U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 5,847,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegahyperultrauber View Post
And again, so what that this stupid policy isn't unique to Arkansas?
Since this is the local Arkansas forum, it is, indeed logical and relevant, since you posted in this forum.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,094,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
While the o/p person uses the term in a mildly insulting way, it is not hate speech in any sense of the word. And it does not even approach the historically derogatory and explosive connotations of the "N" word. There is no comparison or similarity whatsoever.
Ya think?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Isn't it only recently that you could even buy wine in a grocery store? When I first moved to Fayetteville, to buy drinks in a restaurant you had to join a private club for a nominal fee. Things are slowly inching toward more freedoms in purchasing alcohol.
In Texas when we first moved there you had to have that little card (it costs about $3 a year) in order to buy liqouor. We still have to belong to "the club" here in some areas but there is no charge. You just sign the book and you belong. It is really a joke. As for buying is the grocery store, it can only be sold here in the grocery store if there is a special entrance and exit. Of course when we lived in Va grocery stores could not sell any alcohol.

Nita

Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: rude/calling out moderator in open forum

Should constructive criticism not be allowed? Must negative information always be swept under the rug, never to be discussed? Problems are to be ignored and allowed to fester?

And again, so what that this stupid policy isn't unique to Arkansas? That is not a logical line of argument.

"but I bet that border state liquor store owners pump money into the opposition efforts, too."

I find this particular policy quite disagreeable, and how it wastes people's time, energy, and gasoline. But unhappy? No, I am not such a delicate flower.

"but I bet that border state liquor store owners pump money into the opposition efforts, too."

You'e be correct. It did not happen locally, I believe, but another part of the state. Missouri liquor stores hid behind a front group in an attempt to prevent a county from going wet. I can't find a link at the moment, but it was a rather sad and pathetic story.
What is your point and why did you suddenly decide to bring the subjec tup period?

It is hard for me to understand why you care or why you bother to comment on our laws.
Nita

Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I have, and he seemed to be owned by the Springdale liquor baron. A town that until recently had a one-man, one-company alcohol monopoly.

I can't vote here, so there's that too. I'm sure the man saw me as some sort of Seattle-based, godless barbarian.
why are you using the word "here" instead of "there"? You don't live here, you have said that already.

Nita

Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM

25 posts, read 55,399 times
My opinion--They had blue laws in Colo. up until last year. I grew up in Ark. and Co. Personally, I liked having a day/ week liquor wasn't sold. It represented in a small way respect; taking a break. Sad to see them go. And for everyone who wanted liquor, you knew you had to get it on Saturdays. You didn't hear people complain about it. It was like the mail doesn't come on Sundays, so you allow for that when mailing bills and such. We have so little respect in our society for anything these days. That was my experience anyway-

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM

837 posts, read 1,938,913 times
Quote:
As for buying is the grocery store, it can only be sold here in the grocery store if there is a special entrance and exit.
you mean in the city there? because that's not the case in Little Rock, and it's the first I've heard of it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 14,415 times
you can buy it online..just that the charges would be pretty high

Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 4,786,729 times
LOL... Why can't I buy any beer/liquor/wine in my county (Benton)? This "dry county" concept never made any sense to me at all. Oh well... I guess Missouri welcomes my money with open arms.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,698,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor.young49 View Post
you can buy it online..just that the charges would be pretty high
ehhhh... Who delivers on Sunday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas