Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
^^Seems like bypassing those poor little towns does them more harm than good anyway. Walmart and fast food goes up along the bypass, killing the rest of the town. Happens every time.
I'm a fan of the Flippin bypass- Flippin (and Yellville, but so far no bypass for it) are/were big choke points for the truck traffic that travels on 412 in north central Arkansas and it has certainly helped alleviate that, but it does seem overbuilt for the current traffic load (a 2 lane bypass would have probably done the job for a while, but I suppose this is a longer term planned road). It didn't kill the rest of the town though- Flippin planned ahead and manage to get their new supercenter built right next to downtown by offering a good deal on land there instead of out on the new bypass. Proof that small town administration can make a big difference if they really try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,882 times
Angry Can't tell any differance

I live in Melbourne,AR land of the High Breed Rednecks, Some HBR people here think speed bumps can help the community and the only thing I have seen that benefits from speed bumps was the pot holes now are in front and behind the speed bump now and I can't tell the difference between speed bumps, chuck holes, pot hole's and man hole covers.
Our black top streets now are large black rocks that can take out gas lines, brake lines and oil filters along with one oil pan.
The kids here have contest to see who can finish the baha area by the AR St. college in the shortest time to get to there classes, we built a new street "College Drive" for them and they still use the back streets to get to the college? smart students?
The city has no money to repair the streets and the college says they are getting more students, well that will really fix our streets for sure. I wish the state would take this college and put it out on a county road that is gravel already and they would be like pigs in slop now wouldn't they?
The city's answer to the problem was to put up 25 MPH speed signs, which is still 20 MPH to fast for black rock conditions. Please, don't come to our town during a bad rain storm because 1. we flood a lot. 2. you can't see whats under the water on the streets, we don't call our streets streets any more, they are streaks, because that's all you will see is streaks of a street or what we think a street should look like, its been so long that we all almost forgot what a nice street or road looks like..

Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 AM

92 posts, read 229,819 times
Wow, I'm surprised what is being said about the roads in Arkansas. Compared to roads in Maryland and Penn, they are great !! The roads we travel in Arkansas (Northeast, North Central and even the roads around Jasper, etc) are in great shape, very little pot holes, nice road surface, and so on. We travel some very small backroads too and have no problems. Maybe our area is the exception.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axehandlebill View Post
I live in Melbourne,AR land of the High Breed Rednecks, Some HBR people here think speed bumps can help the community and the only thing I have seen that benefits from speed bumps was the pot holes now are in front and behind the speed bump now and I can't tell the difference between speed bumps, chuck holes, pot hole's and man hole covers.
Our black top streets now are large black rocks that can take out gas lines, brake lines and oil filters along with one oil pan.
The kids here have contest to see who can finish the baha area by the AR St. college in the shortest time to get to there classes, we built a new street "College Drive" for them and they still use the back streets to get to the college? smart students?
The city has no money to repair the streets and the college says they are getting more students, well that will really fix our streets for sure. I wish the state would take this college and put it out on a county road that is gravel already and they would be like pigs in slop now wouldn't they?
The city's answer to the problem was to put up 25 MPH speed signs, which is still 20 MPH to fast for black rock conditions. Please, don't come to our town during a bad rain storm because 1. we flood a lot. 2. you can't see whats under the water on the streets, we don't call our streets streets any more, they are streaks, because that's all you will see is streaks of a street or what we think a street should look like, its been so long that we all almost forgot what a nice street or road looks like..
I wonder how long it took you to find this 2 year plus old thread? And I wonder if you are expecting to see any changes? At least you have had a change to rant; I hope it made you feel a little better.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresusa View Post
Wow, I'm surprised what is being said about the roads in Arkansas. Compared to roads in Maryland and Penn, they are great !! The roads we travel in Arkansas (Northeast, North Central and even the roads around Jasper, etc) are in great shape, very little pot holes, nice road surface, and so on. We travel some very small backroads too and have no problems. Maybe our area is the exception.
We have lived and/or visited all over the country and I don't think AR has roads any different than many other places. We have seen good AR roads and some pretty crappy ones, but this goes for every state. I think the worst we have seen, in recent years, might be OK. It isn't how bad they are, as much as they are always working on them, but never seem to get anywhere.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,645 times
I think that the problem is that Arkansas is a very rural state, and because of this, they have a lot of political power from the rural parts of the state which explains why you have nice and smooth 4-lane highways in little hamlets with a population of 400, but Little Rock and Fayetteville may have horrible two-lane roads in parts of town that needs six-lane highways. If we ever get to the point where 80% of Arkansans lived in the metro areas, then more nice roads would be built and maintained in areas that we actually go to.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The dummies that wrote that article have obviously never been in Arkansas. I've taken several trips to the state, and IMHO, has the best roads of any state bar none. What they don't know is that its a lot easier to have accidents on all those curves.Plus its mostly 2 lane roads. They are not as safe either, but Ark does not have the traffic volume or population to need or pay for 4 lane freeways everywhere. Motorcyclists like me love ARK because of the great roads.

If you want to see crappy roads, travel in ILL or Wisconsin.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 AM

733 posts, read 1,755,635 times
I personally haven't had any problems...until some faulty construction on 540 between Springdale and Fayetteville just yesterday. They did some small construction on the road. You can see the construction that was done, but you can't at all see the HUGE bump that comes along with the constructed zone until it's too late. Even worse, they don't have a sign warning you of the bump. So me and all of the cars around me went over the bump going 70 miles an hour. Not a great feeling at all! It was one of those bumps where it's basically a small drop then a few feet after, you go over another huge bump getting out of the constructed zone. I was honestly worried about whether anything was done to my tires or not. Someone was stopped about 1/4th of a mile up the road from the bump, likely because they had to check their car. If anyone on here travels from Fayetteville to the North daily, then you probably know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I personally haven't had any problems...until some faulty construction on 540 between Springdale and Fayetteville just yesterday. They did some small construction on the road. You can see the construction that was done, but you can't at all see the HUGE bump that comes along with the constructed zone until it's too late. Even worse, they don't have a sign warning you of the bump. So me and all of the cars around me went over the bump going 70 miles an hour. Not a great feeling at all! It was one of those bumps where it's basically a small drop then a few feet after, you go over another huge bump getting out of the constructed zone. I was honestly worried about whether anything was done to my tires or not. Someone was stopped about 1/4th of a mile up the road from the bump, likely because they had to check their car. If anyone on here travels from Fayetteville to the North daily, then you probably know what I'm talking about.
We have driven pretty much the entire state and the biggest problem we have seen is a little construction here and there: yes, 540 can always be a pain. Traffic going east or west, from the OK border to 540 (X 72) can be a pain and of course around 540 and Walnut/Walton but that is true in almost any state you live in. There is some construction going on most of the time as you get close to Little Rock as well. I think those who do these stupid surveys and studies have never driven in unban traffic and depend on public transportation most of the time. I don't think congested roads necessarily mean bad ones. Our outlining roads are darn good I think.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 662 times
Y'all just need to chill... You shouldn't be such a pessimist... You should be thankful there are roads or that you have a car for that manner. Think if you had to walk that far every time you wanted to travel. If it was possible I'd like to see y'all with no roads or a car for a week. See how your life would be then. When it rained the roads would be mud pits and YOU would have to trek through them. Be thankful for what you have, and don't complain about what you don't have. If you really don't like them that much then the door is always open for you to get yourself out of the great state of Arkansas and go somewhere where they have "good" roads. We don't want you here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas