U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,838 times

Advertisements

My husband applied to a plant in Osceola AR and we currently live west of Seattle, in a smaller town. We are originally from the high desert in California. So if the offer is good enough we might move to Marion, AR, or at least somewhere around there. Being from the west coast I know nothing about the south. I'm worried it'll be too humid for me, though we currently live in one of the most rainiest states but the summers sometimes get pretty dry so you don't notice much of the humidity. I've never gotten out of the shower and feel like I can never dry off, if that gives you a good example. From what I've read it seems very homey, christian, community and volunteer appropriate, which we LOVE. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas would be much appreciated! Should we look into some other town? I feel like it'll be a big move to a whole new world but I also am very open to change.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,695,746 times
Culture shock, you will have.

I'm not from that side of the state, but I will almost guarantee you it will be very humid. I have lived with humidity all of my life and I still can't take it on bad days. My wife says that I am a pansy though. lol.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM

43 posts, read 109,885 times
I grew up on that side of the state. It is humid. It is flat. Not very pretty to look at. I believe you will find much to be desired there. On the other hand, you are close to Memphis. It's going to be quite a change coming from Seattle to Marion. I wish I could say something nicer . I hope that job offer is one you can't refuse!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
I had to look it up to make sure where it was located. In my opinion, that area of Arkansas is the worst part of Arkansas. It reminds a lot of South Georgia...flat, rural and poor. Not a big fan. I am from Georgia so the humidity does not bother me as much as others, but it will certainly be warmer and more humid in the summers than what you are used to in Seattle. I would have to say that may be the least of your concerns.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,715 times
I too am moving from the NW to AR. I currently live in Tacoma and will be leaving this weekend for Ozark.

Though I lived in Van Buren, Ft. Smith and Ozark many, many years ago, I know nothing about Marion.

My first time back in about 25 years was in 08 and I must say I don't remember it being as humid as it was. It could be that it didn't bother me when I was much younger. I am also no longer used to the climate there. I have lived here for 21 years and have never considered it humid.

At least most houses/apartments in AR have AC. Something you rarely see in the NW.

That's about all I can offer. I haven't lived there in so long I can't give you any recommendations or advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or