U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times

Advertisements

Unlicensed open carry is in line with "keep and bear" and should certainly be allowed as it is our right. However, I prefer concealed carry so as to be more socially acceptable and not get shot in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM

570 posts, read 1,364,677 times
If we go open carry I hope there will be some training. With the CCW there is training that goes with it. without training there will be people that know nothing about guns or gun safety will be carrying. That is dangerous! Before anyone can carry a gun safety training is needed. Also people need to know the laws, There are things people that carry need to know. Without a gun safety how will they know when to and when not to use it.

I have had a CCW for a long time now, And when you come out of the CCW class you know something, And you know how to safety fire the gun.

If we have open carry I don't think I will, For the bad guy the person with the gun he can see is his first target. Nothing works like the good ol element of surprise.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 AM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The state police have reviewed the bill and they are against it. Not having read the bill, I would have to defer to the State police.
Police should never have a say over the rights of the people.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,955,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I would agree; however, I do respect their opinion as it relates to safety.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

678 posts, read 1,444,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I would agree; however, I do respect their opinion as it relates to safety.
As I mentioned though, the police aren't necessarily going to make a decision based solely off the citizen's safety though, they're going to look at how it would affect their line of work too, and provide a suggestion accordingly. No officer that doesn't currently have to deal with the "hassle" of open carry is going to recommend switching to it.

I concur with adysmom about training- I still think a permit based system is the way to go because of the education it requires. Concealed carry classes are thorough enough that the person has been walked through using the weapon by a qualified instructor, had practice aiming the weapon, has had all the safety features and dangers of a gun explained to them, and had a thorough background check. I think that process is a good idea for anyone that we're trusting to carry a weapon in public places, concealed or not. Hunter's have to go through safety courses before they get their permit too, so if something like open carry is approved, I hope they'll make it similarly strict on the education component.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM

8 posts, read 14,371 times
Awesome! I think this will lower random crimes.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,768,772 times
Quote:

I have to agree with this...I don't feel they can remain objective.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,359,915 times
Quote:
They don't.

They do, however, act in the welfare of the state on the privileges of the people.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
They don't.

They do, however, act in the welfare of the state on the privileges of the people.
The police have overstepped their bounds when they're attempting to influence laws to restrict people's civil rights.

In states where there are "may issue" permit systems and the police issue the permits, generally, only the well connected and wealthy get the permits. For instance, MA, HI, NY, NJ, MD, CA...and in some states, like WI which is an open carry only state, the police have effectively eliminated the right through abuse of citizens who exercise it. As I said, the police should have no say in this matter.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,356,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61987 View Post
You do realize that even CALIFORNIA allows open carry, right?
Open Carry for an UNLOADED Firearm only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or