Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I would have to say calling people hillbillies because you don't agree with something is allot like using the N word. Used very much the same way. Moderator cut: discussing moderation
While the o/p person uses the term in a mildly insulting way, it is not hate speech in any sense of the word. And it does not even approach the historically derogatory and explosive connotations of the "N" word. There is no comparison or similarity whatsoever.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegahyperultrauber View Post
To _cook with_, mind you, not even to drink.

This policy makes you all look like hillbillies. There's a big university here (nwa), major employers, half a million people, even some museums and arts centers.

Time to grow up, move forward and join something approaching the modern era.
I wonder why your only post on the Arkansas forum is an insult. Although an archaic law, it's hardly unique to Arkansas.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: rude
Read my comment more closely. This policy makes you _look like_ hillbillies; I'm quite aware that the area's reality does not match the area's stereotype.

Re "it's like that in other places". Well, yes, it is, and that fact doesn't really need to be pointed out. It's also not like that in most sophisticated, wealthy, desirable places.

It's the area that needs to adjust, to what it's become and to what it aspires to be.

Nmnita: No I don't live here, but I do travel here quite often for work and for family. I spend a good three months out of the year here. What of it?

It is usually the person that adjust to the area not the other way around.

Last edited by sherrenee; 01-31-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Arkansas is one of 14 states that bull-headedly clings to the Prohibition relics of Blue Laws. At least you don't live in Indiana, one of only three states that maintain a ban on all beer, wine and liquor sales on Sundays. I'm totally sure this allows baby Jesus to sleep soundly at night, or whatever the rationale is.

Yippy-kye-yay!
As your profile indicates you reside in Lafayette, then you should know that you can still buy by the glass in restaurants on Sundays in Indiana.

Is it the same in Arkansas?

In Indiana the biggest supporters of the ban on Sunday stores sales is, interestingly, liquor store owners. I don't doubt that religion plays a role in the Sunday store ban in Arkansas, but I bet that border state liquor store owners pump money into the opposition efforts, too.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
It is usually the person that adjust the the area not the other way around.
Agreed. But I think this person is an unhappy visitor rather than an unhappy resident.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Isn't it only recently that you could even buy wine in a grocery store? When I first moved to Fayetteville, to buy drinks in a restaurant you had to join a private club for a nominal fee. Things are slowly inching toward more freedoms in purchasing alcohol.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 98,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I wonder why your only post on the Arkansas forum is an insult. Although an archaic law, it's hardly unique to Arkansas.
Moderator cut: rude/calling out moderator in open forum

Should constructive criticism not be allowed? Must negative information always be swept under the rug, never to be discussed? Problems are to be ignored and allowed to fester?

And again, so what that this stupid policy isn't unique to Arkansas? That is not a logical line of argument.

"but I bet that border state liquor store owners pump money into the opposition efforts, too."

I find this particular policy quite disagreeable, and how it wastes people's time, energy, and gasoline. But unhappy? No, I am not such a delicate flower.

"but I bet that border state liquor store owners pump money into the opposition efforts, too."

You'e be correct. It did not happen locally, I believe, but another part of the state. Missouri liquor stores hid behind a front group in an attempt to prevent a county from going wet. I can't find a link at the moment, but it was a rather sad and pathetic story.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-31-2011 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: rude/discussing moderator action in open forum

Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
To properly convey constructive criticism, it's best not to insert inflammatory comments such as name calling even if you qualify it with the word "like" as a comparison. If the liquor laws bother you, contact a state legislator.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 PM

19 posts, read 98,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
To properly convey constructive criticism, it's best not to insert inflammatory comments such as name calling even if you qualify it with the word "like" as a comparison. If the liquor laws bother you, contact a state legislator.
I have, and he seemed to be owned by the Springdale liquor baron. A town that until recently had a one-man, one-company alcohol monopoly.

I can't vote here, so there's that too. I'm sure the man saw me as some sort of Seattle-based, godless barbarian.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I can't vote here, so there's that too. I'm sure the man saw me as some sort of Seattle-based, godless barbarian.
Or perhaps simply not one of his constituents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas