U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM

678 posts, read 1,444,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-home View Post
This is such an important thing to know about university towns!

Now if you allow me to ask, are the people friendly there?, and i don't mean just not being racist, Because i like being around friendly people///

Thank you Hotair!
I think the UofA and Fayetteville in general is a very friendly place. People always seemed happy and willing to make small talk even though I didn't know most of them.

As far as racism, I hope you will have a very positive experience and tell your friends Arkansas is not full of racists. These kinds of stereotypes are as hurtful to many residents as racism is to others, and we always appreciate it when people help us shed those stereotypes by telling the truth! I knew several students from the "middle east" and countries nearby when I was at the UofA, a few of which wore Hijab and they never mentioned having any concerns or problems. I think they might have gotten a few second looks just because it is a very distinct clothing style (or when it was a 100 degrees and they were wearing it and people couldn't understand how they weren't dying of heat!), but nothing malicious. We had several professors that wore Hijab too, so it's not as if you'd be alone if you did choose to dress that way. As far as just being Arabic goes, no worries there. There are a decent number of students and faculty from arab countries and a number of student organizations related to them, so I think you'll be comfortable.

You didn't mention religious preference anywhere that I saw, but if you are of Islamic faith you might be interested in the Islamic Center of Northwest Arkansas, which is on the edge of the UofA campus (walking distance) and holds lots of community and educational activities in addition to worship services: ICNWA - ?????? ????? ????? ???? ? ??????*

Congratulations on your acceptance to the UofA and good luck with the move!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
This isnt a silly question at all. Thats a big move from Saudi Arabia to Fayetteville ,Arkansas USA. I will answer your question in the fashion of a typical American male. If you are half as hot looking as alot of Middle Eastern women seem to be, the boys at Razorback U will be very glad to meet you!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM

25 posts, read 68,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-home View Post
Good question my friend
but i never said i am worried about me being Muslim.

You fully understand me

Fayetteville is the most liberal place in Arkansas, you will be fine. Study hard, don't drink anything guys give you at a party.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 44,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_Dantist View Post
sweet-home, i undestood you fully too

I wish you to met no racist on your way, and good luck in your learnings!
Of course you did :-)
Thank you Russian!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Moderator cut: removed deleted quoted post

No doubt. I love NW Arkansas. It has a lot going for it, not the least of which is that there are a lot of people moving there from someplace else. But much like SW MO, there is an element of folks who are at the low end of the bell curve, intellectually speaking. You find them everywhere, not just Arkansas. While I am fairly certain that the OP will not have any problems, and will experience the same "friendly people" that you did, there is always the possibility that she might encounter some red-neck who doesn't understand the concept of common courtesy. It's better if she is prepared for all contingencies rather than going into this wearing rose-colored glasses.

20yrsinBranson
Yes, it's important for me to be prepared for every thing i may face in Fayetteville. And it's good to hear different opinions from you guys.

Thank you so much , but what is a red-neck?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, I have to somewhat disagree with you. She is going to college, not to work in a wharehouse. Yes, she will meet some who may have biased opinions but her surroundings will not be low end of the bell curve and we all know everywhere there are idiots that will judge people by their race, religion or whatever. The thing you said referred to people mistaking her for Hispanic, no, I doubt that will happen one in 100 times.

Nita
What is the best way to deal with raceist people?

Thanks Nita!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Yes there are plenty of judgemental people, I went to a church there that split in two over the potential hiring of an absolutely wonderful prospective new music director who was black. The half that wanted him left the church and formed a new one. This was in the early '90's. The college had many international students then but still there was a racial divide of sorts between white and black. In Alaska it wasn't that way although it still needed improvements.

Thank you Gobrien, for sharing this.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I think the UofA and Fayetteville in general is a very friendly place. People always seemed happy and willing to make small talk even though I didn't know most of them.

As far as racism, I hope you will have a very positive experience and tell your friends Arkansas is not full of racists. These kinds of stereotypes are as hurtful to many residents as racism is to others, and we always appreciate it when people help us shed those stereotypes by telling the truth! I knew several students from the "middle east" and countries nearby when I was at the UofA, a few of which wore Hijab and they never mentioned having any concerns or problems. I think they might have gotten a few second looks just because it is a very distinct clothing style (or when it was a 100 degrees and they were wearing it and people couldn't understand how they weren't dying of heat!), but nothing malicious. We had several professors that wore Hijab too, so it's not as if you'd be alone if you did choose to dress that way. As far as just being Arabic goes, no worries there. There are a decent number of students and faculty from arab countries and a number of student organizations related to them, so I think you'll be comfortable.

You didn't mention religious preference anywhere that I saw, but if you are of Islamic faith you might be interested in the Islamic Center of Northwest Arkansas, which is on the edge of the UofA campus (walking distance) and holds lots of community and educational activities in addition to worship services: ICNWA - ?????? ????? ????? ???? ? ??????*

Congratulations on your acceptance to the UofA and good luck with the move!
Well, i was born in a Muslim society, but i don't consider myself a traditional Muslim.

Thank you so much Thewizard16!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
This isnt a silly question at all. Thats a big move from Saudi Arabia to Fayetteville ,Arkansas USA. I will answer your question in the fashion of a typical American male. If you are half as hot looking as alot of Middle Eastern women seem to be, the boys at Razorback U will be very glad to meet you!
LOL

Thank you Capt. Dan!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedloser View Post
Fayetteville is the most liberal place in Arkansas, you will be fine. Study hard, don't drink anything guys give you at a party.
Wish me luck.
Thank you Trainedloser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas