U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 AM

2,398 posts, read 4,787,219 times

Advertisements

What are your experiences with snow/ice removal on roadways here?
I moved here from a state that experienced snow extensively during the winter, and plowing/keeping the roads clear were number one priority.
With our recent storms, is the snow removal on roads normal? Is it because they do not budget enough money for snow/ice removal? Do they ever plow the on/off ramps on I-540 in Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville? I hate complaining, but the roads just seem ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:49 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
What are your experiences with snow/ice removal on roadways here?
I moved here from a state that experienced snow extensively during the winter, and plowing/keeping the roads clear were number one priority.
With our recent storms, is the snow removal on roads normal? Is it because they do not budget enough money for snow/ice removal? Do they ever plow the on/off ramps on I-540 in Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville? I hate complaining, but the roads just seem ridiculous!
they can't begin to budget enough money to handle a record breaking year like this year or last. When you live someplace that is accustom to heavy winter storms it is a little different. We have many years here with no more than 6 inches of snow the entire year. Here in Bella Vista they do an excellent job considering the situation. Right now the only really horrible areas are within the neighborhoods, the main roads are pretty clear. Heck, when we lived in No Va there were times during record years we couldn't get out for a few days.
I know it is hard to live with, none of us like it, but I don't think most would want to pay too much more in taxes to cover the once or twice a year this happens. Even as bad as it was last year we were never totally snowed in. This is our 4th winter here and the first time it has been quite this bad.

Nita

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,039,311 times
A year like this (or rather, that last week and the coming one) is difficult to predict and deal with for anyone (I am from Switzerland, so know something about winter weather). But When we came here in late 2008, we were told that the early 2009 ice storm was extremely unusual. Then last year, we were told that year's winter was extremely unusual in how cold and snowy it got. Now we are told the same this year. When does "extremely unusual" become normal?

I wish the local car shops woulod at least carry winter tyres and snow chains.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
A year like this (or rather, that last week and the coming one) is difficult to predict and deal with for anyone (I am from Switzerland, so know something about winter weather). But When we came here in late 2008, we were told that the early 2009 ice storm was extremely unusual. Then last year, we were told that year's winter was extremely unusual in how cold and snowy it got. Now we are told the same this year. When does "extremely unusual" become normal?

I wish the local car shops woulod at least carry winter tyres and snow chains.
I am thinking pretty much the same thing, but the ice storm really was short lived even though it kept us inside for a few days. Here in BV (as you know) we have hills, hills and more hills so we didn't get out that year for 3 days I think. Last year we had no problems. Our granddaughter has lived in NWA since 7 years and rarely complained until last year. Next year we might be griping cause we don't have enough winter.

We spent 13 years in the Dallas area and only saw about 3 or 4 really bad ice and snow storms, but they are getting hammered as well and did last year. Just a couple of days ago, the little town we lived in in NM had temps at -15. They rarely see days or nights much below 20.

Nita

Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM

43 posts, read 110,030 times
I was just in Boston when they got 2 feet of snow. Having been born and raised in Arkansas, I was completely to shocked to see how quickly they removed the snow from the roads. Not only that, but as soon as the snow stopped, the entire neighborhood was out shoveling the driveways and sidewalks. It's just not something you are likely to see around here. I recall last February being pretty snowy as well. It seemed to snow every week last year. This winter has been unusually bad. I was very frustrated a few days because it seemed the roads weren't being cared for much at all. Of course, living here you know that sometimes you just have to wait it out because eventually it will get warm enough to melt on its own. They do a lot better nowadays than they used to. It used to be that the snow wasn't going anywhere until the sun came out.

Don't even get me started on budgeting. I love Arkansas because I was raised here, but it's a slowly progressing state. No one wants to pay more taxes for more services, it's as simple as that.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh0416 View Post
I was just in Boston when they got 2 feet of snow. Having been born and raised in Arkansas, I was completely to shocked to see how quickly they removed the snow from the roads. Not only that, but as soon as the snow stopped, the entire neighborhood was out shoveling the driveways and sidewalks. It's just not something you are likely to see around here. I recall last February being pretty snowy as well. It seemed to snow every week last year. This winter has been unusually bad. I was very frustrated a few days because it seemed the roads weren't being cared for much at all. Of course, living here you know that sometimes you just have to wait it out because eventually it will get warm enough to melt on its own. They do a lot better nowadays than they used to. It used to be that the snow wasn't going anywhere until the sun came out.

Don't even get me started on budgeting. I love Arkansas because I was raised here, but it's a slowly progressing state. No one wants to pay more taxes for more services, it's as simple as that.
Leigh,

I understand what you are saying about other areas, taxes, shoveling, etc. I also have friends in Boston who sould disagree with you on how fast their neightborhoods (i am talking side roads, not highways) were cleaned off this time. The reason has been the unusual amount, but you are right, they do a better job than we do., they are better prepared because snow is a big part of their winter life. Here, this is not the case. Yes, last year it seemed like it snowed from Christmas day until the damn rains started the first of April, just to be replaced by days in the 90s for months. The biggest difference with the snow last year, the temps were much warmer. That has hurt us so bad this year. Day in and day out of record lows. My granddaughter lived in OKC, they too and Tulsa are fighting this right now. So, I really don't think it has a lot to do with tax money. Some things do, this does not. It would be a total waste of money to buy more snow removal equiptment for the amount we normally get. If you have lived here your entire life you know the past few years have been unusual.

Now spending money on taxes is another story. I happen to think we are taxed enough. If you can think of a way of cutting some taxes to provide for some better services lets hear them, but this is a different subject altogether.

Nita

Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM

43 posts, read 110,030 times
Nita,

It has been an unusually bad winter. I think people are just getting very impatient about not being to get around the way we're so used to. The road crews did an excellent job last year and have done an excellent job for many years now removing snow and treating roads as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I believe we have become spoiled to that...I know I have anyway. Sure, there is only so much you can do with ice...still, it's frustrating.

Arkansas certainly is not "Taxachusetts" by any stretch of the imagination. It's definitely more affordable to live here because of that. I certainly don't have all the answers...I would find it hard to make a cut anywhere for an extra snow plow! However, I am not opposed to paying higher taxes if my community needs it.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,474,998 times
They do a much better job cleaning the roads just across the border in Missouri. The counties in Arkansas that border Missouri should do better at snow removal.
Those that do not like the snow don't have to wait long because before you know it severe weather season will be here.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 PM

678 posts, read 1,445,528 times
A lot of this is equipment- as a state that does not experience as much winter weather as even Missouri, it doesn't have the number of trucks, the amount of salt/sand/etc., or the budget allocated for road clearing that more northern states do. Iowa did a pretty good job at getting highways cleared, but they have a whole lot of other budget issues that I wouldn't care to have in Arkansas, so I'll call it a wash on that... At any rate, it's simply not in the state's best financial interest to buy a lot of plow trucks and road clearing materials and maintain and store those things if you don't need them very often, so they only have enough equipment to deal with the relatively minor storms they historically get. If you think of the state government like a business, it's the fiscally sensible thing to do, but yes it can be inconvenient when the roads stay snow covered for a couple days or only major thoroughfares get much attention.

I've honestly been surprised at how quickly Little Rock was able to clear some of the more major city streets after the snow that happened a couple weeks ago. They had them cleared before I-630 had been touched, but they also probably have a list of priority streets and I guess I'm "lucky" enough to live around a few of them.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
A lot of this is equipment- as a state that does not experience as much winter weather as even Missouri, it doesn't have the number of trucks, the amount of salt/sand/etc., or the budget allocated for road clearing that more northern states do. Iowa did a pretty good job at getting highways cleared, but they have a whole lot of other budget issues that I wouldn't care to have in Arkansas, so I'll call it a wash on that... At any rate, it's simply not in the state's best financial interest to buy a lot of plow trucks and road clearing materials and maintain and store those things if you don't need them very often, so they only have enough equipment to deal with the relatively minor storms they historically get. If you think of the state government like a business, it's the fiscally sensible thing to do, but yes it can be inconvenient when the roads stay snow covered for a couple days or only major thoroughfares get much attention.

I've honestly been surprised at how quickly Little Rock was able to clear some of the more major city streets after the snow that happened a couple weeks ago. They had them cleared before I-630 had been touched, but they also probably have a list of priority streets and I guess I'm "lucky" enough to live around a few of them.
\
We finally got one car out yesterday. Shortly after that the snow plow came by so now we will be able to move the other one out of the garage this morning. Thank God, I never thought I would get tired of being on the damn computer, but when you don't go outside, except to get the paper for a week just the thought of going out is like thinking about taking your next vacation. We were surprised to see the plow yesterday as we live in a very remote part of BV and a very small street.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas