U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2011, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,198 times
Default moving to fort smith, ar.

My husband and I are moving from Columbia, Missouri to Fort Smith in June. My husband is working for a non-profit organization for sustainable agriculture. I have some questions about the town & real flavor.

1. Is the public library decent? Are there a variety of books on homesteading, gardening, raising livestock, crafts, cooking, etc.?
2. What is the best site to look for rented housing? We are interested in living outside of the city so we can rent some land. Do you know if this is a possibility?
3. Are there any local coffee shops?
4. Can you have chickens in your backyard?
5. Do you see commuters by bike?
6. Where are some of the more progressive neighborhoods?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM

989 posts, read 920,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnwc3 View Post
My husband and I are moving from Columbia, Missouri to Fort Smith in June. My husband is working for a non-profit organization for sustainable agriculture. I have some questions about the town & real flavor.

1. Is the public library decent? Are there a variety of books on homesteading, gardening, raising livestock, crafts, cooking, etc.?
2. What is the best site to look for rented housing? We are interested in living outside of the city so we can rent some land. Do you know if this is a possibility?
6. Where are some of the more progressive neighborhoods?

Thanks so much!
1. The library is good just go to Fort Smith Public Library and you can search their catalog, if they don't have what you need they can often borrow it from another library.
2. Are you talking land like a big backyard for a garden or like 100 acres?
3. Sacred Grounds is the best I've tried. There is also sweet bay and they actually have on inside the library lol.
4. Yes, depending on the neigborhood, but I'm not positive on the legallity aspect.
5. Some but not a lot
6. Well if you want to live outside of city limits I don't think you will find anywhere progressive. The neighborhoods around uafs will probably be more progressive I guess. Maybe some pockets of it in some of the older neighborhoods around downtown.

Last edited by FriendlyFeller; 04-22-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,143,825 times
Quote:

6. Where are some of the more progressive neighborhoods? No chickens in the back yard there. You may want to define progressive.

Thanks so much!
1. Yes
2. Do not know
3. Sacred grounds in the city. I don't believe there is very much outside of the city
4. No chickens in the city...I am guessing.
5. Commuting by bike is difficult. Not many bike lanes on the roads.
6. Fianna Hills. It would be a suburb of Fort Smith.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,060,921 times
You also might want to check out Van Buren, just across the Arkansas River from Fort Smith, and/or Greenwood, Sebastian County's other county seat (there are two - Fort Smith and Greenwood!), which is about fifteen miles away.

Fort Smith's library has very helpful staff and an excellent local history department. There is a nice little branch library in Greenwood.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,198 times
thanks so much, everyone, for your very useful information.
i will definitely check out the library & coffee shop.
also- we are looking at living on about two acres.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 AM

989 posts, read 920,770 times
Quote:
thanks so much, everyone, for your very useful information.
i will definitely check out the library & coffee shop.
also- we are looking at living on about two acres.

I've never heard of anyone renting 2 acres. I think I would either go ahead and try to get financing or just settle for a big back yard for now.

There is also an almost brand new public library in Van Buren that I haven't been inside.

Barling is also not a bad suburb and the rent might be a little less. It's also close to all the building that is going on out on chaffee crossing which should be exiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas