Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:16 AM

354 posts, read 323,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Someone here is not being entirely honest. I think it goes along the same path as Malcolm X shirts and any other profession of race pride, generally accompanied by the same arguments to justify the symbols use. You do learn alot by the way a state's forum is conducted, if I didn't know people in Arkansas personally I would be backing off from even thinking about moving to Fayetteville due to some recent disturbing posts on this states forum.

I didn't agree with the way the op presented her post, but the responses to her weren't great either. But I will leave and go back where I belong, probably accompanied by good riddance.....I will also attempt to get this moderated.
Ok and whatever. have a good one and don't be a stranger. I notice that in many of these forums it seems to be ok for some to flame others but not ok for others to flame back. Seems to be the way of the world.

BTW, no state is perfect.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 AM

388 posts, read 1,782,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I just simply think the Arkansas forum should be for finding out generalities or getting more info on a place, not a place to start a race war. ...
And I agree with that.

The issue seems to be that many new posters do bring up race issues. There have been many threads along the lines of Inter-racial couple looking for info on xxxx or I'm concerned about moving to xxxx as I am xxxx.

If their questions are not answered honestly by those who live here, we're doing them a dis-service and the whole point of the board becomes moot.

Like it or not, race is something some people are very concerned about..

It is what it is.

There are very few regular posters on the Arkansas board...some are here to chat, some are here to assist others in their quest for information, some have other agendas, some transparent, some not so open and all we really know about each other is our "posted" views.

Even then, those of us who have established reputations and consistency in posts do not speak for the state...we speak for ourselves and our opinions are just that, our opinions and may or may not be representative of the state.

This forum should only be part of the research conducted prior to making a move, especially for someone with no experience of living in the south. Even then, a visit or two prior to making the move is, IMO, critical, and I don't mean a weekend in Hot Springs.

People need to see for themselves what it is, and I personnaly believe that folks need to rent for a few months to make sure this is the place for them before making such a critical life decision.

I'm proud of Arkansas too.

Although I lived in many different places in my life, it's always been home.

Some, years I didn't get to visit, but when I did, I was amazed at the changes, but even then I recognized there was a timelessness (to a certain extent) to the place.

I'm not embarrased by what others post...I have no control over that and if some of the readers assume that which is posted (including my own posts) speaks for all of Arkansas and for all areas are not being realistic.

Some people are going to believe the South is backward (not just Arkansas) no matter what the reality is, and quite frankly, I'd just as soon not attempt to convince them to move here.

It will save us a lot of problems in the future

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,239,137 times
Quote:
Someone here is not being entirely honest. I think it goes along the same path as Malcolm X shirts and any other profession of race pride, generally accompanied by the same arguments to justify the symbols use. You do learn alot by the way a state's forum is conducted, if I didn't know people in Arkansas personally I would be backing off from even thinking about moving to Fayetteville due to some recent disturbing posts on this states forum.

I didn't agree with the way the op presented her post, but the responses to her weren't great either. But I will leave and go back where I belong, probably accompanied by a good riddance post from someone else.....I will also attempt to get this moderated.

Hmmm...well, I'm being honest - I just think the Confederate flag is kind of cool, but I'm an Ole Miss girl, so what do I know?

Pearlbob is the moderator on the Arkansas thread, if that helps any...or mdz will step in if needed.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:28 AM

443 posts, read 1,563,703 times
well I'm breaking my own promise. The issue at hand, is that there is a certain stigma attributed to Arkansas. I have attempted at length to argue that it is not a real stigma when friends hear I am considering a move there, then I see topics pop up several times, and to my dismay several posters defending said topic. Which makes me doubt my own defense of the fair state. These racism posts rarely appear on the Dallas forums, nor Utah, Tennesse or North Carolina(All places I am looking into), I'm not sure why, I know it exists everywhere, but it makes you wonder about the prevalence of such attitudes when they actually make it onto the state forums with regularity. Then are backed up by several posters encouraging the attitude, it seems like a backwoods rally sometimes over here, maybe it is, fortunately if I go to Ar., it will be to Northwest Arkansas.

And no it's not a generalize indictment, Sam, Boulder, Magrack, and more are great representatives of the state. You just begin to wonder how high a percentage the other is, that's all. And i'm not meaning to start a ruckus, i'm genuinely curious, because that is why I'm here, to see if it could possibly fit my lifestyle because of the beauty of the place.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
This forum should only be part of the research conducted prior to making a move, especially for someone with no experience of living in the south. Even then, a visit or two prior to making the move is, IMO, critical, and I don't mean a weekend in Hot Springs.

