Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM

24 posts, read 74,894 times

Advertisements

This thread is actually an offshoot from another discussion. A poster, lets just call him "mountain-william 59+1" posted a longwhinded negative rant on what he thought was wrong with this state and I wanted to give everyone here the chance to throw in their 2 cents worth about what they love about this state. So please, I invite you not to respond to my thoughts, thair just my opinion, but to add your own thoughts, opinions attitudes, ect towards this state. Just keep it on a positive note.

We're Arkansans. We have been so for generations. Our fathers we're proud to be here, and for many their fathers before them. They taught us how to fish, and how to hunt and most importantly why it's more than a reason to kill something.

We learned how to stand up for what we believe in and to respect others for doing the same.

We learned young what a work ethic is, no matter if we worked on a farm, chicken ranch, fast food restaurant or grocery store. We are an example of the backbone that built this country. And if you don't think we've got the smarts to go along with the hard work, just think of the last time you bought your day-to-day essentials at a store other than Wally World or at least a model of what Sam Walton created from his simple 5 and 10. The family of that "dumb Arkansan" is still laughing all the way to the bank.

Other "Dumb Arkansans" make thousands of dollars every year convincing tourists to pay good money to dig around in the dirt hunting for diamonds. Others make good money selling empty milk jugs to even more tourists so they can bring home "authentic spring water"

We salute the flag and remember those who worked a lot harder and sacrificed a whole lot more than we did so that we have the privelage to wave that banner proudly.

We know our neighbors and their kids and we all watch out for one another.

We wave to other cars as we pass on a country highway, even if we don't know the driver. And when a new face moves into the neighborhood we say "hello" and "welcome" with a peach cobbler.

We consume catfish, and okra, and sweet tea by the gallon. And nobody elses' fried chicken nor biscuits can stand up to the way momma makes 'em.

We are not politically correct, nor do we appologize for that.

We say things like "y'all" and "fixin" and "over yonder". We don't worry about the way they sound to others, we know what we mean.

Our children say things like, "yes M'am" and "Sir." And we also know what that means. A southern draw may sound like the mark of a dumb hick to some, but it can sure make a boy homesick when he's been away for a while.

A handshake is as solid as a signed contract.

We have provided fodder for the likes of Jeff Foxworthy, Cleatus T. Judd, Jerry Clower, and Larry the Cable Guy. Material that has made the rest of the world laugh, but not nearly as hard as we can laugh at ourselves.

"Hell Yeah" means just what it means.

When it gets too hot, we head to the swimmin hole, or we go play out on the lake, or just take a nice long float trip down a river with water cool enough to chill down the six-pack tied to our tube.

We are the buckle of the bible belt. Going to church on Sunday is not just for worship, but to reconnect with our community after a long week of work. And because of this we know how to trust each other. We leave our front door unlocked at night. We go to Wal-Mart and leave the keyes in our car. We pump our gas THEN we go in and pay for it. And yes, if our county elders choose to keep things dry we have a little Friday night tradition. It's called a b-e-e-r-r-u-n.

We raise a little hell from time to time.

We meet our buddies on an old dirt road, pop a few tops, and talk about the good 'ol days while counting fireflies on a warm summer night.

We still drive our girls out to the lake and watch the submarine races. (That's going parkin' for those who just don't know). Or we drive up to a mountain top lookout just to watch the sunset over a dense patchwork of green.

We are what country songs are written about.

We know where the bad parts of town are and do our best to stay away from there. We know there are some parts of the state that just plain suck, so guess what? We just don't hang out there.

We know about familes that are dirt-floor-poor that are closer to each other and know how to get more out of life than other families living in the lap of luxury that barely speak to each other.

We don't mind the outsiders. If you've come here to work and have got a strong back we can use ya'. We pay our own way and expect everyone else to. We welcome anyone who is lucky enough to have to opportunity to come and enjoy our beautiful state and all it has to offer. We just hope you can enjoy our home for what it is rather than bitchin` about all the things it aint. If we seem to be just a little on the shorter side with someone whose not from these parts, it's usually because they come in with a lousy attitude towards the way things are and want to change them to the way THEY think things should be. And all I can say is that if you have a particular problem with the way things are down here then maybe this isn't place for you after all and you should go back to the greener grass on your side rather than pissin' on ours.

I wasn't born in this state, I don't currently live in this state but I was raised here and the values I gained from the time my family spent here have taken me a long way in life and I'm currently working very hard to return to the only place I've ever called home. I just hope I can get back before this place gets overrun with a bunch of left coast, hair-brained, hollier than thow, belly-aching, never happy about nuthin, snotty, snooty, angry little people doing their best to create their own silk purse out our beloved sows ear!

But that's all just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM

oops, and I almost forgot 2 other points.
1) We do NOT marry our cousins. Well not unless they're really, really hot.
2) and, SAM just reminded me of this, We consider Whattaburger worthy of a road trip.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence&Kim View Post
2) and, SAM just reminded me of this, We consider Whattaburger worthy of a road trip.
I have to say I draw the line at Whattaburger, There must be a better burger place somewhere in AR?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Nita, Nita - the Whattaburger - well, that's as worthy of a song as the Razorpiggy! Sure, there are better burgers - but this is an institution!

Ya'll gotta know how to call the Hogs...Long and loud It's annoying sometimes to be in a one college state, but then again - you will see everyone from every walk of life at a game or at the tailgate party…and you’ll never hear another battle cry like Pig Sooie!

To me this is a very easy, gentle, laid back state - there are still lots of backroads and gorgeous creeks and rivers, and you'd swear you're the only one that has ever seen them. The change of seasons may come late, but by Christmas you've at least had first frost...usually mid October, but definitely by November. Or maybe Christmas… There's never so much of any weather you get tired of it, although summer can sap you - but when it's over, we all want more.

I was born here, raised here, and haven't wandered far from my roots...my folks were from Little Rock and their folks from Oppelo. This is where I belong - right smack in the heart of the Bible belt, even though I don't do them any good. My children, who are adults now, know how to treat a woman and their elders, and also how to stand up for themselves in a fight. They know respect for the flag and for their country. We don’t protest in loud numbers, burn flags, or support PETA, we’re too busy working for a living and enjoying the wonders we have around us.

Where else do you find a delta and low mountain ranges and clear skies and diamond mines? State treasures, to be sure – but the people of Arkansas are what makes it home. We watch out for each other. Many of the old Southern traditions live on here – Sunday dinner on the ground, taking a dessert to your new neighbor, having a neighborhood block party. It’s different kind of Southern, one of a kind. Call us crackers or hicks or rednecks or whatever you want to – but to the people who choose to call Arkansas home, there will never be anything else like it. I am not now, have never been, and will never be ashamed to call this my home, and I’m glad God blessed me with the opportunity to live here.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,005 times
Quote:
I was going to fish Dardanelle this week (the recreational pressure on GFL has kinda put the fishing off since the river is running too fast and all the flatlanders have been really crowding the lake) and one of my stops would have been Whattaburger.

The rains have kind of delayed the trip, but now I'm hungry...just might have to run down there anyway.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Nita, Nita - the Whattaburger - well, that's as worthy of a song as the Razorpiggy! Sure, there are better burgers - but this is an institution!

Ya'll gotta know how to call the Hogs...Long and loud It's annoying sometimes to be in a one college state, but then again - you will see everyone from every walk of life at a game or at the tailgate party…and you’ll never hear another battle cry like Pig Sooie!

To me this is a very easy, gentle, laid back state - there are still lots of backroads and gorgeous creeks and rivers, and you'd swear you're the only one that has ever seen them. The change of seasons may come late, but by Christmas you've at least had first frost...usually mid October, but definitely by November. Or maybe Christmas… There's never so much of any weather you get tired of it, although summer can sap you - but when it's over, we all want more.

I was born here, raised here, and haven't wandered far from my roots...my folks were from Little Rock and their folks from Oppelo. This is where I belong - right smack in the heart of the Bible belt, even though I don't do them any good. My children, who are adults now, know how to treat a woman and their elders, and also how to stand up for themselves in a fight. They know respect for the flag and for their country. We don’t protest in loud numbers, burn flags, or support PETA, we’re too busy working for a living and enjoying the wonders we have around us.

Where else do you find a delta and low mountain ranges and clear skies and diamond mines? State treasures, to be sure – but the people of Arkansas are what makes it home. We watch out for each other. Many of the old Southern traditions live on here – Sunday dinner on the ground, taking a dessert to your new neighbor, having a neighborhood block party. It’s different kind of Southern, one of a kind. Call us crackers or hicks or rednecks or whatever you want to – but to the people who choose to call Arkansas home, there will never be anything else like it. I am not now, have never been, and will never be ashamed to call this my home, and I’m glad God blessed me with the opportunity to live here.
Granddaughter is working on us about calling the HOGS, of course we are already UAR fans. What else could we be? This doesn't mean we don't like a few other teams, but AR is close to the top of our list; luckily the other favorite teams are not in the same conference.

As for Whattaburger, this is like being from Calif and not swearing by InandOut burgers? It is an institution; never a fast food burger like it?

Nita

Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM

26 posts, read 74,353 times
Default Married to a native from ElDorado

Well, I was ok with everything and really getting that proud emotional feeling about what it feels like to be from Arkansas until you mentioned WHATABURGER-Never had a really good one! Best hamburgers are here in Texas called Kincaid's out of Ft. Worth/Southlake/soon to be moving here to Arlington. Kincaids is part of the history of cowtown. They use only best organic meat and they make only as ordered with anyway you like it. They also got best fried pickles,okra,onion rings, and Banana puddin you ever et!
As fara as ElDorado-we always have to have a crappie fry after they have all been fishing at Darbonne-close to Ruston.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatwopugs View Post
Well, I was ok with everything and really getting that proud emotional feeling about what it feels like to be from Arkansas until you mentioned WHATABURGER-Never had a really good one!
I'll admit, there's burgers I like better and I think the old Feltner's was better before Mr. Bob died.....but I'm always surprised how many people stop in R'ville for Whattaburger!

There's some new place in town, can't think of the name.....honestly the best burger I think I've ever had....I think for a while Whattaburger was all Russellville was known for!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM

OKOKOKOK. I wasn't really trying to turn anybody on nor off by mentioning whattaburger. It has made this discussion kinda funny though. Whattaburgers are greasy, nasty, not that great and surely a heart attack in a paper sack. I only brought them up because we, along with a WHOLE lot of fellow travelers made it a point to stop in for one when we passed through. Like someone else already mentioned, they're sort of an instution in Russelville. I think most will agree that when it comes to Whattaburger it's the journey, not the destination, ya dig? Regardless, you guys are cracking me up with this one and after butting heads with a butt head I needed the laugh, thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,298 times
Quote:
OKOKOKOK. I wasn't really trying to turn anybody on nor off by mentioning whattaburger. It has made this discussion kinda funny though. Whattaburgers are greasy, nasty, not that great and surely a heart attack in a paper sack. I only brought them up because we, along with a WHOLE lot of fellow travelers made it a point to stop in for one when we passed through. Like someone else already mentioned, they're sort of an instution in Russelville. I think most will agree that when it comes to Whattaburger it's the journey, not the destination, ya dig? Regardless, you guys are cracking me up with this one and after butting heads with a butt head I needed the laugh, thanks.
OK ok I have to ask, Where is whattaburger?? I think I may want to try one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas