Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 16,399 times

Advertisements

Arkansas really needs a pro sports team and I am not talking about minor league stuff alright. I'm talking about MLB, NFL, NHL. The people of this state deserve it and I want to know how long it will take. Little Rock can and will support a pro sports team because of the capital's central location in the state. This way no matter where in the state you live you will still have a small amount of travel time to make it to the game. LETS GO ARKANSANS WAKE UP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 PM

388 posts, read 1,780,122 times
While I agree that the state can support a pro sports franchise, I'm not so sure the people are willing to pay to get one.

The franchise owners demand too many concessions from the populace.

Stadiums built from public money, tax breaks, parking/food concession splits, and so on.

Using public money to support a private business to that degree just doesn't sit too well for my conservative nature.

But on the other hand maybe the business it would bring to the state might offset some of that.

Good luck with your quest.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:57 PM

154 posts, read 677,042 times
Punky - I don't see top level professional sports laying down roots in Arkansas any time soon as I just don't think we have the population for a potential fan base to support a team. The Razorbacks are top dog when it comes to the major sports (football, baseball, basketball) and it is just within the last 5 years that Razorback Stadium is consistently sold out for football games.

I am pleased to see Springdale getting a minor league baseball team and next year Rogers is hosting an LPGA event (women's professional golf), and of course we have the Travelers and arena league football teams. Our neighbors are within easy driving distance for pro level sports as well (Memphis has an NBA team, KC has the Chiefs and Royals, Dallas has it all).

If I had to say one sport that may surprise me and locate a professional team in either central Arkansas or NWA it would be Major League Soccer.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,800,235 times
Major league sports are pretty much governed by television market size because that's where the sponsors get the real money, from advertisements. Since Little Rock is the 57th largest tv market in the US, a lot of larger markets would have to be passed over that currently don't have professional sports franchises. Hartford will probably be the next place to get an NHL team, and I wouldn't doubt that OkC will be getting an NBA team after their strong support for the Hornets. You can count Little Rock, OkC, Birmingham, or any other city out for the NFL. The NFL is pretty much coveted as THE sport that puts a city on the map and until LA gets an NFL franchise, that pretty much leaves everyone else on the outside looking in.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
I just don't see the support for major league sports in Arkansas anymore than I would I New Mexico. Minor leagues yes, but I think people in AR will have to be contenst with the Dallas Cowboys, God forbid, the Tenn Titans, St Louis Cards, etc. There are others but I can't think right now. I will be content to having a good college football team after 6 years in NM. Shame on me....

Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 PM

157 posts, read 851,146 times
sounds great, keep dreaming, North Dakota is more likely to get a pro team LOL

Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 AM

50 posts, read 316,776 times
Default a little off subject but...

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor I heard yesterday? Now don't quote me, it was just hearsay, but someone told me that Dallas was going to get a pro football team. What do you think?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 AM

154 posts, read 677,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor I heard yesterday? Now don't quote me, it was just hearsay, but someone told me that Dallas was going to get a pro football team. What do you think?
Yea - I heard the same thing ... sounds like they signed some tall lanky German guy named Dirk to be the QB!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:51 AM

443 posts, read 1,560,834 times
Isn't that the truth, poor New Mexicans don't even have a college team that is worth a flip. Just fodder for the big boys like Arkansas and Texas to beat up on every non conference season. I guess be happy you have the hogs and call it at that. New Orleans is depending on divine intervention to basically hold on to their football and basketball teams and they've got a larger population than the entire state of Arkansas within 100 miles.

Except for the Green Bay anomaly, you pretty much need at least 2 million people in a commuting area for an NFL team, Heck there's over 3 million in the San Antonio-Austin area and they can't get anyone to look at them. Goes down to around a million for Basketball. Little Rock is a little over 630k for the metro, so unfortunately, not close for a pro team. I would imagine Little Rock was included in a demographic circle for Memphis to get their team even, so be happy there's an NBA team within 3 hours I guess.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 53,590 times
I personally do not think that Arkansas needs any pro teams. I had moved to Hot Springs in Jan 2002 and lived there until Sept. 2006 when I moved back to Texas. I miss Arkansas more than I ever thought I would. And let me tell you that part of the charm there is the fan base for one college team...GO HOGS!! I find myself now back in Texas "Callin The Hogs". LOL I think Arkansas does just fine with the Razorbacks. People there are more passionate about that college team than people will ever be here in Texas over their Pro Teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas