U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's Your Fave Arkansas Metro?
Little Rock-N. Little Rock 11 35.48%
Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville 16 51.61%
Ft. Smith-Van Buren 1 3.23%
Texarkana 2 6.45%
Jonesboro 1 3.23%
Hot Springs 3 9.68%
Pine Bluff 0 0%
Conway? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 PM

674 posts, read 1,311,771 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite Arkansas metro and why? I love the NWA area because the people are so nice and it's a progressive area. I'd also say Texarkana because it has changed a lot in the last 12 years or so as far as growth and because it's my hometown. I added Conway as a metro. I know it's approaching 50,000 in population but not sure if it's own metro or grouped with Little Rock.

Last edited by Darbro; 01-31-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
I do believe that Conway is part of the Little Rock MSA.

I voted for Jonesboro just because someone had to. Best mosquitos in the entire state.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Oh ok. I had thought about West Memphis but it's basically an extension of Memphis and wouldn't make since to add it.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
When I think of the word 'metro', Little Rock is the only place in Arkansas that remotely lives up to that description. NWA technically is one I guess, but it's such a weird conglomeration of towns that I have a hard time calling it a metro in the traditional big-city sense.
The rest are just small towns that serve as regional hubs for their part of the state but I guess they're calling everything a metropolitan area these days.
Conway and Pine Bluff are considered a part of Little Rock's MSA. Hot Springs probably should be by those standards, but as far as I know it's still it's own.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM

529 posts, read 1,403,155 times
LR is the only thing that could really be considered "metro". NWA wishes it could be.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Well by the government's definition of a metro is this:

[LEFT]Metropolitan Statistical Areas[/LEFT]
[LEFT]An MSA consists of one or more counties that contain a city of 50,000 or
more inhabitants,
or contain a Census Bureau-defined urbanized area (UA)
and have a total population of at least 100,000 (75,000 in New England).
Counties containing the principal concentration of population—the largest
city and surrounding densely settled area—are components of the MSA.
Additional counties qualify to be included by meeting a specified level of
commuting to the counties containing the population concentration and
by meeting certain other requirements of metropolitan character, such as[/LEFT]
a specified minimum population density or percentage of the population

Here's the link: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/GARM/Ch13GARM.pdf

All the cities I listed pretty much meet those conditions.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
meh. I know the definition says differently, but LR is the only place in AR that feels like an actual city. All the other places feel like suburbs that are missing their city.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 PM

111 posts, read 326,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
meh. I know the definition says differently, but LR is the only place in AR that feels like an actual city. All the other places feel like suburbs that are missing their city.
Helena-West Helena feels like Detroit.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
Helena-West Helena feels like Detroit.
lol. Springdale feels like Monterrey.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 AM

678 posts, read 1,444,100 times
Eh, this is a rough one. Little Rock gets my vote as best "metro" because, as others have said, it's the only place in Arkansas that actually feels like a decent sized city and has the density to demand the "metro" moniker (in my opinion, of course). NWA would be my vote as best "metro" to live in however, due to really low cost of living, relatively few traffic issues, low crime, and Fayetteville's superior entertainment district and fun atmosphere. I like both, but they're both very different and have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Texarkana is too small to be a real metro in my opinion, as is Jonesboro and Hot Springs. Jonesboro and Texarkana are significant regional anchors for their parts of the state, and Hot Springs is a beautiful touristy city, but there's no real "metro" to any of them. Fort-Smith Van Buren I'm okay with considering a real metro due to the population and the way it is put together. Conway is in the Little Rock MSA, and Pine Bluff is part of the Little Rock CSA, but Pine Bluff barely warrants a "metro" consideration (once again, in my opinion) anymore with its declining population and relevance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or