U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2007, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,011 times

Advertisements

I read another post from about a year ago stating the local industrys were having major layoffs. Just wondering what are some of these major industries there, and what is the status of the housing market?

I am going to be up there in about two weeks to look around and see about a job. Any places that I should avoid or check out while I am there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM

18 posts, read 70,115 times
Batesville, Ark is okay for any North Central Arkansas city. It is the county seat of Independence County. The major employers are Tyson and Pilgrims Pride. Both companies contribute to a high Illegal Alien presence. Other major industry includes many OTR trucking companies, Mid-West Lime, White River Materials, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Home Depot and other building supply stores. Batesville is growing and local residents are trying to clamp down on the law breaking elements.

Night time is not as safe as it used to be. Gangs are springing up and strengthening as they are imported from Mexico, Dallas,TX, Little Rock,AR, Memphis,TN, and Saint Louis,MO. Visit the Independence County Sheriffs Office website at: Independence County Sheriff's Department

Yes, former major employers were Eastman-Kodak, White-Rogers, General Tire and some others. Their operations were moved elsewhere.

Construction outfits and related employee possibilities seem good for now.

Good luck on your search!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 61,405 times
Hubcap had a lot of good information for you. ConAgra/Pilgrim's Pride and Townsends are two major factories in our area. Future Fuel, formerly Eastman-Kodak, is in the process of hiring. This company seems to be doing well. White-Rodgers is in a major down-slump right now. I have heard rumors of more lay-offs at General Tire (G.D.X.) The temp services always seem to have jobs available, maybe just not exactly what you are looking for.

As far as the housing goes, we have been shopping around in the area as well. We have found several house for sale. We have found several new constructions to be in the $100,000 plus range. As you drive around town, you will be able to tell which areas are best and which are not. I personally am trying to find something not on the west side of town. Southside is a good option, as well as the Moorefield area. Out by UACCB is another growing area.

You said something about going to Batesville in a couple of weeks. Be forewarned. The Water Carnival is the first weekend in August. Finding a motel room for that time period may be pretty tough. If you were planning on going then, I would definitely call ahead for a room.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. I'll help what I can.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:09 PM

49 posts, read 121,123 times
Default Batesville

Also, check batesvillespeedway.com on when they're having a big race there. Probably won't be able to find a motel there then either. We used to have to make our reservations a year in advance, and we raced.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 70,115 times
You can also check out the Batesville Daily Guard online at:
Batesville Daily Guard - GuardOnline.com

Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,011 times
Thanks for input and web referals.

I have two younger teenage daughters and know I am going to be loosing my job in the next few months and have been looking around for a safe place to get them through high school. With this fair warning it gives me time to look around at locations that I think I would like to move.

Do you think it would be better to go to a smaller school like Cushman or Batesville?

Batesville high schools looked to have the highest test scores on some of the state wide report cards, but it is difficult to know how much faith to put into these.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,450 times
White Rodgers is pulling out and GDX must be in big trouble as they are not paying their bills around town. Industry appears to be suffering

Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 AM

83 posts, read 146,378 times
gdx is closing five plants, batesville is one of them.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,274 times
Default Schools

I grew up in Batesville and I would recommend BHS as far as schools, secondarily perhaps Southside or Newark. I should say that this is based upon experience from several years ago, so someone who has recent experience might have more to add.

It's a lovely town, employment has always been a bit of a problem. The cost of living is low, the local college infuses a bit of culture and all things considered, it wasn't a bad place to grow up. It is a SMALL town - expect to spend a few hours visiting every time you go to Wal-Mart and I have never heard so much gossip in my life. Though I don't think I'll ever move back I do enjoy visiting.

I've heard that there's a drug crime problem developing, but I'd check the crime rates for confirmation. My parents never locked their doors, they live in the country south of town, but they definitely do now. Again, someone who's a current resident could offer more information. I'd still say relative to the cities I've lived in since that were much bigger, Batesville is probably still the safest and I've never felt unsafe there at all. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 PM

1,210 posts, read 170,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
Batesville, Ark is okay for any North Central Arkansas city. It is the county seat of Independence County. The major employers are Tyson and Pilgrims Pride. Both companies contribute to a high Illegal Alien presence. Other major industry includes many OTR trucking companies, Mid-West Lime, White River Materials, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Home Depot and other building supply stores. Batesville is growing and local residents are trying to clamp down on the law breaking elements.

Night time is not as safe as it used to be. Gangs are springing up and strengthening as they are imported from Mexico, Dallas,TX, Little Rock,AR, Memphis,TN, and Saint Louis,MO. Visit the Independence County Sheriffs Office website at: Independence County Sheriff's Department

Yes, former major employers were Eastman-Kodak, White-Rogers, General Tire and some others. Their operations were moved elsewhere.

Construction outfits and related employee possibilities seem good for now.

Good luck on your search!
If the people of Batesville no that these companies are hiring illegals, And that is the cause of gang problems then the people of Batsville should start reporting this and report it often. Hold on to your town as long a you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas