Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,479,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If it is weight limits on big rigs that is the problem, how are the other 45 states that performed better on the survey dealing with the problem. I think blaming it on trucking is just a bunch of huey. It is not like Arkansas is the only state that has big rigs on the highways and interstates.
Quite frankly, other than a couple of Sun Belt states, my observation is that roads all over the country are varying degrees of abysmal, generally speaking. I suspect it's like an obesity study -- Arkansas may be one of the fattest states, but the least fat state is probably just a few percentage points better.

Obviously, it's more than just big rigs. States have to commit more resources to road maintenance, and they're not all equal in that respect. But I've noticed over the years that more weigh stations are closed or allowed to be bypassed by truckers, and there are fewer DOTs on the roads. And we haven't even touched on the maintence of big rigs and the safety issues that arise from that -- all of the blown tires and tread laying on roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,903,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Quite frankly, other than a couple of Sun Belt states, my observation is that roads all over the country are varying degrees of abysmal, generally speaking. I suspect it's like an obesity study -- Arkansas may be one of the fattest states, but the least fat state is probably just a few percentage points better.

Obviously, it's more than just big rigs. States have to commit more resources to road maintenance, and they're not all equal in that respect. But I've noticed over the years that more weigh stations are closed or allowed to be bypassed by truckers, and there are fewer DOTs on the roads. And we haven't even touched on the maintence of big rigs and the safety issues that arise from that -- all of the blown tires and tread laying on roads.
In Arkansas, we seem to have a few more problems that are brought about by Shale drilling. In addition to possible Earth Quakes brought on by drilling for shale, it seems to be creating havoc for the roads, which has required weight reductions.
State Highway Department Lowers Weight Limits in Fayetteville Shale - ArkansasMatters.com

Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM

90 posts, read 288,818 times
I think the point that was being made on the locaol news station this morning was that the trucking industry and their current weight limits put further stress on the road systems, which are not beefy enough to handle the load. It's not blaming all the road problems on the trucking industry, it's just stating that the current weight limits aren't helping matters. Changing the weight limits alone would not solve the problem, but it's a step that may need to be taken.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,426,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacaGuru View Post
I think the point that was being made on the locaol news station this morning was that the trucking industry and their current weight limits put further stress on the road systems, which are not beefy enough to handle the load. It's not blaming all the road problems on the trucking industry, it's just stating that the current weight limits aren't helping matters. Changing the weight limits alone would not solve the problem, but it's a step that may need to be taken.
1-with a few exceptions [mostly coal carriers] federal law mandates truck weights on Interstate highways. 80,000 pounds gross. 12,000 lbs. on the steer axle.34,000 lbs.on the drive axle and 34,000 lbs. on the rear axle. 80,000lb trucks are not the problem. You would rather have lighter loads and MORE trucks? That would only exascerbate the problem and add to already too high product costs because more trucks means burning more expensive diesel fuel.
2- Alot of the problems on Arkansas roads are a result of fluxuating temperatures. Y'all get every kind of weather imaginable. Hot. Cold. Rain. Snow and ice. The asphalt used in Arkansas needs to be mixed with something like "slag" or "mill scale" [byproducts of the steel manufacturing process] to make it more weather resistant. And at only $5.00 per ton it wont add too much to the road improvement costs.
More trucks with lighter loads is not the answer.
Capt. Dan

Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM

41 posts, read 129,227 times
I drive to and from the Gulf of Mexico every 3 weeks. I'm actually pleased with the progress made on Highway 65 from Little Rock down to Eudora and the Louisiana state line.

But once in Louisiana, pull your seat belt tighter.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM

90 posts, read 288,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
1-with a few exceptions [mostly coal carriers] federal law mandates truck weights on Interstate highways. 80,000 pounds gross. 12,000 lbs. on the steer axle.34,000 lbs.on the drive axle and 34,000 lbs. on the rear axle. 80,000lb trucks are not the problem. You would rather have lighter loads and MORE trucks? That would only exascerbate the problem and add to already too high product costs because more trucks means burning more expensive diesel fuel.
2- Alot of the problems on Arkansas roads are a result of fluxuating temperatures. Y'all get every kind of weather imaginable. Hot. Cold. Rain. Snow and ice. The asphalt used in Arkansas needs to be mixed with something like "slag" or "mill scale" [byproducts of the steel manufacturing process] to make it more weather resistant. And at only $5.00 per ton it wont add too much to the road improvement costs.
More trucks with lighter loads is not the answer.
Capt. Dan
Good points! I wasn't advocating for the weight limits being lowered, I was simply stating what the state is proposing it can do to fix the issue. I believe I agreed with you, in that lowering weight limits isn't the answer or the only answer, because the roads are poorly constructed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6genet View Post

But once in Louisiana, pull your seat belt tighter.
Exactly!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM

63 posts, read 225,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Everyone knows you have to go 88 mph for time travel.
HAHAHA! I LOVE that movie!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM

77 posts, read 237,906 times
All Arkansas has to do is stop building completely useless roads, granted it is nothing like those interchanges in Texas, but still did a new interchange have to be built outside of Harrison, on the way to Branson? Did Flippin Arkansas really need a bypass? Most of these towns should only qualify for gravel roads. There is no reason to build quality roads to towns in the sticks to "encourage" development, out in the sticks.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,270 times
^^Seems like bypassing those poor little towns does them more harm than good anyway. Walmart and fast food goes up along the bypass, killing the rest of the town. Happens every time.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM

807 posts, read 2,506,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
^^Seems like bypassing those poor little towns does them more harm than good anyway. Walmart and fast food goes up along the bypass, killing the rest of the town. Happens every time.
Yup!

And Louisiana roads are pretty bad! Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas