U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,984 times

Advertisements

Hi Ya'll, We have been down here in the flat lands too long. We recently vacationed in Ar. & put a contract on property in the Bergman area close to Harrison. We own & operate a vintage sewing & quilt shop here in Fl. Do you think this type of business would do well in Harrison? Any information about this area will be appreciated. We are looking forward to getting back to the hills & four seasons.
All the best hogwardbound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 PM

654 posts, read 1,552,766 times
Harrison.. it is a great small town, very pretty setting with the hills and all. Fairly mild four season climate, but summers can sometimes drag on and be steamy. It has been a while since I've been back to the area. I grew up about 30 miles to the east, south of Bull Shoals Lake. I love the Ozarks area, but it could be a little more tolerant. Coming into Arkansas toward Harrison from Missouri the first thing you see when you cross the border is the adopt a highway sign.. next two miles by the KKK. Hmmm. That being said, you can't judge everyone by a small number of people. I'm not sure about the quilting business. You mentioned Bergman too. I don't know if you have kids or if you do if they play basketball, but Bergman is a kick a** school in basketball, especially the girls team.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-05-2006, 03:23 PM

18 posts, read 58,578 times
Mountain View, AR, would be very receptive to your business I would think. There are lots of antiques and crafts things there. I'm not sure about Harrison. Eureka Springs is an antiquey (if there IS such a word!) town. You might check it out before deciding.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,362 times
Sounds more like a fit for Eureka Springs, quilts and Victorian architecture.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:28 AM

44 posts, read 172,811 times
Default About those quilts....

I live in the Bergman area too, and have lived here all my life. The quilting business would, I think, be a great line of work to do from home, and then sell to shops in Branson AND Eureka. Years ago, I had a little goofy craft idea, and made a good living off a couple of stores in Branson.

I'd say, go for it!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,704 times
I am from Harrison Arkansas, which is 7 miles from Bergman. That kind of business would go very well there. As far as I know, I've only ever seen one quilt store there and I bought one myself for $150. There are alot of people there that still value traditional things like that, plus you can sell them in Branson and Eureka like sbernard said above. Bergman is a quiet spot too, I think you'd like it.
I'm in Florida now : )

Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,033,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Harrison.. it is a great small town, very pretty setting with the hills and all. Fairly mild four season climate, but summers can sometimes drag on and be steamy. It has been a while since I've been back to the area. I grew up about 30 miles to the east, south of Bull Shoals Lake. I love the Ozarks area, but it could be a little more tolerant. Coming into Arkansas toward Harrison from Missouri the first thing you see when you cross the border is the adopt a highway sign.. next two miles by the KKK. Hmmm. That being said, you can't judge everyone by a small number of people. Try looking at Moderator cut: link removed. You can compare Harrison directly with the place you are leaving to see how it stacks up in all sorts of categories. I'm not sure about the quilting business. You mentioned Bergman too. I don't know if you have kids or if you do if they play basketball, but Bergman is a kick a** school in basketball, especially the girls team.
I don't know if the Klan being in Harrison is good or bad but I doubt it does any harm. But maybe these gang types driving into Harrison see there highway clean up signs may think twice about trying to start gangs in Harrison. And if that is true they can move into my town anytime.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 04:17 AM..

Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,301 times
I would think that a quilt shop that makes them would not do well, branson has one on every corner and sells queens and kings with two shams, for 89$, they are made off shore and brought in for sale. there must be 30 quilt shops in branson, and every antiuqe store in harrison [I have been in every one] sells quilts. I found one quilt store in mt. Ida that has made on site quilts, I would not buy them as the price was 400$ and up. You just cant compete with that asia labor mkt.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,033,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlosung View Post
I would think that a quilt shop that makes them would not do well, branson has one on every corner and sells queens and kings with two shams, for 89$, they are made off shore and brought in for sale. there must be 30 quilt shops in branson, and every antiuqe store in harrison [I have been in every one] sells quilts. I found one quilt store in mt. Ida that has made on site quilts, I would not buy them as the price was 400$ and up. You just cant compete with that asia labor mkt.
My wife bought a big quilt from Harrison.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 PM

21 posts, read 75,587 times
Default Quilt Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
My wife bought a big quilt from Harrison.
Hi junkman18, Good for you. We have to find a way to put a stop to the trade problems we have. It is killing our country, except for the rich, who are profiting from it. We should put a $311.00 tarriff on that $89.00 quilt from asia and make up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas