U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:40 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times

Advertisements

Well, you may get teased about being from the north, but they aren't going to run you out of town! Just be nice to everyone and try to learn to say "ya'll" and you should be fine! There is a nice variety of churches here, from Catholic to Baptist to evangelical; the only thing I don't think there is would be a Jewish synagogue. Take your pick! Diversity - well, yeah - the area is largely Caucasian with lots of Latinos thrown in - primarily on the Dardanelle side of the river. Not so many Afro-Americans, but our neighborhood has a sprinkling. Summers are generally hot, although it's rained for about 3 weeks this year - yesterday at 3:00 it was only 73! That's a HUGE split from the normal mid to high nineties we usually have...nights are in the mid 70's. Winter - you will get a snow or two and possibly an ice storm, at which point everyone goes back to bed. The main roads through town (Hwy. 7/Arkansas Avenue and Hwy. 64/Main St.) are actually state highways so they are cleared very well...but mostly the whole town just shuts down for anything that resembles sleet or snow.

I will PM you with the realtor's website...a good friend and part owner in a national real estate company...great girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,348 times
Wow, there sure are a lot of Californians.......

I'm from California, and have no desire to go back!

Welcome to Arkansas....

Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 PM

3,160 posts, read 9,497,212 times
Catherine, you might have to train yourself to speak more slowly. I know a guy from Boston in my little town in OK, and while I can understand him I don't think everyone can. He has quite an accent, I don't know about yours, so maybe I am assuming too much. He also has soooooo much energy! Things move a lot more slowly here, I think it makes him impatient. Good luck with your move, Arkansas is really a pretty place.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3333 View Post
now Arkansas is beautiful, but diverse in climate and peolple. It also has some dry counties no lotteries, no gaming and small towns generally. Try to get near a border town for more interesting things to do, if you know what i mean. I live in western Arkansas friendly people, and well caucasion. Fayetteville is very cosmopolitian, wonderful town. Fort Smith is a little rougher, but is improving. (and even traffic jams some times) and near all the vices of Oklahoma, if you want to call it that, Earstern Arkansas is kind of Mississippi west, Black population, and I dont live there so I can't say much. I see no reason to live in Centeral Arkansas. other than its pretty but all of Ark is pretty . I came friom California (LA) and never want to go back to live. My early morning friends are deer and fawns out side my kitchen window, and incredibly beautiful birds of all colors my neigbors are doctors and friendly folks too.
Good luck in the Natural State!
North Central Arkansas around Mountain Home is one of the most beautiful places anywhere and I know, my husband and I have visited many areas worldwide. People are the areas greatest asset - friendly. Crystal clear Lake Norfork is crystal clear not muddy like most of the other lakes. I have not met a single person here who is not happy being here. If you love fishing, hiking, water sports, and nature's beauty, this is the place. I think this is the most picturesque area of Arkansas.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Catherine, you might have to train yourself to speak more slowly. I know a guy from Boston in my little town in OK, and while I can understand him I don't think everyone can. He has quite an accent, I don't know about yours, so maybe I am assuming too much. He also has soooooo much energy! Things move a lot more slowly here, I think it makes him impatient. Good luck with your move, Arkansas is really a pretty place.
I know I will have to learn to speak more slowly. I rattle on a mile a minute, I can't even keep up with myself. Worse than me is our 21 year old granddaughter (21 tomorrow) she not only talks fast but has a slight southern accent. Not the easiest to understand.

Nita

Old 07-14-2007, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
Russellville is surrounded by some of the most beautiful country in the Ozarks. Highway 7 out of Russellvile toward Jasper is oft-touted by the American Automobile Association as one of the most beautiful drives. Also, the Ozark Highland Trail is just a few miles east of there. There are hiking trails, of course, but the highways are beautiful to drive.

Most Ozarkers are friendly to a fault, so don't hesitate to smile back and visit a little. I'm a native Ozarker myself, and when I worked in St. Louis a doctor from Boston was always teasing me about my accent. We had some good fun, as his accent was about as pronounced as mine!

I hope you enjoy Russellville and can make time for the natural beauty that surrounds you.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 AM

54 posts, read 199,362 times
thank you all so much for posting. It sound like i will fit in just fine. although i was born in boston and have the accent. I live on cape cod so I was looking for a much slower pace. But the cape has built up it has become a lot like the surrounding boston towns, except the beaches. The rest of my family is from san antonio, but that area has grown and is much to fast for me. so this will be a good fit. ps. any horses around? thats my thing. thanks cat.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Horses...yes, lord...horses everywhere.

I got your PM and have responded to you...let me know how it's going, I'm around all the time!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM

17 posts, read 46,985 times
Default rsvl-you're giving me goosebumps!

Wow! You guys are getting me ready to pack my bags! Since we have been thinking of moving back to Rsvl, my hubby's hometown, I've been reading these boards. Sam-I-am, your description almost has me putting a sign out! Really, I lived there with him for 5 years after we got married, and liked it a lot. I didn't find a problem with being from PA, just had to learn to understand the talk; at first I couldn't understand a word anyone said! I think they had the same problem, the kids at the daycare I worked at for a year would just say, "teacher, you talk funny" and they would ask me to talk for entertainment! We lived out in Oak Grove (past Moreland) at first, very beautiful, then moved to town on Old Cove Road. We are ready to ditch our enormous tax bill, high crime, you name it. We are waiting to see what his job here does, and it is hard to get a good-paying job there, that is why we moved back here, his place of work shut down and I was homesick. Funny, now I'm homesick for Russellville! What does that say about the place? Must be pretty darn nice, huh! The nuclear plant doesn't bother me, my in-laws have a huge house on Hwy. 64 practically across from it, and that doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, sounds like he might look to that place for a decent job! And don't worry about what anyone says about some smell. Yes, when I worked at Honda, you could smell that darling place or whatever it was called, the rendering plant, on some days. But that is the only place I smelled it, that general area. Not in town or anything like that. We have a chocolate factory right up the road, and before you think that's too great, you should smell it when they burn the stuff! Not pretty! Well, thanks for the encouragement, this is a huge decision for us, my family is here, and we know we can't come back here if we move, b/c of the housing prices (let's just say that the houses you can get for $150-200,000 there are going for $350-400,000 here) and our taxes. We pay close to $2,500 a year and our assessment is only for $88,000, and they are considering re-assessing Montgomery County, which would double it to $160,000 easily. Then you know what will happen! We'll drown!

Your beautiful description is boosting my confidence, and we will see what the coming months bring! Best of luck to (I think) Catherine in your move, maybe we'll see you there, and Sam-I-Am, maybe we'll see you around too in the future! We were down in April so I don't know when we'll be back for a visit next, we usually go once a year or so, but who knows, maybe soon we'll be there for real!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas