Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

29 posts, read 59,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I agree. Living around Hispanics most of my life and living around people from the mid east, they look almost nothing alike, nor do they act alike. This isn't meant to be a insult to any group, the two are just different. \

Nita
Yeah i agree with you two too

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
sorry, but they'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.

sweet-home, I hope you enjoy the UofA and Fayetteville! it's a beautiful campus and city.

I would have to agree.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-home View Post
i don't wear Hijab, or any kind of muslim clothes .
Well then, what paticulars of your appearance may say that you are muslim woman?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_Dantist View Post
Well then, what paticulars of your appearance may say that you are muslim woman?
i am guessing she is referring to her overall looks being mid eastern and most of us associate people from the mid east with Muslims.

Nita

Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM

29 posts, read 59,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_Dantist View Post
Good question my friend
but i never said i am worried about me being Muslim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i am guessing she is referring to her overall looks being mid eastern and most of us associate people from the mid east with Muslims.

Nita
You fully understand me

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
sorry, but they'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.
There is no shortage of stupid people.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,564 times
sweet-home, i undestood you fully too

I wish you to met no racist on your way, and good luck in your learnings!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Moderator cut: removed deleted quoted post

No doubt. I love NW Arkansas. It has a lot going for it, not the least of which is that there are a lot of people moving there from someplace else. But much like SW MO, there is an element of folks who are at the low end of the bell curve, intellectually speaking. You find them everywhere, not just Arkansas. While I am fairly certain that the OP will not have any problems, and will experience the same "friendly people" that you did, there is always the possibility that she might encounter some red-neck who doesn't understand the concept of common courtesy. It's better if she is prepared for all contingencies rather than going into this wearing rose-colored glasses.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-25-2011 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: removed deleted quoted post

Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No doubt. I love NW Arkansas. It has a lot going for it, not the least of which is that there are a lot of people moving there from someplace else. But much like SW MO, there is an element of folks who are at the low end of the bell curve, intellectually speaking. You find them everywhere, not just Arkansas. While I am fairly certain that the OP will not have any problems, and will experience the same "friendly people" that you did, there is always the possibility that she might encounter some red-neck who doesn't understand the concept of common courtesy. It's better if she is prepared for all contingencies rather than going into this wearing rose-colored glasses.

20yrsinBranson
sorry, I have to somewhat disagree with you. She is going to college, not to work in a wharehouse. Yes, she will meet some who may have biased opinions but her surroundings will not be low end of the bell curve and we all know everywhere there are idiots that will judge people by their race, religion or whatever. The thing you said referred to people mistaking her for Hispanic, no, I doubt that will happen one in 100 times.

Nita

Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Yes there are plenty of judgemental people, I went to a church there that split in two over the potential hiring of an absolutely wonderful prospective new music director who was black. The half that wanted him left the church and formed a new one. This was in the early '90's. The college had many international students then but still there was a racial divide of sorts between white and black. In Alaska it wasn't that way although it still needed improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas