Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 AM

154 posts, read 679,561 times

Advertisements

This is a public forum with topics open to debate and the opinions of all should be welcome and respected whether you agree or disagree. The OP asked a legitimate question - which went unanswered by most replys.

Last edited by boulder; 07-30-2007 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
This is a public forum with topics open to debate and the opinions of all should be welcome and respected whether you agree or disagree. The OP asked a legitimate question - which went unanswered by post replys.

Boulder, I think I agree with you - opinions should be welcome and respected if presented in that light.....but basically telling someone to go away and the responder telling them to go to hell isn't very respectful, is it?

I think the OP got her questions answered - perhaps not in the way we might have liked, but the answers are there to every single question. It's the presentation that is lacking, on all sides.

I don't care - I wouldn't know any of you people if you banged into me with your grocery cart, so what I say can be anything I feel, I suppose - but being civil to one another should be the golden rule, whether you are hiding behind the anonimity of a blue screen or not...and if you want controversy, take your statements to the appropriate forum. Legitimate questions should be posed in legitimate format, and answers should be as such and at least on the same acreage as the topic. Being somewhat polite is part of being in the South - THAT is one thing the Southerners I know pride themselves on...so make of that what you will.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
.....but basically telling someone to go away and the responder telling them to go to hell isn't very respectful, is it?
I took the OP's statement "So y'all go to hell, ya hear?" as just light-hearted banter ... then again, I'm laid back and saw the humor in it and didn't take it to heart. But to those more serious, no it is not respectful dialogue.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
IVe been to hell, Hell MI that is, made me glad to come back to AR.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,943 times
Seems both sides went a little wrong on this question, congrats should go to Sam and Boulder for being the voice of reason on this thread. The Op definately started off in a reverse racism ploy from the first post, she could have asked her needs in alot less explosive fashion and probably received the answer she wanted. Then a few of you seemed to go crazy trying to prove everything she was prejudice about, lol, am I missing something? Is it good to be backwoods and rebel flag waving, you may have a right to do it, but there's no doubt your buying a certain dogma when you do it.

On the other hand, can you imagine the looks a single white person wondering around Korea would get? There are always going to be those that are going to dislike for dislike's sake. When you suggests that Georgetown, Tx is a bastion of racism, I have to chuckle, it's in the most liberal metro in Texas(I know, I know, that ain't saying much, but we do have a fair share of tree huggers down there).

If you're still looking at this forum Merryberry, i think NWA would be just fine for you, but if you're looking for prejudice my hunch is that it will find you.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Seems both sides went a little wrong on this question, congrats should go to Sam and Boulder for being the voice of reason on this thread. The Op definately started off in a reverse racism ploy from the first post, she could have asked her needs in alot less explosive fashion and probably received the answer she wanted. Then a few of you seemed to go crazy trying to prove everything she was prejudice about, lol, am I missing something? Is it good to be backwoods and rebel flag waving, you may have a right to do it, but there's no doubt your buying a certain dogma when you do it.

On the other hand, can you imagine the looks a single white person wondering around Korea would get? There are always going to be those that are going to dislike for dislike's sake. When you suggests that Georgetown, Tx is a bastion of racism, I have to chuckle, it's in the most liberal metro in Texas.

If you're still looking at this forum Merryberry, i think NWA would be just fine for you, but if you're looking for prejudice my hunch is that it will find you.
DFW, that is where I picked up on maybe it is her attitude as much as others, when she mentioned Georgetown. yes, if you are looking for prejudice, it certainly can be found anywhere in the world.

boulder, I do appreciate both you and Sam trying to get us back on track, I also think the OP opened up the cans of worms by the title of her thread. From there on it indicated she was asking for answers she may not like. If she wanted honest answers most of started out trying to give her what she wanted, but it wasn't what she wanted to hear. I would rather be up front than sugar coat everything.

As for her comments, I am glad you took them lightly, I found them to be totally insulting. Light humor, dry sense of humor, etc can be fun, insults are not fun. BTW, I, normally am pretty laid back as well. Just ask my husband. He sometimes wonders if I had a serious bone in my body and why I take most things so lightly: 49 years of marrige, he still can't figure it out.

Nita

Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 AM

354 posts, read 324,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
DFW, that is where I picked up on maybe it is her attitude as much as others, when she mentioned Georgetown. yes, if you are looking for prejudice, it certainly can be found anywhere in the world.

boulder, I do appreciate both you and Sam trying to get us back on track, I also think the OP opened up the cans of worms by the title of her thread. From there on it indicated she was asking for answers she may not like. If she wanted honest answers most of started out trying to give her what she wanted, but it wasn't what she wanted to hear. I would rather be up front than sugar coat everything.

As for her comments, I am glad you took them lightly, I found them to be totally insulting. Light humor, dry sense of humor, etc can be fun, insults are not fun. BTW, I, normally am pretty laid back as well. Just ask my husband. He sometimes wonders if I had a serious bone in my body and why I take most things so lightly: 49 years of marrige, he still can't figure it out.

Nita
I agree and it would not have gotten to the point it did had she tried to be nice, but as her posts prove she was not and she felt the need to insult everyone again.

BTW, if one believes that because someone likes the Confederate flag is following a dogma then that someone needs to get over worrying about what others think or feel since most likely it would be wrong anyway.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 AM

"eatin' some bad ass fried catfish" .... that comment made me laugh out loud!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Maybe Arkansas should erect large warning billboards at all state borders with a list of the types of people that are not welcome in Arkansas, complete with a subline that reads: Enter at your own risk.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Not really on topic but...The confederate battleflag is a staple ANYWHERE people had ancestors who fought against each other and where the Civil War actually raged. The only places in this fine country you WON'T see people hoisting it are deep in the north where it was a given that you were going to fight for one specific side. Go visit Gettysburg one day and drive around that part of Pennsylvania and you'll see plenty of confederate flags flying from peoples homes and on their vehicles. So, even in the Union, where the war touched, the flag has lots of symbolism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas