own last post. Employ 1.2 million at the sacrifice of 10 thousand. Throw in a few hundred thousand sattelite jobs created just to cater to Wal-Mart such as construction of the new stores and supply warehouses. Plus the jobs of the vendors that have made Bentonville grow in huge numbers. Plus a whole fleet of supply trucks on the road, plus a boatload of other jobs that I can't think of right now and you've got what seems like pretty solid economic math to me, but hell I'm juat a dumb hick who doesn't know of such things. Besides, we're not here to talk about Walton. He was just a pretty smart cat in my book.

Billy, you've obviously got a bug up your butt so instead of complaining about things, do something about it.

So finally, I've got nothing else to say. Sam, I've enjoyed reading your posts and since we both seem to be too low-brow for some uppity hillbilly's intelectual banter, what say you and I hoist a few cold ones while you show me a few of the better places to catch rainbow trout when I finally make it out there. I hear they taste better with this new mercury flavoring.

And remember boys and girls, what do we do when we see that bright yellow Toyota Hybrid tooling down the road spuing a cloud of smug and a shiny new bumper sticker that reads, "Have You Hugged Your Tree Today?" That's right, shoot `em.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 65,406 times
Vickor, Nita, Bass Man. Than you guys too. I was actually just having a little fun with the My 2 Cents post. Never meant to get serious. I'm gonna re-post that as a new thread without the venom. Take a look and lets start a thread about the POSITIVE things we like about this state. Post your impressions so we can give the other readers a better impression of Arkansas life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or