People need to see for themselves what it is, and I personnaly believe that folks need to rent for a few months to make sure this is the place for them before making such a critical life decision.
Magrack, we're back on the same wavelength...I didn't shorten your post because I disagree, I just wanted to save space (and they all say "hallelujah!").

When we moved to the Caribbean, we were greatly encouraged to make what is known there as a PMV - a pre-move visit - where you don't stay in the glitzy hotel, but in a more "normal" apartment someone rented in the bottom of their home (which is very common there)....to learn our way around, go grocery shopping, travel at peak times on the roadways, learn the little things that make the islands so unique....and it helped ENORMOUSLY, although it didn't give us enough time to learn. However, we did see obstacles to overcome right out of the chute - the language barrier was the biggest one, but we got more of a view of life from ground level. Obviously, in spite of research, it didn't work out for us, but it does for a lot of people...I just know without having had a clue as to what we were doing by making several visits, we would have called it a wash a lot sooner - it was just too different than anything we'd ever known.

I couldn't agree more - before changing your life in a huge way, make visits to the areas you think you might like - talk with the people. Go to Wal Mart. Shop in the grocery stores. Drive in the traffic. Explore the neighborhoods. Strike up a conversation while you get your oil changed. You'll learn more from that experience than any forum could ever tell you, and you may very well find you don't like the politics, the attitudes, the smell of the town, the taste of the water, that it doesn't have the employment that feels right to you - but also bear in mind it will take at least a year to feel "home" anywhere, and home always has it's little "isms" that make life either uncomfortable, unbearable, or not worth worrying about.

Good advice.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And no it's not a generalize indictment, Sam, Boulder, Magrack, and more are great representatives of the state. You just begin to wonder how high a percentage the other is, that's all. And i'm not meaning to start a ruckus, i'm genuinely curious, because that is why I'm here, to see if it could possibly fit my lifestyle because of the beauty of the place.
To be honest, I'm starting to wonder myself, Mike - I really must get out more often, I've not heard the likes of this in 50 years in Arkansas...and you are absolutely correct - and so is whoever else mentioned it - for some reason, people ALWAYS ask if race will be an issue - and in my mind it is not, and in the minds of the people I know it is not.....but obviously there's a whole contingent out there I haven't met yet. I consider myself to be fairly well educated about Arkansas, we travel the state a LOT, but maybe I'm not seeing the forest for the trees....if it's not an issue for me and I've not witnessed it in motion, I don't see the issue. Dang, time for new glasses.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM

I have actually visted extensively and it seemed fine. Honestly, as much as I've travelled around the state all I've ever experienced was courtesy and respect, then again I'm white and originally from East Texas, the only thing that would openly show I'm not from Arkansas would be the plates on my car. I've actually been friends with folks in Arkansas and visited many times all over the state, I really am just rambling, cause I hate to see the racist stuff hit the forums. I'm basically being dramatic. Thanks for calling me on it, I probably needed it, my little voice told me I was getting carried away.

It's interesting because I've given the same come visit advice to folks wanting to move to Dallas.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Mike, I'm not calling you on anything! I truly am starting to wonder what kind of rose-colored glasses I have on that I've missed all this stuff going on in the background.....this is an indictment against ME, not you!

Speaking of indictments, anyone want to talk about Michael Vick or anything? This Arkansas race topic is probably going to pop up again in a couple of days, re-worded under another thread....we can discuss it then?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Speaking of indictments, anyone want to talk about Michael Vick or anything? This Arkansas race topic is probably going to pop up again in a couple of days, re-worded under another thread....we can discuss it then?[/quote]

Actually, probably has something to do with your absent moderator, lol, didn't think about that when I was wondering why there are so many blatant race posts on this forum.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 AM

388 posts, read 1,782,419 times
Most of my moving experiences differ.

I'd walk in the door and exclaim "I'm on orders!"

My wife would simply ask "Where and when?"

After a month or so we would be packed up and on the way mostly to places we had never been, but a couple of times to places we had been stationed previously.

No choice, no pick and choose, no argument. When we moved we always had to live locally, not on the base, and we always found something good about where we lived.

Always found something we didn't like too.

What we did find was that basically, people are people, and that other than terrain or weather and some small differences in demographics, there's not a great deal of difference in most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas