U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,970,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegahyperultrauber View Post
Moderator cut: rude
Read my comment more closely. This policy makes you _look like_ hillbillies; I'm quite aware that the area's reality does not match the area's stereotype.

Re "it's like that in other places". Well, yes, it is, and that fact doesn't really need to be pointed out. It's also not like that in most sophisticated, wealthy, desirable places.

It's the area that needs to adjust, to what it's become and to what it aspires to be.

Nmnita: No I don't live here, but I do travel here quite often for work and for family. I spend a good three months out of the year here. What of it?
From this post I would say you have a dislike of both "hillbillies" AND poor people. They have to live near you? POOR HILLBILLIES!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM

19 posts, read 89,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
From this post I would say you have a dislike of both "hillbillies" AND poor people. They have to live near you? POOR HILLBILLIES!
I'm no fan of hillbillies, or of dumb liquor policies that make people look like them. Why would I be? A hillbilly, by definition, is uneducated, lazy, stupid, backward, permanently poverty-stricken, and inbred. Why would I "like" them? Most especially I do not support behaviors and policies that tend to create and keep people in a hillbilly-type condition. They're not some de-novo phenomenon.

The poor? I have no problems with them, as a matter of fact I used to be one of them. I support social-democratic wealth transfer policies to improve their living situations and get them out of poverty.

From your post I would say that you do not.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,956,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I didn't know MO sold on Sundays.

I am just happy to be out of Crawford County where I had to drive to Fort Smith to buy alcohol every day of the week.
Amen brother...pardon the pun.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,768,772 times
Quote:
I'm no fan of hillbillies, or of dumb liquor policies that make people look like them. Why would I be? A hillbilly, by definition, is uneducated, lazy, stupid, backward, permanently poverty-stricken, and inbred. Why would I "like" them? Most especially I do not support behaviors and policies that tend to create and keep people in a hillbilly-type condition. They're not some de-novo phenomenon.

The poor? I have no problems with them, as a matter of fact I used to be one of them. I support social-democratic wealth transfer policies to improve their living situations and get them out of poverty.

What's with the stereotyping???? Actually a hillbilly by definition a term referring to certain people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States, primarily Appalachia but also the Ozarks.

Not all "hillbillies" are uneducated, lazy, stupid, backward, permanently poverty stricken, or inbread. Many of these so called hillbillies are very smart, hardworking, have chosen a slower way of life, and might be the richest people you ever meet.

I would much rather hang out with a hillbilly than any uppity person any day.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,093,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
What's with the stereotyping???? Actually a hillbilly by definition a term referring to certain people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States, primarily Appalachia but also the Ozarks.

Not all "hillbillies" are uneducated, lazy, stupid, backward, permanently poverty stricken, or inbread. Many of these so called hillbillies are very smart, hardworking, have chosen a slower way of life, and might be the richest people you ever meet.

Same here sherrenee

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,470,200 times
Quote:

I would disagree with your definition as being inbred is certainly not a requirement to be a hillbilly.

What about our sophisticated European friends who reside in countries that don't permit shops to be open on Sundays. Are they hillbillies?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM

69,315 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post

boy you can say that again: I have known many Hillbillies, or call them Rednecks if you prefer that would bend over backwards for those they care about and maybe a few they don't care about. Yes, some are educated and or have money as well. Give me "the plain ole counry boy" anyday over the self centered snob that puts themselves in front of everyone else or who judges people by where they live or how educated they may be.

After living most of our lives in large metro areas, playing the corporate game and stressing over many things, we love our quiet life among the hillbillies.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,956,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy you can say that again: I have known many Hillbillies, or call them Rednecks if you prefer that would bend over backwards for those they care about and maybe a few they don't care about. Yes, some are educated and or have money as well. Give me "the plain ole counry boy" anyday over the self centered snob that puts themselves in front of everyone else or who judges people by where they live or how educated they may be.

After living most of our lives in large metro areas, playing the corporate game and stressing over many things, we love our quiet life among the hillbillies.

You know it is the label game. I don't know if I want to play. I think everyone has their own definition of what a hillbilly or Redneck is these days.

The fact is that it was more than likely not hillbillies by anyones definition. The hillbillies have no real political clout. The reason for the blue laws are based on religious groups...baptist etc, but are sometimes funded by those with financial interests. It is pretty much that simple. Most hillbillies that I know don't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas