U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM

29 posts, read 44,943 times

Advertisements

To All of you guys, please feel free to give me any advices or information you think i'll care about.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,576,433 times
Definition of redneck from Wikipedia:

For other uses, see Redneck (disambiguation).
Originally used in reference to poor, white farmers, Redneck is historically a derogatory slang term to refer to working class Southerners in the United States.[1] It is similar in meaning to "cracker" (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), "hillbilly" (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks)[2] and "white trash".[3][4] The most common American usage, referring to the poor rural white Southerner, is probably derived from individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sun. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin burned red by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[5] In recent decades the term expanded its meaning to mean bigoted, loutish, and opposed to modern ways, and has often been used to attack Southern conservatives and segregationists. At the same time, many members of the U.S. Southern community have set out to reclaim the word, using it as a self-identifier, and the term has also been claimed by individuals outside of the United States.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-home View Post
To All of you guys, please feel free to give me any advices or information you think i'll care about.

Thank you.
Do you like outdoor activities? The area you are moving to is home to lakes,mountains,rivers and country roads that will take you beautiful places. I dont picture Saudi arabia as a fishing hotspot, but fishing may be something you consider learning. It is a great way to relax and leave your worries behind for a few hours. And the entire state of Arkansas is an outdoors lovers paradise.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 AM

570 posts, read 1,364,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have not seen it. If you wear muslim garb, you may get a few second looks.
And you may get more than that.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM

25 posts, read 68,982 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Buy a coat, it's short but we do have winter here.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
I wonder if she has ever smelled a poultry farm?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM

678 posts, read 1,444,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
At the UofA, I highly doubt it. She's already said she doesn't wear hijab, but even if she did, there are quite a few others on campus that already do. It isn't as if she'd be the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Living in Fayetteville she still probably won't. Only time I ever smelled one was driving east out of Fayetteville (or Springdale) and then in the Huntsville area there was an odor. That's when you roll up the windows and turn on the AC! But just living in Fayetteville (or most of the actual cities in NWA) I doubt you'd ever smell one. A poorly maintained farm will smell bad and that smell will travel, but not that far.

trainedloser's advice is spot on- I don't know what your weather is traditionally like, but northwest Arkansas has a lot of variation from season to season. Summers are pretty hot and humid (if you're used to a dry heat, humidity will be unpleasant), winters can be cold and wet, but normally not too long. Spring and fall are just about as perfect as weather can get in my book though.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Definition of redneck from Wikipedia:

For other uses, see Redneck (disambiguation).
Originally used in reference to poor, white farmers, Redneck is historically a derogatory slang term to refer to working class Southerners in the United States.[1] It is similar in meaning to "cracker" (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), "hillbilly" (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks)[2] and "white trash".[3][4] The most common American usage, referring to the poor rural white Southerner, is probably derived from individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sun. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin burned red by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[5] In recent decades the term expanded its meaning to mean bigoted, loutish, and opposed to modern ways, and has often been used to attack Southern conservatives and segregationists. At the same time, many members of the U.S. Southern community have set out to reclaim the word, using it as a self-identifier, and the term has also been claimed by individuals outside of the United States.
Thanks.

Quote:
Do you like outdoor activities? The area you are moving to is home to lakes,mountains,rivers and country roads that will take you beautiful places. I dont picture Saudi arabia as a fishing hotspot, but fishing may be something you consider learning. It is a great way to relax and leave your worries behind for a few hours. And the entire state of Arkansas is an outdoors lovers paradise.
Yes i like it alot!
Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedloser View Post
Buy a coat, it's short but we do have winter here.
Thank you.

Quote:
LOL, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
At the UofA, I highly doubt it. She's already said she doesn't wear hijab, but even if she did, there are quite a few others on campus that already do. It isn't as if she'd be the only one.

Living in Fayetteville she still probably won't. Only time I ever smelled one was driving east out of Fayetteville (or Springdale) and then in the Huntsville area there was an odor. That's when you roll up the windows and turn on the AC! But just living in Fayetteville (or most of the actual cities in NWA) I doubt you'd ever smell one. A poorly maintained farm will smell bad and that smell will travel, but not that far.

trainedloser's advice is spot on- I don't know what your weather is traditionally like, but northwest Arkansas has a lot of variation from season to season. Summers are pretty hot and humid (if you're used to a dry heat, humidity will be unpleasant), winters can be cold and wet, but normally not too long. Spring and fall are just about as perfect as weather can get in my book though.
Temperature in Saudi Arabia could reach 56 degrees in the afternoon. So your summer is like our spring!

thanks alot!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 PM

678 posts, read 1,444,100 times
Quote:
Thanks.
Temperature in Saudi Arabia could reach 56 degrees in the afternoon. So your summer is like our spring!
Sure, but what's the humidity like? Dry heat doesn't stick to you like the humid Arkansas weather can, so it might even out.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
Sure, but what's the humidity like? Dry heat doesn't stick to you like the humid Arkansas weather can, so it might even out.
there is no humidity in my city, but in Jaddah could reach 90%
can you believe it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas