U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:28 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly60 View Post
I stumble into one of these things a couple of times a year, always in a fit of regression about something some misinformed idiot put up. It never fails to amaze me how many empty nesters there are with absolutely nothing to do, and having discovered the wonders of the internet, they suddenly have plenty to say about things they obviously know very little about. I'm not quitting the argument, and I sincerely hope all your bp meds are working well, but there are actually things to do in AR, and I have to bow out of indulging such directionless nonsense which so many of you seem to take to heart. Where do you find the time........
Be amazed by this - you have been rude and condescending and have offended not only the "empty nesters" (oh, for the love of Pete) but about everyone on here - I am sure you won't be so be amazed when I tell you to bite me.

And thank you very much for the compliment, but I'm busy running my own company...I think I have plenty to do. I WILL bow out of the conversation and you can argue with yourself. Go west, young man, you surely aren't what I want representing the state.

By the way, I'm generally a really nice person - but people who are insufferably supreme to everyone else make me a little .... bitchy.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-10-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM

419 posts, read 1,344,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I still say this isn't all that much different than any other smaller place anywhere in the USA. I can tell the same stories about Lewisville, TX, Belen, NM, parts of central Va, etc.

Nita
Just had to respond to this, what in the heck does Lewisville have in common with your point? Culturally diverse middle class suburb with excellent schools, am I missing something? Not trying to be difficult but had to stand up for Lewisville.

Edit: Nevermind, maybe you do have something of a point. Lewisville does have the glorified hs sports issue.

Last edited by DFWMike; 07-10-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Should have read more completely before posting

Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Be amazed by this - you have been rude and condescending and have offended not only the "empty nesters" (oh, for the love of Pete) but about everyone on here - I am sure you won't be so be amazed when I tell you to bite me.

And thank you very much for the compliment, but I'm busy running my own company...I think I have plenty to do. I WILL bow out of the conversation and you can argue with yourself. Go west, young man, you surely aren't what I want representing the state.

By the way, I'm generally a really nice person - but people who are insufferably supreme to everyone else make me a little .... bitchy.
My sentiments exactly. I too run my own business, raise a garden, play bridge 2 or 3 times a week, am Pres of our Woman's church group and yes, do find time for the net. When I am at my desk, waiting for a return phone call from a client or waiting for a payment I will wander over here. Beleive it or not, I am a nice person also or at least I have been told so.

Our friend just didn't seem to be able to handle the facts. If he is still with us, I would bet dollars to donuts he is, yes, I am an empty nester, have been for many years and yes, I am part of the so called mature group, but I am certainly not just sitting around, looking for something to keep me busy. I am looking for ways to slow down.

Nita

Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 PM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Just had to respond to this, what in the heck does Lewisville have in common with your point? Culturally diverse middle class suburb with excellent schools, am I missing something? Not trying to be difficult but had to stand up for Lewisville.

Edit: Nevermind, maybe you do have something of a point. Lewisville does have the glorified hs sports issue.
For the most part you certainly are correct, maybe not the superior schools (those in Lewisville itself that is) I was just pointing out, kids have the same problems and concerns, do the same things, etc in all parts of the country.

Standing up for Lewisville, good for you, we lived there for 13 years, our daughter lives in Highland Shores.

You are probably right, Lewisville really wasn't a good example, but it came to my head anyway.

Nita

Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 PM

58 posts, read 171,288 times
Hey Nita!

My response was in support of what Spence&Kim stated in his post. Just reading it reminded me of my grandparents who are all gone. Yep I know age makes somewhat of a difference in realizing what is important and what isn't. Hopefully we all grow wiser as we grow older.....

But I think at 25 I still appreciated what my grandparents brought to my life. AND I certainly didn't criticize the life they had lived to that point in time that provided me with those memories. Most of my family was born in the south and transplanted to California... as is the case with a good number of californians if they're honest.

The things Spence&Kim said hit a chord with me. Although he was having some fun... bottom line it still reflected honesty, family, work ethic, responsibility and of course the Sunday after church dinners of fried chicken, greens (instead of okra :>), potato salald and ice tea!!

Let me reminisce(sp>) girl!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,351,136 times
Hey Now my Arkie Friends,, Not all things Californian are bad, We do have some pretty good bass fishing, and I'm pretty fond of Wifie too.. Everything else sucks though LOL

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly60 View Post
Only Boulder got the point, and tempered an analysis indicative of intelligence. I happened upon this site by accident while looking up some data and laughed my head off at rosy picture's of the AR river valley regions quality of life. Boulder's right, few writer's responding even live here. Nita is naive at best (sorry) and Spence and Kim's diatribe isn't about AR at all, it's generic middle of road Americana and also riddled with an emotional and anger bent repsonse that is indicative of the stresses of society. Left coaster? Can you not read. I see that you weren't born here, nor live here now. I WAS born here, raised here, held every job you mentioned while growing up here in the Ozark mtns, know more about the cultivation of various culitvars of okra than you could possilby imagine, and clearly understand more about Ozark culture than you've managed to so far. This is MY countryside north of the AR river to the headwaters of the White and Buffalo. I have walked thru it in places most locals don't even know exist. I did not do this while taking potshots at the wildlife with high powered weaponry and calling it hunting. And catfish, if you call what's available in the market here as catfish, you're not a southerner, you're an emulator. All the local native species of fish now contain unhealthy levels of mercury (we're downwind from the massive coal fired power plants of OK), and their water's are green from excessive nutrient (N, P, K ) from billions of pounds of poultry waste being applied to pasture. And Sam Walton, give me a break....If you honor money he can be your hero, the truth - He was successful at cultivating a cancerous form of capitalism that has decimated small town America. His legacy employs 1.2 million, and profits by outsourcing cheap good production and pressuring it's suppliers to produce offshore (China), while displacing 10 or 100's of thousands of OUR American workers. While you're out in the road popping one open, and I'm betting I've done that a lot more than "y'all", did you bother to bring your cans back with you? Most here don't.

For decade's in the Stanford University community where I lived and worked I passionately defended everything about AR and my upbringing here. I admit I lost touch with the reality of the culture during decades when my friends and I refered to the south central US as fly over states. I watched as thousands of 20-something mediocre midwestern 4 to 5 yr degree types flooded the bay area in the 90's, and us old timers from silicon valley watched as these kids blew billions in investment dollars building fancy office space, sat around behind high powered work stations and imagined they had a product, someone interested in buying it, and an infrastructure to deliver it. The dot com wonders mostly ended up working as coffee barista's by late 2000.

I returned here for personal reasons and to develop a sustainable agriculture farm. It did not take these past 3 years to assess and condense the "scathing" opinion I put out to shine the light on the nonense I was reading about here. I LOVE the countryside of the Ozark escarpment. Spence & Kim do you even know what that is? Do you know which county in the NWA region produces the most poultry? Do you recycle? Do you volunteer to clean the roadsides. ( Absolutely accurate about the MO state line and the clean roadsides Boulder. We have 20 something horses just over the line up towards Monett and I go ther a lot. I noticed the clean farms there immediately.) Do you fly over this area and take a look at the acreage lost to poultry houses and cattle operations? This is not sustainable agriculture.

Blindly defending the condition of the state's culture is absurd, and yes my dear Nita, we suffer everywhere in this country. Anyway fellow Arkansans, stand at the door of your Wally Mart and ask 100 people going thru the door anything about the facts of the condtion of the state's schools, environment, and society. Not many could answer even one. I am disappointed to find this here, and unafraid to call out the truth. I am here to make a difference and will not be leaving. The wild Alaskan salmon is flown in from the tribe that harvest it responsibly, and comes straight out the lonesome road to my property at the exact price I would have payed at the market in Palo Alto, as do the Peet's coffee beans and other "things" not available here. I will give back to the area what it gave me. I wonder what people who wrote these odd little replies are doing for their homeland?

Boulder is obviously more patient with you than I. Let's see if my left coast brain can put this little colloquialism out correctly.......I'm betting I was a pissin' in these woods long before you were a glint in your daddy's eye, and so was my father, and his father before him. Wherever you people moved to, please stay there, or at least have the decency to come back with your chain saw and cut down a few mecury vapor lights. Then pull up a jug of your best mash, we don't drink outa cans up here on the mountain, and we'll talk about how to fix it. It IS broke......And Sam you poor individual, it's obvious intellectual banter is well over your head - anger has nothing to do with it. YOU can't read either. I'm disappointed, not angry, and nowhere near stupid enough to live in Clarksville or LR......no reply required.
Wow....thats like a sociology paper.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Thanks for the entertainment everybody on this post. Im not from this state, but I think you're all smarter than me. You guys know how to throw down the insults in your state. Im going to tune in tommorrow to see what happens next.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Thanks for the entertainment everybody on this post. Im not from this state, but I think you're all smarter than me. You guys know how to throw down the insults in your state. Im going to tune in tommorrow to see what happens next.
We'll return to being the good-natured Arkansans we've always been....you just don't mess with Arkansas - oh, wait, that's don't mess with Texas, isn't it? Ooops!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 AM

419 posts, read 1,344,200 times
Definately is if you ever suggest Dallas isn't pretty on the Dallas forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or