U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
 
4,815 posts, read 5,711,485 times
Reputation: 2669

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh and I agree with you full force. I was pointing out how there seems to be so much stuff that some want to see removed. Maybe it is simply some want to return to the "good ole days"

Nita
This is how I view the Tea party. but that's for another thread.

I think it was in poor taste that the store did that. Kids are going to learn about that kind of stuff on their own or because of piers at school. I think many conservative parents are shielding their kids from stuff like this. This is the kind of stuff that leads the children to grow up with the wrong impression of the World. These kids will learn it wheather their parents guard the stuff they think is "bad".

I also agree with your point about them wanting to return to the old days. The older crowd (not saying this is you at all) for the most part (40+ years) are who join the Tea Party to "take back America". It (the Tea Party) used to represent small government, but now it's turned into this circa 1800's john crowe law, bible thumping, gun toting extremist group. These people want what they remember and don't want all this change with homosexuals, races etc. These people need to let go of all that and let their children decide what is or what isn't in their tastes.

I think if kids are exposed to the truth they would grow up tolerent because they never thought there was anything wrong or bad about certain races, orientations, etc so they will not exhibit bigoted views or behavior. I believe my generation is the generation of change,. In 20 years people of all races, orientations, income levels etc will be accepted throughout society.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 01-31-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
 
3,394 posts, read 3,471,072 times
Reputation: 3652
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
This is how I view the Tea party. but that's for another thread.

I think it was in poor taste that the store did that.
Indeed that is for another thread in another forum.

As for "poor taste," it's not a matter of taste, it was a business decision, likely based upon their customer base. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
 
3,394 posts, read 3,471,072 times
Reputation: 3652
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
One of the problems that becomes obvious, and it's not just M.H., but other retirement enclaves, that I have noted before, is that people relocate, and then bring the problems with them.

Once here, they want *all* of the services they had "back home".

They want to incorporate.

They want to have aldermen, or councilmen, and any other organization they can think of.

They want to get elected, and then set about changing all the things that drew them here in the first place.

They form clubs, named after the state they fled, so that they may associate with "their own kind", and talk about how great the fishing was in Michigan, or wherever they're from.

HOA's, ordinances, more ordinances, and committees to think up new ones.

It doesn't take long, and all of a sudden, they wake up and they're in "Little Duluth", and...........THEY'RE SURROUNDED BY ARKANSANS!!!

Then comes the complaining about having to deal with locals when going out to eat or go shopping, and the spearhead to try to get restaurants and grocery stores near them so they don't have to deal with the 'riff-raff'.

It was with great amusement during census time that I watched a shiny Buick drive through the woods and onto my farm, and a very wide-eyed older guy emerge.

I went outside and said, "You lost, hoss?" which he replied in the affirmative.

He was from one of the retirement villages, and had taken a temp census position, for "something to do".

To say he was not familiar with red dirt roads was an understatement.

He had a map drawn up by their team leader that showed a river running through my house, which was news to me.

He wanted to know how to get back to the highway, and I encouraged that he take another nitro pill before starting the journey.

Eight years.

Eight years he's lived 20 miles from me, and never been in the hills.

Found out he wasn't in Wisconsin no more.

Now, if I was a bettin' man, I reckon I'd wager that he won't be chasing census tomfoolery next time.

Those folks got allergies to this ol' red dirt.

Thank heaven.
I agree with this wholeheartedly! Sorry, I can't add any rep for you, either.

I know it's not unique to Arkansas, but it seems that oftentimes, when folks relocate, they bring with them (of course) their problems, attitudes, and preconceived notions. Instead of embracing their new home state, they try to recreate the old one they fled. Then if things don't go as expected, they blame the new state/city instead of looking in the mirror. People are curious creatures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Little Rock, AR
642 posts, read 905,044 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I think if kids are exposed to the truth they would grow up tolerent because they never thought their was anything wrong or bad about certain races, orientations, etc so they will not exhibit bigoted views or behavior. I believe my generation is the generation of change,. In 20 years people of all races, orientations, income levels etc will be accepted throughout society.
It's a nice thought, but I just don't see it happening. There are too many societal pressures, socioeconomic issues, religious disagreements, and natural differences between people to ever have the type of utopia you describe. Every country in the world has its own versions of racism/classism/discrimination, even if it's not explicitly obvious to the naked eye. Since humans have been around (well, almost the whole time anyway, if you believe in the Judeo-Christian history) there has been conflict and conflict leads to discrimination. Upbringing has a lot to do with it, but it's certainly not the sole cause.

We may not be as concerned with the color of a person's skin or sexual orientation in 20 years, but it's likely we'll have found new things to fight about and not like each other over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,176 posts, read 42,669,043 times
Reputation: 21684
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
It's a nice thought, but I just don't see it happening. There are too many societal pressures, socioeconomic issues, religious disagreements, and natural differences between people to ever have the type of utopia you describe. Every country in the world has its own versions of racism/classism/discrimination, even if it's not explicitly obvious to the naked eye. Since humans have been around (well, almost the whole time anyway, if you believe in the Judeo-Christian history) there has been conflict and conflict leads to discrimination. Upbringing has a lot to do with it, but it's certainly not the sole cause.

We may not be as concerned with the color of a person's skin or sexual orientation in 20 years, but it's likely we'll have found new things to fight about and not like each other over.
so very true. life changes, like it or not and yes, we will always find things to disagree with each other about, same as there will always be wars. Since the biblical days and before, this has been the case. I do have to add, as much as I think there are many things to be thankful for in our daily lives today, I do wish we could return to some of what we had 30, 40, or 50 years ago. The magazine cover didn't bother me as much as some that are sexual explicit bother me or the ones that have cover titles like< how to turn him on in bed, or 20 ways to make him want your body..I guess my old age is showing, I just wouldn't want to explain to my 3rd grader who is pround of her ability to read what some of this stuff means.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
4,045 posts, read 5,459,037 times
Reputation: 2207
I agree, I am tired of most women's magazines turning into how-to sex guides. And it's so one-sided too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
 
4,815 posts, read 5,711,485 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so very true. life changes, like it or not and yes, we will always find things to disagree with each other about, same as there will always be wars. Since the biblical days and before, this has been the case. I do have to add, as much as I think there are many things to be thankful for in our daily lives today, I do wish we could return to some of what we had 30, 40, or 50 years ago. The magazine cover didn't bother me as much as some that are sexual explicit bother me or the ones that have cover titles like< how to turn him on in bed, or 20 ways to make him want your body..I guess my old age is showing, I just wouldn't want to explain to my 3rd grader who is pround of her ability to read what some of this stuff means.

Nita
They learn about it at school from their piers. So I think there is nothing wrong with it. I do think it's only the older people who want everything like it was in the 60's (racism and prejudice included!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,176 posts, read 42,669,043 times
Reputation: 21684
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
They learn about it at school from their piers. So I think there is nothing wrong with it. I do think it's only the older people who want everything like it was in the 60's (racism and prejudice included!)
No, we do not want rasism or prejudice, what a narrow minded view you have. As for what they learn from friends, of course they learn from friends, so did we, but learning and discussing things with friends is a little different than hearing it from adults in a mixed classroom. And this came from my very macho son.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
 
4,815 posts, read 5,711,485 times
Reputation: 2669
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, we do not want rasism or prejudice, what a narrow minded view you have. As for what they learn from friends, of course they learn from friends, so did we, but learning and discussing things with friends is a little different than hearing it from adults in a mixed classroom. And this came from my very macho son.

Nita
I realize you don't want that but I'm sure there are those ignorant people who do feel that way about other races and such
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
 
1,653 posts, read 3,084,777 times
Reputation: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post

I believe my generation is the generation of change,. In 20 years people of all races, orientations, income levels etc will be accepted throughout society.


Heh....

I first said that in 1969 sitting with fellow members of S.D.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Students_for_a_Democratic_Society

Then I went on to expound that within a few years, marijuana would be legalized.

I then further discertated on the evils of the Republican party, love & peace, railed on what a masterpiece "Animal Farm" was, and I think that just prior to passing out, I uttered, "Workers of the world, unite".

From there, I won an all expenses paid vacation in Viet Nam, and, as Steve Earle stated in "Copperhead Road, "And I came home with a brand new plan".

Things change, fer sure, but not usually like you want them to.

I wish you luck with that gaze into the future, hoss, but as long as human beings are making the decisions based on the factors they have since the beginning of this nation, I, for one, ain't holding my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top